Soooo... Comic related Guests?

Cher2a

I know that you guys are only just getting started with the Announcements and that there is tonnes more to come, but I was just wondering if you were expanding on the comic area of the event, since it is the London Film & COMIC Con, after all. There are not usually many comic-orientated people, minus a few dealers... But can we expect signings and suchlike this year at all, Showmasters?

Oh, and for the comic fans out there, feel free to suggest (realistic) Guests using this topic. I noticed that there was not any other comic topics, so...

I know that you guys are only just getting started with the Announcements and that there is tonnes more to come, but I was just wondering if you were expanding on the comic area of the event, since it is the London Film & COMIC Con, after all. There are not usually many comic-orientated people, minus a few dealers... But can we expect signings and suchlike this year at all, Showmasters?

Oh, and for the comic fans out there, feel free to suggest (realistic) Guests using this topic. I noticed that there was not any other comic topics, so...

Well said Cher2a; the Comic side of LFCC does seem to be taking a bit of a back seat. I don't buy comics, but am in awe of the artwork these guys do.

I would love to meet :

Joe Linsner

John bolton

How about J. Michael Staczynski, Brian Michael Bendis, Jeph Loeb, Geoff Johns? - the list could go on and on.

Let's not forget Joss Whedon is as well known now for comics as for movies and TV (Astonishing X-men and now Buffy and Runaways.)

Or how about Frank Millar - Comic God as well as Sin City & 300.

I'm not massively into comics, but I would pay for auto's from Brian K Vaughan or Jo Chen.

I completetly back this request. Jo Chen's cover for #3 of the Buffy Season 8 comic is fantastic. Can't wait until it's released.

LFACC should become the SDCC of Europe so we need more comics stuff and guests :smile:

Stan Lee, James O'barr, Frank Miller, Jeph Loeb... we want to see them at a UK con !

and what about Adi Granov (Marvel Civil War, Iron Man, SW RPG, etc), he was in Paris recently

Do you intend COMIC for a comic actor or for a writer of comedies? If you intend a comic actor, I would see Alan Alda.
No, she does not mean comedy writers or comedic actors like Oscar winner Alan Alda (Little Miss Sunshine). She means comic-books.

Do you intend COMIC for a comic actor or for a writer of comedies? If you intend a comic actor, I would see Alan Alda.
No, she does not mean comedy writers or comedic actors like Oscar winner Alan Alda (Little Miss Sunshine). She means comic-books.

Hate to be picky, nicky, but Alan Arkin won the Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine.

Alan Alda is best known for M*A*S*H*

Nice suggestions, guys! Keep them coming...

Sure, Stan Lee, Frank Miller and Joss Whedon aren't likely, but hey, we can only hope! Hehe.

I say that SM should research english-residential comic artists and writers, of which there are plenty.

The main problem with this is that the comics industry is very, very cliquey and they have their once a year UK get together and that's sort of that. The bigger names won't fly across the atlantic and a few creators are very ill so won't really want to be away from home.

Still last year we had Jerry Robinson who at 89 was astounding (and one of the very, very few golden age creators still around) so there is hope...

I've got two words for you though :-

DAVE GIBBONS

With the Watchmen movie going into production he would be ideal, lives in London and is very, very friendly with his fans and has an immense Comic knowledge. Not to mention his CV which redas like a greatest hits of comics.

I would love to meet Mark Millar, he's one of my favourite current writers, his work on The Ultimates is amazing (be a shame to see him leave the title after Ultimates 2 #13). His Ultimate X-Men work was brilliant, and the first 3 arcs of Marvel Knights: Spiderman (Down Among The Dead Men, Venomous, and The Last Stand) were probably the best Spiderman story recently written.

The main problem with this is that the comics industry is very, very cliquey and they have their once a year UK get together and that's sort of that. The bigger names won't fly across the atlantic and a few creators are very ill so won't really want to be away from home.

Still last year we had Jerry Robinson who at 89 was astounding (and one of the very, very few golden age creators still around) so there is hope...

I've got two words for you though :-

DAVE GIBBONS

With the Watchmen movie going into production he would be ideal, lives in London and is very, very friendly with his fans and has an immense Comic knowledge. Not to mention his CV which redas like a greatest hits of comics.

I slightly disagree, actually. There are plenty of good artists and writers in the UK or Europe, and some that were born over here and love to come back to their homeland, etc. Sure, it is a trip that some do not want to make, but it never hurts to ask, and considering how much the comic industry and fan base is growing at the moment over here I would not be surprised if they said yes.

As for Dave Gibbons, he does the Convention circuit over here at least once a year at a certain Bristol Convention that is on in a couple of weeks, and I am sure that if asked he would love to attend the LFCC, since, as you say, he is a Londoner. ASK, dang it! Lolz. I may bring it up in conversation with him when I see him in a couple of weeks, since he is a very friendly bloke and likes to talk, plus which I have friends that know him quite well.

Edited by Cher2a

• 3 weeks later...

*Bumps*.

Come on, SM! LFCC is far cooler than that other event (obviously no mentioning) with 'comics' in its name, but they seem to be doing better on the comic side of things at the moment... You guys have far more contacts, though, I am sure. Get some BIG GUNS - you know you wanna! Hehe.