Fanfic Entry Competition

Legolas

The Choice

I knew well enough why Edward was impassive at this moment, giving the current situation. But I took this as an obligation rather than a reckless motion. We stood in the centre of the cave now, it was damp and cold. My whole body trembled awkwardly in the cold breeze. Edward loosened his grip slightly and looked down at me with his concerned brown eyes. It was then I suddenly realized I was hyperventilating.

“Are you alright Bella?†his soothing voice said anxiously.

I quickly looked down at my feet automatically.

“Yeah, I’m fine†I lied.

What was I thinking? But that was precisely the point, I knew exactly what I was thinking… of Jake. This was all for him anyway, to be freed from his curse?

At that moment I was aware the Emmet and Alice arrived and were standing amongst us. It still amazed me how brilliantly silent they were. I wonder how long they were there? Casually Edward and Emmet exchanged a silent look; Emmet nodded and swiftly disappeared in the darkness.

“Where….?†I began puzzled, noticing Alice had also gone.

“Shhh, their here,†Edward said coolly.

The stillness in the room was unnerving; I shifted uneasily, but abruptly held steady by Edward’s firm grasp around my waist. His body stood perfectly motionless, absurdly beautiful set amidst the dark gloom of the cave. We waited in the darkness, my eyes fixated on the dull light from the tunnel’s entrance.

Steadily two shadowy shapes began to emerge from the tunnel, their faces still cast in darkness. I held my breathe as they crept closer, still contemplating the fact of why I made everyone come here. Still, I knew my judgment was right, a part of him knew this, that we must give them a choice, Jake a least.

Their faces slowly came into view. Sam walked foremost, as Jacob lingered slightly in the rear.

Obscurity ran through my veins at this moment, my whole body grew tight with anxiety as my eyes met Jacobs.

Sam’s face glowered at Edward, his face hard, while Jake was still, no emotion, nothing. Weird, I thought.

Edward clutch never loosened either, so I began to talk without formal greetings.

“We’ve erm, found something that may belong to you,†I said steadily, holding the artefact aloft.

Sam gasped suddenly, making Edward step back, me included.

“The Tahral…… it can’t be,†he breathed. He knew exactly what it was.

It was obvious Sam was contemplating something; he began flinching momentarily, like someone was taking a bite at him. He was talking to the others about the Tahral.

Jake looked bleak and worn now, as if pained. Perhaps he was considering the change, but Sam’s face began to turn livid, his chest breathing hard, and his fists clenched tightly.

“Jake,†I stammered hesitantly, he didn’t answer.

That evidently hit a nerve, as Sam threw himself at Edward, “Trick!!†he blasted before he changed. Within seconds Emmet and Alice were their holding Sam down, even Jacob.

Tina White