2 things that could be improved...

prisoner6

Hi,

Collectormania 8 was the third event both myself and my fiance have attended (we travelled up from Liverpool) - we stayed for the 3 days this time too so we coud have a shopping session and try out the Xscape venue - very cool place. :(

I myself, like to see the stars (old and new), but am not into the whole autograph/pic scene - its nice to see them and then move along - we both enjoy the events, and are ready for the Birmingham convention and the first gmex event. There are 2 areas that I think could be improved upon with the Milton Keynes venue however, from our past experiences at this event.

The first is the party that is advertised on the brochure - we went to the last party at collectormania 7, and were left a little underwhelmed by the high ticket price, but lack of entertainment/ammenities. I think it would be great if the ticket price was raised to say, 45/50 pounds, and a night (say the saturday), is set up, from 7pm till 1pm - during this time, people can visit the location (wherever that may be) and mingle with other collectors/fans, there is a buffet or barbecue layed on, plus the talks are held in one location - a quiz or some other form of entertainment would be great too, plus I'm sure it would help guests to think about travelling to the party, rather than its current state, where its a bit hit and miss (no offence, but the effort was so clearly lacking when we attended and I was at the point of asking for a refund after only 30mins at the 'party') - I think the party advertising should be removed from the brochure/website, until showmasters exploit the parties great potential, in favour of the customer, rather than a soft £15 entry fee with no imagination or forsight put into its execution.

The second problem is the obvious location - It think a designated event arena (i.e. GMEX), will help with the whole attitude that certain guests have when signing. I understand the problems that people have expressed with Shatner for example, but the policing of such stars is difficult when their locations are obviously totally unmanageable - the first location for shatner was in the 'windowed' corridor at the shopping centre - where people could peer through and take pics - with such a star, would'nt it be best to camoflague these areas, block all the windows, and prepare ahead of time? That way, the people paying a large sum (£25 is alot of money), would be queueing without the pic snappers and hecklers, and the visit would be more personal, and I'm sure a more rewarding experience overall. At the event, anyone could have snapped pics of shatner and be quite happy, without forking out any dosh - if the guy was totally secluded and queue's were formed with better privacy and security, maybe Shatners agent would allow a minute of conversation, or at least some pleasantries, instead of hording people through, and flicking through the numbers.

Just some thoughts - we do enjoy the events though, cheers.

:D

Edited by prisoner6

in my opinion, the party is what you make it. i had a great time hanging out with my friends and chatting to new people and have done at all the past parties.

880235[/snapback]

I totally agree - I really enjoyed the Party. I was in great company :D

Yeah, but to promote it as a main attraction at the event is strange, as the effort that goes into it is -bizzarely- of such a low standard - I'm only asking for value for money - the collectormania party clearly is'nt.

Was the ticket price still £15 this time around?

I know its up to each person to decide if they want to go or not - I think its a great idea to be honest, but it needs implementing to a greater standard, other wise, whats the point? We were going to try again this time around, but chose a night out at the xscape - I would like to go to an evening get together which involved talks and a buffet - I would pay a higher ticket price if it was worth it - I just can't get my head around the advertising for the party on the website and handouts - it should be worth it...its not.

:D

Edited by prisoner6

Totally agree with Prisoner6 (not a number, a free man, love the Prisoner), the party is not worth the ticket price. Okay, so the party is what you make it, hanging with friends etc etc, but that could be done in a pub with £15 each left to spend on drinks.

The party is embarrassing. Like being at a distant relatives wedding reception.

Not saying i had a really bad time, just not very good.

As a side note, looking at the handout I have, the 'party' advertising for Collectormania 8 makes up 20% of the flyer - out of interest, who represents Showmasters on this forum, for feedback/queries? - I'm pretty new to the forum you see. I was wondering if there will be any improvements to this area in the future - also, at the G-Mex, will there be a party/talks (combined) - if so, where/what will this consist of?

Cheers,

:unsure:

Hi,

I think that the Collectormania party is a great idea, but more thought needs to go into it.

It's true that you and friends make the night great, but if you are going to a private event (that you are paying for) you expect something a bit different from a typical Saturday night at a bar. Prisoner6, I like your idea of goody bags. But could I suggest maybe doing throughout-the-night activities such as film quizzes, BBQ's or buffets (You know what British weather is like!) How about a theme night where the place is decorated (doesn't have to be amazing - just the general gist of theme), and/or people come in fancy dress (competitions).

If the stars turn up - great. I'm not that bothered (They probably want to rest and chill out after their long day signing). But they may be more encouraged to turn up if they are aware that the event has been planned and prepared for - and that everyone is in for a treat!

I don't mind paying a fee to go to a organised private party, but I do mind paying £15 to sit (and dance) in a social club.

On a nicer note --- go and see Wallace & Gromit - its fab!!!