FANFIC COMPETITION ENTRY

kinipella

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say that this is set in Breaking Dawn after Bella's become a vampire!

----

I never thought I’d be standing here in the middle of a massive, open field surrounded by huge, towering trees on all sides and staring one of my worst nightmares straight in the face.

“Play ball†Esme shouted distantly from somewhere to the left of me.

A low rumble of thunder echoed across the meadow as Alice prepared to launch the evil white ball at me. She beamed as she swung her arm back and nimbly raised her leg, firing the ball at me as hard as she could. I made a mental note to ask her about that later – she could have gone a bit easier on me, especially with it being my first time.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as the ball spun lethally towards me. I took the opportunity to sneak a quick glance around the field. Carlisle was crouched low on the ground behind me, his hands stretched in front of him to catch the ball I was inevitably going to miss. Emmet and Jasper were on second and third base sniggering, knowing I was never going to hit the ball. Rosalie stood further away, supposedly fielding but in reality looking more interested in her nails while Edward reassuringly smiled at me from his position in left field.

This whole debacle had begun a week ago when Alice had announced that the perfect weather was approaching for the Cullens’ monthly baseball game. I’d adamantly refused, surely it was a given that I wouldn’t be involved - everyone in Forks knew not to come near me when I was armed with so little as a volleyball, let alone a baseball bat. However, after being subjected to three days of endless begging and pleading I’d reluctantly given up and agreed. How bad could it really be?

I snapped my head around remembering where I was, the ball was finally here. The cold metal bat felt out of place in my hands as I swung for all I was worth.

My bat skimmed the edge of the ball, causing it to shoot upwards, twisting and spinning as it soared towards the forest. I followed through the swing turning full circle before my foot slipped on the muddy grass. I looked on in horror as the bat tore itself from my grip, flying up into the sky in the opposite direction to the ball.

“Nice swing†Edward laughed, “lucky we brought a spare bat.†I jumped to my feet and quickly looked around. Carlisle had his hand over his mouth in an attempt to hide his laughter while Emmet was half-collapsed on the floor, his booming hysterics resonating across the field. Esme looked concerned and Alice was giggling her peal-like laugh.

“Sorry I didn’t warn you Bella, it was just too funny.†She’d obviously seen what was going to happen. “Oh and one more thing, you might want to donate some money to the school for the roof they’re going to have to repair.â€

By Jeni

Edited by kinipella