LOST : The only person she deserved

Steph

Disclaimer

I do not own the characters in this story, nor do I own any rights to the television show "Lost". They were created by JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof and they belong to them, Touchstone, and ABC.

Title : The only person she deserves

Rating : PG

Summary : it's the immediate aftermath of "What kate did" staright after the kiss

The Only Person she deserved

“Damn it†Kate panted, as she ran through the high blades of grass, each one cutting her leg with its point. Pushing herself between the trees, she forced every broken branch onto the floor. “Damn itâ€.

She stepped over a fallen tree and stared out into the emptiness of the open land. No one was playing golf; she was alone with her thoughts.

She could hear Jacks voice faintly behind her, calling out her name.

“Jack†she thought, not daring to say his name out loud, not ready within herself for a direct confrontation. Not after what had just happened …

The clouds released their rain, yet her cheeks were already wet. She ran, ran the way she always ran when things got too intense. She entered the maze of trees and darkness engulfed her once more.

Squelching through the mud, her sprint slowed as she gave way to her own self-pity.

“Why did I kiss Jack?†she asked herself fiercely, touching her bottom lip as it tingled. “He doesn’t like me that way, he looked so angry, so confused so...â€

She sunk her knees into the ground, allowing the mud to writhe around her.

“I Need him here†she cried. The rain poured hard onto her head, as she reflected on all the times that she had depended on Jack. He kept her secret and gave her a fresh start. They had chemistry, she couldn’t ignore that, but he was too good for her, too perfect. She needed him; in more ways than one … He was her rock. How could she have been so stupid?

The tears stopped and the rain eased up as Kate brushed the back of her hand against her cheek. She reminded herself who she was, who Jack was, how she had always known he was too good for her. Her past haunted her and it always would. She had told herself this from the start. He was the one person she would never deserve.

The rain stopped, and, picking herself up, she listened for the comforting tone of Jack’s voice. Looking for his tall, strong silhouette. Yet she couldn’t see him. In the distance she heard the faint beat of someone chopping wood. The everyday tasks continuing…

Slowly Kate composed herself. She wiped away her salty tears once more and scraped her hair into a ponytail. Making her way back to the hatch, she thought of the person who would be there waiting for her. His dusty blonde hair moving with his snores, his sarcastic comments dripping with his southern accent. The one person on this island who was perhaps “lower†than her. The only person she would ever deserve.

447 words