The Unbreakable Vow

StepUpTimneh

Title: The Unbreakable Vow

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations owned by JK Rowling and publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury. No copyright infringement is intended or to be infered.

Words: 450

Snape quickly swiveled around, his wand no longer pointed at Dumbledore. He shot a stunning spell at one of the Death Eaters. Dumbledore took this as his cue to join in the duel. He muttered a powerful spell that Harry couldn't quite catch, and all of the Death Eaters fell to the floor, unconscious.

“Professor, Greyback is stirring! Hurry!†Snape said anxiously.

“All in good time, Severus, first I must let Harry here,†he flicked his wand, “be able to move again.â€

“Ah, so Potter’s been here the whole time,†Snape spat.

“Professor Dumbledore, sir,†Harry said, ignoring Snape’s remark, “We should get out of here.â€

“Right you are, Harry. Severus, you apparate directly to Grimmauld Place. Harry and I will use Side-Along-Apparation.â€

“Professor,†Snape began when they arrived, “You are aware that I have just broken an Unbreakable Vow.â€

“Yes, Severus, I am,†Dumbledore sighed deeply, “In 12 hours you will be part of another world. This is your next step, take it with confidence.â€

Harry took a moment to absorb this information. He thought to himself, is Snape really going to…die? He vaguely recalled Ron telling him about Unbreakable Vows, and it was true that the potions master die, as he did break one. Snape had made a vow to kill Dumbledore if Draco Malfoy could not. He sacrificed himself for the headmaster, and Harry respected him greatly for that.

“Professor… may I be excused? I need to… to think,†Snape stuttered. Harry had never seen him so timid before.

“Professor Snape, may I come with you?†Harry said. Snape looked astonished. He was surprised that such a terrible boy could be thoughtful.

â€Fine,†he replied stiffly. Harry and Snape headed upstairs. If they had looked back, they would have seen a slight twinkle in Dumbledore’s eyes.

In Harry’s room, Snape was in a state of shock. Harry felt the same way. Life would be different without Severus Snape. After a couple long, silent minutes, Snape regained his ability to speak.

“Po-Harry, thank you for coming with me, I do appreciate it. I may not have been exactly kind to you in the past 6 years, but now that I’m going to…d-d-…â€

“Die,†Harry whispered, “It’s okay, and I forgive you.â€

Harry was not sure if Severus had heard him, for he looked down and saw that he had fallen asleep.

That morning, Harry woke with a start. He glanced at Snape, and was about to open his mouth when he remembered. He slowly walked over to Snape, and saw that Dumbledore was sitting by him. Harry touched Snape’s cold skin, and Dumbledore looked at the boy with pure sadness. Severus Snape was dead.