Stargate Fic - Mothers; We all have them

Whisper99

This story is based on characters and situations owned by the original author/writers, publishers and distributors. No copyright infringement is intended or to be infered.

It’s been a year since Janet was killed and Cassie tells us she’s too grown up to stress over it and says that we shouldn’t worry. But it's Mother's Day today and Sam and I want to take her out. We’ve got lunch and a movie planned, and then it’s Jack’s for dinner and she gives in when we insist.

By the time we’ve driven halfway to the restaurant, Cassie tells us she wants to go to the cemetery. I’m surprised because she hasn’t wanted to go in a long time. Sam turns the car around and we go there first.

We pull into the parking lot of a nearby flower shop and Cassie is out the door, calling behind her, “In and out in a flash, guys!â€

Sam and I don’t speak while we wait and she doesn’t even look at me. She fiddles with the radio and I’m suddenly reminded of the time, so many years ago now, when we rescued Cassie from her planet. I had found Sam crying by her bedside, looking lost, and she told me how she was supposed to be detached. I tried to say the right thing because it broke my heart to see her crying. Words to comfort and console have always come easy to me, but today – today I just sit quietly because I feel just as lost as she looked back then. Cassie comes back with a simple bouquet of white daisies and Sam pulls out of the parking lot and crosses the road into the cemetery.

We walk a short distance, Cassie and Sam holding hands and I trail behind them. We stand before Janet’s grave and I wonder now if Sam is remembering what it was like to lose her own mother. It hurts to know the three of us have this one thing in common. I shy away from remembering how I felt when my own died and instead I focus on Cassie as she arranges the flowers to her satisfaction.

She stands and I’m surprised when instead of going to Sam, she turns to me arms outstretched for a hug.

“I love you, Uncle Daniel,†she tells me, and the ache that I had not realized had been building in my heart suddenly eases and I hold her close. I close my eyes as I rest my chin atop her head and it takes me a little while before I realize that Sam’s holding us both. Words find me then and I whisper a quote from an old poem,

"Men die, but sorrow never dies; the crowding years divide in vain, And the wide world is knit with ties of common brotherhood in pain."

Edited by Whisper99

Aaaw, this is sad, but sweet! What a lovely idea for a little fic.

914199[/snapback]

Thank you :) This was originally a drabble I wrote for mother's day that I expanded. The line I based the story on is 'It hurts to know the three of us have this one thing in common'. I like to think that Sam and Daniel do make it a point to spend time with Cassie and are able to understand where she is coming from because they both have been there and know what it's like. Sam knowing what it's like to lose a mother when she was a teenager, and Daniel knowing what it was like losing his family as a child.