Universe premiere is 'Air'

Tanith

Source: Gateworld

The first working title of Stargate Universe has been revealed, kicking off the next era of our episode-by-episode coverage. The series premiere of the third live-action Stargate series will be titled "Air," according to executive producer Joseph Mallozzi.

Written by series co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, the episode will, of course, introduce the young new team and get them stuck on board the Ancient ship Destiny -- sent out eons ago to explore worlds where another ship had automatically seeded Stargates.

"Air" is currently at the script stage, and looks like it may expand to three hours, Mallozzi said.

The title is a bit more nondescript than SG-1's "Children of the Gods" and Atlantis's "Rising." Just how "air" is related to the episode's central plot remains to be seen.

"So far, Martin, Carl, and Alan have put out outlines (and I've already provided notes on all three), and Rob and Brad have put out the first draft of the opening three-parter, 'Air,' which puts me tied for last place with Paul (who, I'm assuming, is just about finished his pass on our outline for the SGA movie). Priority #1 now for me is hammering out an outline for the first part of the SGU mid-season two-parter.

"From what I understand, casting is still ongoing but I expect we'll be hearing word on some decisions soon."

Keep in mind that the episode title, as well as other details about the new series, is subject to change as it goes through the production pipeline. Watch the Season One episode guide for the very latest updates.

Check out GateWorld's Stargate Universe Launch Center to learn more about the new show! The series begins filming in February, and will premiere on the SCI FI Channel in the U.S. next summer.