Tears

Scarhead

Tears

Word Count : 449

The dark sky threatening rain matched Ron's mood. She was sitting with her back to him, but he could tell she was crying. Her shoulders were shaking with sobs. They had done a lot of crying over the last few days but today was the worst. Today was his funeral. The very thought of what they had gone through that morning brought tears to Ron's eyes. They had buried Harry, who had sacrificed himself to save the world.

He sat down silently next to Hermione. He put a hand on hers and gently squeezed it. They were quiet for a few moments, lost in their own memories and pain.

"I can't do it, it hurts too much." Hermione whispered hoarsely. "How can we just go on without him? It isn't fair." Her tears streaked down her pained face. Ron put his arm around her shoulders, holding her close.

"I know Hermione, but he did what he had to do … for all of us. I know it isn't fair… I don't know how to go on either, but we have to, for Harry. Merlin, why him? Why not someone else?"

Hermione didn't say anything for a long while. Finally she spoke in a soft, sad voice. "I should have done more to help him."

"Hermione, luv, Harry was as prepared as could be. Dumbledore and the Order had been training him all year. You could not have done anything to stop what happened. None of us could. We fought beside him and we did all we could to help him." Ron kissed the top of her head tenderly. "Don't doubt that. Don't blame yourself."

"I know, but I have to blame some one or something… I don't know how to do this Ron; I miss him so much. You two are my family. It hurts to think about it. It hurts to imagine him not being there with us at graduation. We are a team…"

"I know it feels like a piece of me is missing. I have never felt pain like this…" Ron's voice wavered. "He is …was my…." He broke down burying his face in Hermione's bushy hair. The two friends clung to each other.

The dark sky opened and a cold rain started to fall. Neither of them moved. The only shelter they needed was in each other’s embrace. As the tears and sobs slowed, Ron looked at Hermione and up to the rain clouds.

"I think he misses us too. These are his tears. He's letting us know that he is watching over us." As Hermione listened, she closed her eyes and let the rain wash over her raised face; Harry's tears washing hers away.