The Fifth Element

TheBobfather

How do you rate The Fifth Element?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate The Fifth Element?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Here is my review-

The Fifth Element welcomes you to the world 2314, a world where air transport has re-placed road transport and Aliens walk the planet freely. But the world is doomed by evil, which can only be destroyed by Four stones gathering round The Fifth Element in an Egyption Temple to make the ultimate weapon against evil. But there is one problem, where are the stones?

This film delighted me as a Sci-Fi fan, for the next six years or so every Sci-Fi will copy or have the same feel as the Matrix, The Fifth Element, though, was made before and has that fun, over the top element that amazes you and keeps you firmly gripped to your seat.

Director Luc Besson (who also made Leon) has been wordly renowned to be very arty with his films and he totally out does his self in this film. The floating car chases are amazing to watch, which is all down to Bessons faultless Direction.

The main star Bruce Willis plays his usual John McLane from the Die Hard movies, but this time in space. If you want two main reasons to watch this movie let it be Milla Jolkovich's and Gary Oldmans stunning performances.

After seeing Resident Evil earlier this year I didn't expect much from Jolkovich. Can I just say that she is spectacular in this role, if people had made better use of her talents like Besson has then she would have won an oscar by now. Jolkovich's character 'The Fifth Element' is the most interesting out of everyone else and it seems she was effortlessly portrayed. She has depth and excellent characterisation and you genuinley do care what happens to this character. Bruce Willis obviously works well with her otherwise the love story could have never have been pulled off so well.

Gary Oldman is one of the best actors in the world and has been used by Besson in his previous film 'Leon'. In The Fifth Element he plays a crazed psychopath called 'Zorg' who is content on destroying the world. Oldman is a joy to watch, it is obvious that he had fun playing the character, he is both funny and absolutley terrifying. Infact I am willing to say his performance is near genius.

That is not to say that this film is perfect. The special effects of the Alien's and there spacecrafts look like something pulled out of a Power Rangers episode. The evil Aliens don't really look all that evil. But this is forgivable. Chris Tucker's performance on the other hand is not. He is both annoying and unbearable to watch. He plays an overly camp Radio DJ, but that is not the annoying part. It's his voice, it is so high pitched that even my dog was wincing. Whilst he may be funny & interesting for his first couple of scenes he grows aggravating and boring very quickly. This film does not make best of his talents.

But on the other hand, the script (Co. Written by Besson) is obviously written by a Sci-Fi fan, but must have been so well done, as Bessons Direction is effortlessly done.

While it may be over the top and silly, this enchances the viewing. It was harshly under valued by the critics, probably because the way they define Sci-Fi by the film Star Wars, which is not how it should be done at all.

The bottom line is The Fifth Element is a simple, predictable storyline told in a exciting, imaginitive way and will be enjoyed by almost everyone.

My Score? 8.5/10 - In My Top Ten Favourite Sci-Fi Films Of All Time & I Can't Wait To Get The DVD.

i rated it excellent, this is one of my favourite films and also one of the very first films i got on dvd! its unlike any sci-fi film ive seen before. im a big fan of bruce willis and he's excellent and so is ian holm and gary oldman. i love the style of this film, in fact i love this everything about this film! :D:D:D