Today's thoughts

Just thought I'd give a quick round up of my day at the convention.

Got there at 11:15am, and waited in the queue outside for about 15mins. The £5.00 entry fee was a reasonable price and I was happy to see that once you got inside the doors, the whole arena looked nice and spacious (and was air conditioned!).

The quality of dealers was pretty good. Although I wasn't looking for any particular memorabilia, I did enjoy browsing and was delighted to see that there were guests signing on some dealer stands.

I was disappointed with the Jeff Wayne setup. I purchased the revised 'War of the Worlds' Musical Edition CD for £15.00, which was pretty good. The sales woman asked if I would like it signed, as Jeff was right next to her. I said absolutely, that would be great. She replied saying that would be an extra £20.00 for the signature. Come on guys! I've just purchased an item from you, the man is sitting right there next to you on his own - I mean, what does it take to just sign a CD for nothing?! Ronny Cox sold his CDs at another convention with free signatures!

The main guest signing area was as hectic as usual. They seem to be getting worse the more times I go to these shows. The virtual queuing system seems to work, but only just. There definitely needs to be more structure to these areas. There were too many people in the queue being cut up by other people walking through the area. I saw many frustrated looking people.

I decided to get my first autograph from Cassandra Peterson. She was a really nice woman. Took time to speak with me and also pose for a photo. Her bodyguard/assistant-woman (no offence if this description doesn't fit who she actually is), was also very pleasant and helpful.

The only other autograph I got was Kate Mulgrew. This was by pure accident as well, as I had just decided to leave the convention, when I realised her queue was 'open'. Thrilled to bits, I stood behind two people in front of me, and waited impatiently to meet someone I had watched for many, many years on Voyager. The moment came and went within 30secs!! No kidding. I said hello to her, she said nothing and didn't even look at me. She wasn't posing for photos, so the kind LFCC helper took a photo of her while she signed my photo. When she finished, I said thank you very much. She just looked at me and smiled a little, and sent me on my merry way. Or should I say, 'unmerry' way. I was devastated!! I was so annoyed that I felt sick I just gave her £20.00 for that experience.

I had no one behind me in the queue during that freak quiet period, but she still rushed me through as though she was on auto-pilot. I spent 7 years of my life watching this woman in one of my favourite shows, and spent hundreds of pounds on ALL the Voyager videos. And all I got was a 30sec wham bam. For which I had to pay £20.00. Very disappointing.

Anyway, to end on a high note. I had an enjoyable day. It was much more relaxing than walking around Collectormania. More spacious. I think Collectormania needs to move its location at some point. Shoppers just get in the way.

P.S. One last thing, why the hell does Val Kilmer bother saying yes to anything.

Edited by JonasQuinn.com

Sorry to hear about your experience with Kate Mulgrew. Isn't it horrible when the people you admire are such a let down?

I would have been furious too mainly for parting with the hard earned cash. :lol:

Glad the rest of your day turned out ok :lol:

I agree about Collectormania in a way. The shoppers are a bit of a nuisance always gawking and getting in the way of lines!! The atmosphere is way better there though...I don't why exactly. Wembley was a horrible venue....so I'm wondering how ppl feel about Earl's Court? As I can't get to this event.....grrrr!

Marks out of 10?

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get what you expected from kate. It happened to me at the galileo7 convention in germany in 2003. She just signed my pic and didn't look up. But you have to understand she would probably have been very tired after a long day of signing 700/800 autographs. It's just impossible to talk to every single one of them.

I had my autograph signed as well but she was SO kind to me and my friends! She said hello, took our gifts and thanked us, asked us where we are from and asked us how we where. She even posed for some of my friends even though she wasn't allowed to do so. She even interrupted her break to pose with our group(the girls with the 'Tea at five' shirts on). I guess you just had some bad luck, just like I had 2 years ago. But really, don't feel bad about her now! She is only human and she can't be happy and chatty all the time. You came at the end of the day, of course she is tired and of course she wants to leave and go back to the hotel! I hope you will have more luck the next time you see her! Because it is worth it, she is one hell of a lady but only human...

Janeway / fell_beast - many thanks indeed for your replies and kind words.

You're right. It WAS the end of the day, and now I've calmed down a bit, I can understand that she must have been exhausted. Voyager is still excellent, and she's still excellent as well :)

With regards to the venue marks out of 10, I would have to give it a 4 for location (actually getting there from where I leave in Berkshire), and a 9 for space. I agree that Collectormania IS more intimate and much more fun. I think it's because one feels part of a large special group. I always go up there on a Friday, and feel that the people who are there for the guests and the dealers are equally as committed as I, having taken the day off work. So, you feel part of something - difficult to explain.

Janeway - I saw your group with your 'Tea' t-shirts on - what does it represent by the way?

P.S. Also forgot to warn people - the lighting around the guest area is dreadful. I have a pretty decent digital camera and found it very difficult to take good quality, bright photos. As well as the rather low lighting, I also think the huge grey background behind the guests perhaps threw off the colour balance a little. I'm no photographer so I could be talking nonsense of course :)

Edited by JonasQuinn.com

Tea at five is a play Kate is currently doing, it's about the life of Katharine Hepburn. It's very succesful in the USA, and it's been touring around the country for 3 years now. Now we are trying to get this play to europe so we can see it too. Kate already said she would love to do it, so there is a change we might succeed! That's what the shirts are for. To show Kate there are a lot of people who would love to see the play :lol:

And I'm glad you don't feel bad about Kate anymore! :lol:

P.S. One last thing, why the hell does Val Kilmer bother saying yes to anything.

Val Kilmer was NEVER going to be there today. It was posted on his website weeks ago that he wasn't going to be able to attend on the Saturday.

Showmasters decided to tell everyone otherwise in an attempt to drum up some much needed support for the event.

So you can make your own mind up as to whether or not everyone was lied to.

Edited by The Cleaner

The Cleaner - many thanks for the 'heads up' on the Val non-appearance.

I don't like it when organisers use false information to promote their events. Let's hope this was just a misunderstanding of some kind, or lack of communication, rather than any lying.

The Cleaner - many thanks for the 'heads up' on the Val non-appearance.

I don't like it when organisers use false information to promote their events. Let's hope this was just a misunderstanding of some kind, or lack of communication, rather than any lying.

*Reads Showmasters' rap sheet*

Sadly, I doubt it.

I had a lovely day. I only planned to definitely meet Billy and I did, he was sweet and friendly and posed for a photo. I got to talk to him later on when his queue had disappeared too, and got a hug. His talk was fun, relaxed and I liked the fact that he stood up the whole time instead of sitting down so no-one could see him.

The only other person I considered maybe meeting was Val Kilmer so of course I was disappointed he wasn't there but it's not that big a deal.

I had a chat with quite a few of the stallholders during the morning and they all seemed to be disappointed at the turn-out of people, it was very quiet at that time, around 11.30ish, but it did seem to have picked up in the afternoon. I think compared with CM it can seem a little 'empty' because the aisles between the stalls are so much wider and so the space doesnt look filled. The atmosphere was good though I thought, especially while the talks were going on as you could hear the laughter and applause around the hall.