Latest News On This Event

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Hi All,

Well we have been working on this for months now and you all know how we feel that we needed a big headliner to make this event happen.

We thought that we could do this with getting cast from Vampire Diaries, and we went off to book some of the main cast from this show, as well as keep on trying to book cast members from Supernatral and as for Being Human thats easy as we have worked with them before.

Last night we heard from the last agent to get back to us on guests from Vampire Diaries and she told us that they he was not available for this event.

We have tried very hard on this event, moreso than on any other event we run, to book main cast but its not been possible :blink:

Now you may all think we have not tried that hard but i am going to give you some more info to help you all understand why we hit a brick wall on this con. This may also help explain the decisions we have had to make. I want to be upfront with you all and hopefully you will see we have done our best for you the fans even though we have not managed to run this event .

1. Main cast for Vampire Diaries are really hard to get a deal that works

We were told that some of the main cast would not do more than 3 hours work at the con ;) Their fee would be so much that we couldnt sell the photo shoot for less than �45 each and these would be limited to 100 x fans at the show. We would only be able to offer 300 fans autographs and 1x30 minute talk on stage. They would not take part in the party, drinks reception, or any other activity over the weekend.

They would also need two upper class flights costing $30,000 + lots more things that would add up to around another $6000. On top of that, there is the fee which we have been told would need to be more than $70,000.

So we would have to pay out more than $100,000 for a guest to be at the event for 3 hours work meeting the fans, which is just not doable for the price structure we have, and we do not want to have to charge the fans more as we want to keep the price down for everyone this year as we know its hard out there.

2. Supernatural guest fees have also gone through the roof with the main cast

Now asking for over $150,000 for a weekend and that would mean having to charge �55 + for the main two cast which again i feel is just too much for the fans to pay for these guests. I do feel that in both these shows the agents and guests are just asking for too much from the fans, and the events themselves, and this will mean that there will not be many events that will be able to run a good con for the fans as the guests take all the income from the show leaving the con in a place were it does not have the money to spend on putting on a great event around the guests .

3. We can get Being Human guests

These guests get it and are happy to come along to an event for a fair fee and meet the fans and be there for the weekend and meet you all, but as we are not running this event now we will be getting Being Human guests back to our other events over the next year so you will get to see them.

4. You will also get to see cast members from Vampire Diaries and Supernatural at some of our signing events

These events work in a different way and guests can be subsidised at these events so you will get to see guests from these shows over the next year, just not at a dedicated con :poki:

5. As we have said in the past - it's better to have tried to run an event than to not have tried at all

I know you all enjoyed the first Roadhouse event and we loved running it too, but that event did lose money and we felt that to make the event work we needed that headliner and then pull in the other guests around that person, but it was not meant to be this time. We will be contacting the main cast again in the future just in case their fees change and they are available to attend another con like this.

6. REFUNDS

We will be refunding you all over the next week or so. Yvie will be the person dealing with this she will get around to everyone, but if you can give her a little space as it does take a little time to process all the tickets. All hotel bookings will also be cancelled and you should not be charged for the room. The hotel is aware of this, but if you have any issues with the hotels do contact us as we are here to help.

7. SORRY from all of us here

Last but not least SORRY, we really are, we wanted this to happen just like you all did but in the end you have to have a good line up to sell the tickets which pays for the guest and then it really gets going. It's no ones fault in the end, sometimes there is a little luck or magic needed to get the first couple of events going, but that was just not here this time .

We will look at this event in the future and if things change we will look at running it again :dance:

Thank you for understanding and hanging in there with us on this we did feel if we could have got that guest yesterday then we may have put together a great event for you so it was worth holding on that extra week to try to make it happen , so thank you for being so patient with us over the last month or so .

yours

jason

Edited by Massive Events

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the detailed explanation of what's been going on I just think its a shame that you have not managed to persuade the agents how good PR this is for their show in the UK and how much fun it is for the guests as well as the fans - will look out for some of the guest at the signing events (even though these are more difficult for me to attend)

I'm not surprised at all, it couldn't work this way and so close to the event anyway.

Disappointed that you give up on the whole event as I think it had some potential and I'm pretty sure that most people here would have been happy with 2-3 supporting cast from SPN and VD and 1 or 2 main cast from BH. The big stars are very expensive and don't really want to meet the fans, so don't book them. I've seen lately that one of the big stars of SPN is charging A LOT for his photo shoot, fair enough, I don't want to meet him anymore at this price. I'm happy to meet guests who really want to meet fans and have fun at those events and usually these are smaller guests.

I'm glad you will try to bring guests from SPN/VD at the next signing events as this will obviously reduce the costs for me (less events to go to) but on the other hand, it will be less fun to meet them there instead of in the relaxed atmosphere of a con.

Anyway, this means that my only ME con this year will probably be Hallowhedon 3. Still uncertain about Bitten 2. Waiting to see if it goes along or ends up in the limbos next to Roadhouse2.

How can we get full refund from hotel as it has had to be paid in full ?

I suggest contacting the Park Inn first and explaining you were to attend the convention, if you have any problems, contact the office, the email address is in my signature

Thank you x x Really sad like everyone else but we totally love you guys for trying so hard x x

• Moderators

I'd love to meet Jensen and Jared, but I'm certainly not willing to pay an extortionate amount for them. It's very disappointing that the costs involved mean not as many fans get to meet them. Same with the VD cast. Both shows have really passionate fanbases.

I'm sorry for the fans wanting to go, always bad when an event has to be cancelled. And thanks to ME for giving everyone a very open and honest reason.

It seems the VD guests are seeing this as being like a US con, where you do only have the guests there for awhile to promote the show, sign some autographs then head home. Shame for the fans.

My big thing I thought all along for this was: How would a 3-fandom con really work at all? I know I personally wouldnt want to pay a weekend ticket that included meeting people from 1/2 fandoms I had no interest in just so I could meet the ones I wanted to. It divides the attendees too much, to a point where people wont go at all because they wont feel its worth it.

Example, I love Star Trek. But if you combined Trek/SG-1/Andromeda, I wouldnt go as I wouldnt want to pay for the guests from the other 2 fandoms that I wouldnt want to meet/see talk/hang out with.

Something to keep in mind for later events. Thanks again.

• Moderators

although showmaster can I just say please dont be put off booking Vampire diaries and supernatural guests now as I would definitely pay those high prices for a photo with them and i know alot of others will too!

The problem I see is that we've had FAR bigger guests than them before at signing events, and SM have managed to keep it down to £20-25 for the majority of them. It's a very dangerous move bringing in guys from SPN/VD and having to charge a ridiculous amount.

Hopefully they'd be able to work out something far more reasonable.

I'd love to meet Jensen and Jared, but I'm certainly not willing to pay an extortionate amount for them. It's very disappointing that the costs involved mean not as many fans get to meet them. Same with the VD cast. Both shows have really passionate fanbases.

I agree. I had the chance to meet Jensen & Jared for a "reasonable" price but still very expensive. Lately I've seen that the prices have increased again. I don't see the point of doing this. I think organizers should not accept to pay such huge amounts of money and in this sens I think SM is right.

On the other hand, I think like you that both shows have a strong fanbases and conventions have been organized without the big names and have been very successful. You just need to invite the smaller characters who are hugely popular among the fans. I think this is the way to go for conventions and not bring ultra-expensive guests who won't mingle with fans anyway.

Bring those expensive guests to signing events only as there you can make them sign during the entire week-end.

although showmaster can I just say please dont be put off booking Vampire diaries and supernatural guests now as I would definitely pay those high prices for a photo with them and i know alot of others will too!

Agreed. For me I'd pay Alot for Jensen/Jared/IAN/Paul!!!!

And Ian could get the Lost crowd too.. And has done a CM before...

Have to say this really does put me off the main TVD cast, whether it's them or agencies demanding such fee's... it makes me feel like it's all done for the money, which takes away the element of 'enjoying ones job'.

Hmmm

Other sites have never explained the high prices for the big stars of the shows (mainly thinking of Supernatural), so thanks for the info.

Bit of an extreme price I will agree, however there are a lot who would be winning to pay those just to get a picture or an autograph from the main cast.

Still, would be great to see them at one of the signing events.

The problem I see is that we've had FAR bigger guests than them before at signing events, and SM have managed to keep it down to £20-25 for the majority of them. It's a very dangerous move bringing in guys from SPN/VD and having to charge a ridiculous amount.
Agreed. Other guest/agents could see the prices and think 'well if they are charging that then so will we'. Pretty soon everyone will up their costs and we could find £45-£55 autographs/photo shoots being 'normal' for larger guests :(

No doubt it will happen at some point in the future and we will be recalling the good old days when such things only cost £20-£25. I am in no rush to get there though :D

You know what else I find a bit eyebrow raising... they're constantly on twitter asking fans to donate left, right and centre to various charities etc... how about they do a good deed and donate their time to those of us who have continually supported their career.

Meh!