I Spit On Your Grave Remake

danvader123@hotmail.co.uk

i_spit_on_your_grave.jpg

went into the Fantasia festival screening of this Meir Zarchi produced remake fresh, with no personal comparisons to make to his landmark picture (both he and new director Steven R. Monroe were in attendance, along with lead actress Sarah Butler and producer Lisa Hansen). And not knowing many more specifics than the 30 year+ legends of this story. I can say I was impressed with what new writers Stuart Morse and Jeffrey Reddick and the fine cast have presented and how the talented director interpreted it! Be warned, those who don't like gore or explicit depictions of heinous events. This is probably not the flick you should check out! But if you're strong stomached enough to handle recent "torture don't read, mods please delete" that has little or no conscience in it's artistry (which this will be dismissed as by many, but I think it's really NOT), then you might dare to watch.

Sarah Butler's Jennifer Hills character is a young writer seeking serenity to help the process of completing her newest book. What she has forced upon her soon after arriving and adjusting to the rustic peace of a lakeside rental cabin are amongst the most disturbing scenes I have ever witnessed and I've seen many intense, horrifying films in my life. Her performance for me ranks with the great turns of fellow big screen rape survivors, such as Ned Beatty in Deliverance and Jodie Foster in The Accused! Butler's shattering, heart stopping and completely believable performance of a woman in this nightmarish ordeal is never exploitative (and neither is Monroe's direction of the attack). The raw brutality of sexual assault is shown in the proper context. That is, a crime of power, domination and humiliation. I had much doubt before the show about how I'd react to these moments. And my feelings are Butler is so good in the role originated by Camille Keaton that this remake will become a worthy debate subject fuse for the limits of extreme subject matter in modern mainstream film. One might not like ISOYG as a work of art about deadly serious hypotheses on crime, but nobody can find artistic fault with Butler's terrific work here. Bravo, Sarah!

Chad Lindberg has almost as difficult a task, portraying a mentally challenged man who's compelled by the thugs he grew up with (uniformly great Daniel Franzese, Jeff Branson, Rodney Eastman and a new contender for the most despicable poster boy for smiling evil, Andrew Howard) to lead the gang rape proceedings. His take on the fragile, but still capable of unspeakable violence Matthew is heartbreaking in it's delicacy AND ferocity. Watching him and Butler together during the prolonged attack was among the most painful moments for me. Lindberg delivers a multi-dimensional, impressive turn and his talent gives it an unforgettable resonance.

Monroe has a long attachment to ISOYG and realizes he will be lambasted for directing a new take on one of cinema's most reviled and legendary tales. What he gives us is not a hollow 2nd generation quickie to cash in on it's predecessor's infamous name, but a searing, realistic effort and for that I admire the job he has done here. It's a man unleashing a vision of a female's violation, then vengeance, with plenty of reason to be. The 21st century will give us hard to watch epics, but this was truly a worthwhile experience for me. I won't elaborate on what happens post-assault, but will say anyone who can see their mother, daughter, sister, friend in Jennifer Hills and her suffering will be very interested in her revenge and how THAT plays out. It was incredibly well handled!

The announcement this film would be released this fall in it's uncut form, not bowing to the 100+ cuts the MPAA requires for the more commercially desirable R rating, raised many eyebrows. I hope if it indeed is released unaltered, there will be enough moviegoers to give this a fair viewing. You can already imagine the hateful reviews some are ready to write and publish merely hearing the title. I just want the market for those filmmakers not bowing down to the antiquated and far from perfect MPAA ratings system to have an alternative in this day and age.

i_spit_on_your_grave_ver2.jpg

• 1 month later...