FANFICTION COMPETITION ENTRY

.Kirst

Lost

For the longest time, I did not know. I did not know a lot of things, I didn't know the importance or value of anything, I didn't know how to see through stereotypes or cons or plain truths disguised as lies. These simple things, things my mind could easily penetrate, I did not know how to beat, because for the longest time I did not care. My life, if that's what you call it, was darkened by a burden, knowing that I should have died and that nothing was left for me in the world, and the fear that I would never know what was at the other side. But in many ways, I knew this was my destiny. And that I had to live with it. But it didn't make up for the endless days of suffering, lost in darkness and inner pain, the sort of pain that could rip you apart yet leave every physical aspect of your body in tact. A silent killer, depression. I think... I think before the day she came into my life, I spent every day wishing to die, but knowing that I couldn't, and that if I could it wouldn't be pleasant, nor easy. But the day before I saw her was the day I had really considered it, dying. But then, I did see her. And then only three things occupied my mind, constantly. My constant thoughts revolved around her. One, her beauty was overwhelming. I had never seen a human like her before. She was perfect in every way possible - the sort of perfect that would really shock you, the sort of perfect that was so natural and the sort of perfect that would make any girl long to be you. Two, the smell. I had truly never had such a beautiful sent greet my senses - and it was hard not to bite, drink, right there and then in the cafeteria. Three, the thing keeping me from biting. An instant rush of longing far beyond that of a meal, something I had not felt for a human ever - for anyone ever. It was love, and not the high school type of long term fling. Love. Stark, humane, bare, exposed. For once in my life, both my lives, I felt like I truly was meant to be here, right now. And I was not lost.

Jade Lucas

Edited by .Kirst

I love the connection you made to Bella's line about the three things she was "absolutely positive" of in Twilight. You definitely captured the essence of what it is to be Edward. I can just see Edward seething his way through nearly a century of lifeless life. Really great writing!