All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. R4wly97

General Chat

In that case I’m adding my name as well I’m a Doctor Who fan which means I’m connected to the show so it counts
  3. Chris1970

General Chat

....and mine.
  4. Peter Capaldi Fan

My huge Doctor Who episode marathon.

You'll just have to add series 12 in as well.
  5. Peter Capaldi Fan

General Chat

Thanks R4. Yes, this won't be complete until Peter's autograph is in it.
  6. Chris1970

Guest Suggestions

Jason O’Mara Hayley Atwell Tamzin Merchant
  7. The Friendly Dalek

That was interesting to read as well. It's always fun to see how one episode can be viewed so differently by different people, and this is easily one of the most divisive episodes of the show from what I've seen online. I have my views on this episode, and although we may disagree, it was nice to read the thoughts of a person who does like this episode. The beauty of it is that your points are perfectly valid, and your explanations make sense, I may not view it the same way but it's good to see the viewpoints of others who do like it. Series 10 is up next, the second to last one before I've watched and written about every last television story (although at this rate series 12 may be here before I'm done ).
  8. R4wly97

General Chat

That’s really nice and of course Peter needs to come back to an SM event so his name can be added
  9. Peter Capaldi Fan

Two thirds of the way through The Capaldi era. Series 9 is one of my favourites though it does have a weak series arc. Series 9 is probably one I re-watch the most. It has many fantastic episodes and the duds are kept to a minimum. Although I love Capaldi's Doctor in Series 8 I understand why they have made his interpretation a bit more "user friendly". For me his character arc goes from strength to strength.
  10. Peter Capaldi Fan

Hell Bent - Your review made very interesting reading. I completely understand why you and many others have major issues with this episode. It is definitely a massive step down from the sublime Heaven Sent. However I am in the minority in that I actually quite like it and will attempt to explain why. It does have some frustratingly unresolved parts to it though. Firstly the absolute positives. Capaldi (especially) and Coleman give excellent performances. The production and music are fantastic. Talalay does another great job as director. I like the mix between the diner scenes and the Gallifrey scenes. Moving on:- The return of Gallifrey -disappointing for many. Personally I was never expecting it to be a big thing which is why this works for me. Gallifrey may be The Doctor's home planet but has never been a particularly major part of Doctor Who on TV (if this makes sense). The Doctor succeeds in doing what he needed to do - rid Gallifrey of Rassilon who he blames for the Time War. He really has no other reason to stay other than to save Clara. There was a clever use of the barn again. Donald Sumpter is a great actor let down by weak writing for his role. And following on from Timothy Dalton this does make Sumpter's Rassilon come across as a bit of a wuss. For me the return of Gallifrey is unresolved - although I wasn't expecting it to be a big deal it probably would have helped if the fact that Gallifrey had been saved/found had been mentioned in later episodes and not just forgotten again. Undoing Clara's death - I can understand what Moffat was trying to achieve. The Doctor "Hell Bent" on getting his friend back. But why does The Doctor behave so out of character here? He has lost companions under many different circumstances before. But normally he has other people to help him move on. On this occasion he has had 4.5 billion years of grieving alone in the confession dial. When taken into context with the events of Heaven Sent it makes sense that The Doctor acts the way he does. He is no longer The Doctor. Other characters provide the sanity. Ohila (a great turn by Claire Higgins) is the voice of reason. Clara ensures, especially after the events on Gallifrey, that her friend is able to move on and 'Be A Doctor'. Me (Maisie Williams) is living proof to The Doctor how creating an immortal can cause events to happen and alter history. (Still don't get why The Doctor did this in The Girl Who Died). To quote Me - Clara's death was sad and it was beautiful. It takes the realisation of what he has created to show The Doctor he is wrong. Undoing Clara's death unresolved - I don't mind Clara being brought back for this episode. However, it would have worked better if after she had checked on The Doctor she had accepted her fate and returned straight to Gallifrey to be placed back on the trap street at the moment of her death rather than having untold new adventures. For me this is where Moffat undid the beauty and sadness of Clara's death, not the whole episode itself. That regeneration - A sex change regeneration just for the sake of it. And don't get me started on the cringeworthy comments following. I would have thought Time Lords are above petty sexism! The Hybrid - One of the weakest series arcs. It didn't completely work but I found the resolution ok. The prophecy stated the hybrid was 'me' destined to stand in the ruins of Gallifrey. Whether you consider the hybrid to be Me (created by The Doctor) or the friendship (created by The Master) between The Doctor and Clara they were all stood in the ruins of Gallifrey. Maybe there was too much emphasis on the hybrid possibly being a weapon. The Ending - The perfect ending to this episode would have been when The Doctor enters his TARDIS, sees the message from Clara and becomes The Doctor again. As the TARDIS takes off and Clara's picture disintegrates this could have symbolised that she is dead and that her actions had consequences. Forget the bit with the two TARDISes passing. P.S - I have never believed that The Doctor has forgotten Clara. To do so would be party to the stupid idea that The Doctor is part human. To me that has never been canon and is best left in the past. Overall 7/10. You have given enough clues for me to know that this episode would be one we disagree on. However I think we can agree that it evokes enough feeling to write a lengthy post!
  11. Peter Capaldi Fan

Guest Suggestions

Sharon D Clarke
  12. Peter Capaldi Fan

General Chat

My project for 2020 and beyond arrived today. The aim will be to fill it with as many autographs as possible. Anyone connected to Doctor Who. There are already some potential guests announced for LCC Spring for me to start it off. And what's even better - it's small enough and light enough to easily carry around.
  13. Faerie Tanith

Horror Guests and Horror Franchises

I'll sound like a stuck record with this suggestion... ...but I've just seen Costas Mandylor again and he says he's keen to return to London.
  14. Last week
  15. The Friendly Dalek

Hell Bent- When I think of the worst series finales in modern Who, this is the one which springs to mind. I can't stand this episode. I'll start with the few positives. Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman put in fantastic performances. The episode looks brilliant, the music is great, and there are a few nice references throughout the episode. That's pretty much it as far as positives are concerned. Now onto the negatives. The return of Gallifrey was a massively wasted opportunity. The Doctor spent so long trying to get over his shame about destroying Gallifrey, and spent a long time trying to get back to it after discovering it wasn't destroyed after all in Day Of The Doctor. You'd think that all this character development would lead to his return to Gallifrey being a massive event. Instead, The Doctor mopes around for a bit, and then leaves a third of the way through the episode. At that point it all goes massively down hill. If I wrote this episode, I would have set the whole thing on Gallifrey, and made The Doctor cause a revolution on Gallifrey (which he sort of does by standing up to Rassilon) and then see how he'd try to change things there. Rassilon would have been the key villain of the piece. I feel that something like that would have made a much better use of the Gallifrey setting than this episode does. The return of Gallifrey should have been a huge deal, and I believe that the return of Rassilon should have been equally huge. This was his first appearance since The End Of Time (and only his third appearance in the show overall). Rassilon is a massively important figure in the Whoniverse, and he should have been used in a way which lives up to his status. Instead we get a Rassilon who has no demanding presence and is easily defeated 10 minutes after being re-introduced, and is then forgotten about for the rest of the episode. This was a major let down for me. Donald Sumpter does a decent job in the part, but he is wasted with a dreadful script which doesn't live up to the status of his character. Clare Higgins does a good job as Ohila, but once again her character is reduced to just spouting exposition, rather than being an interesting character in her own right. Ken Bones is one of the most wasted figures in modern Who in my opinion. I loved him as The General in Day Of The Doctor, and I was excited to hopefully see him get an expanded role here. Instead, he has a couple of brief scenes and is then shot down by The Doctor (more on that later) and regenerates. Also, that regenration seems to only exist to prove that Time Lords can not only change gender when they regenerate (as previously proven by Missy), but they can also change race. I wouldn't have a problem with that if it wasn't for the awful piece of dialogue which the character gives after they regenerate. The ego line is incredibly cringy. If you've seen the episode you know which one I'm referring to. Peter Capaldi's performance is brilliant, but The Doctor is completely wrong in this episode. I get what Moffat was going for, the idea that The Doctor becomes "Hell Bent" on saving Clara so he will break his moral code in order to achieve that goal. I get that, but I hate it. This isn't The Doctor I know and like. I'm not one of the ones who disregard this episode from canon because of it, I know this episode happened and I accept that, but it doesn't mean I like it. The Doctor acts so out of character here for so long that it doesn't work. Firstly, his treatment of The General is awful. This man stood by The Doctor's side as he faced down Rassilon, and The Doctor shoots the man who helped him, no hesitation, and then says something to the effect of "He'll be fine, death is Time Lord for man flu." This is an egregious break of character, and I don't belive that The Doctor would ever do this, no matter how desperate he got. However, what's even worse is his motivation for doing all this. He does it all to save Clara from death. The worst part is that he actually succeeds. Not only does he succeed, she gets to live a very long and happy life after this episode ends. Now this makes me question "Why didn't The Doctor try somwthing like this for Katarina, or Adric, or anyone else who was close to him who died?" The answer is, as the 5th Doctor explained perfectly after Adric's death, that it doesn't work that way. That death is set in stone in time, and no matter how much he wants to, he can't do a thing about it, no matter how special someone is. The fact that he lets someone like Adric go so quickly, but goes to these lengths to save Clara, seems like extreme favouritism to me. It was firmly established that once a character dies, they are dead. Full stop. This episode now states that it is difficult to do, but not impossible to save someone from death in thus universe. Whenever someone important dies now, people will question why The Doctor can't just do this again for them. It greatly reduces the stakes if we know that death isn't a permanent thing any more. The only way I think this character arc for The Doctor could have been handled well was if this led to the rise of The Valeyard. That could have been a very interesting twist, which explains why The Doctor acts how he does, but I guess The Valeyard is never going to be referenced at this point. I hate Clara's ending with a passion. I like Clara, and I defend her character, but this episode completely ruins her arc. Throughout series 8 and 9, she become more confident and cocky, seeking adventure and danger with no consideration for her safety, essentially becoming more and more like The Doctor. This of course led to her death in Face The Raven. I believe that that was the perfect ending to her arc, as her over-confidence ultimately led to her demise, as she believed she could save the day, just like The Doctor, and that time she failed and it killed her, and The Doctor had to face the consequences of that in Heaven Sent. That was a perfect conclusion to their relationship, and it made narrative sense for both of the characters to end their relationship like that. Then this episode comes along and completely ruins Face The Raven by negating Clara's death. Face The Raven loses all of it's impact because this episode undoes the core emotional point which makes that episode work as well as it does. Not only does Clara get to cheat death, but she also gets to go off on her own adventure with Ashildr, and they even have their own TARDIS (the classic TARDIS set does look gorgeous though). Personally I think this negates the point of Clara's arc. I viewed her arc as her becoming over-confident and dying because of her arrogance, as previously mentioned. Rather than face serious consequences because of this, she instead gets to go and do even more of the thing which I viewed as her initial undoing, thus making the idea that her arrogance gets the better of her pointless, because she won't have changed at all by going off by Ashildr. It didn't kill her like it initially did, and instead her character goes off to do more of the thing which got her killed in the first place. If she died in Face The Raven and stayed dead it would have been the perfect ending for her character, but Moffat had to create an over-convoluted story in order to save her from death. Speaking of Ashildr, what was the point of her? She appeared in two episode this series, and neither of them were very good, and then disappears until this finale, in which she has a minor supporting role. Maisie Williams is ok, but once again the scripts let her down (a common trend in this episode). The Hybrid arc was also completely pointless, and the resolution is incredibly unsatisfying and boring. Honestly, I could moan about this episode for hours. Those are the main issues but I could go on if I wanted to, but in order to keep this post from getting even more needlessly long, I'll end it there. I think you can get a good understanding of how I feel about this episode from that. Overall- 1/10. Overall rating for series 9- 7/10 This series started strongly, and contains some of the best Doctor Who episodes ever, but it is dragged down by some awful episodes, including a terrible finale, and a completely pointless story arc, and it is easily the weakest of the modern series arcs which we have received yet in my opinion. I just remembered something which is somewhat relevant to this. I regard Big Finish as canon, and The Night Of The Doctor confirms my belief. That short is canon to the show as it is 8's proper regeneration, and as he refers to his Big Finish companions (even mentioning them by name in that short) it means that they are canon to the series (at least it does in my eyes). Bearing this in mind, early on in 8's Big Finish tenure, he saved someone called Charlotte from what was supposed to be her natural death. She then travelled with The Doctor as a companion. However, as she was supposed to die, her continued existence led to major issues, as it violated the established Laws Of Time. This even led to catastrophic effects such as the de-stabilisation of the web of time, among other things. It's a really interesting story, and if you want to get into Big Finish the 8 and Charlotte stories are a great point to start. Having listened to this story, and believing that it is canon to the lore of the show (Charlotte is one of the companions who 8 names in Night Of The Doctor), it annoys me when I remember that the saving of one companion from their death led to such major issues, yet Clara walks away from the events of Hell Bent absolutely fine.
  16. Peter Capaldi Fan

General Chat

Or Extinct Brexit Rebellion!
  17. Does everybody have the information on who and what is included in their Commander/Captain packages yet? My partner is going to buy one and if the information is out there already for who is in package A, B etc then it would be handy to try to select one that suits her needs.
  18. Ravogd

Destination Star Trek 2019

What Queen says is true the official photo sales desk won’t, however there will be a lot of merch stalls that sell photos and prints and they are usually very savvy of guests other franchise appearances (remember you need to buy your prints at this show, and get them before you queue, they are not included in the price).
  19. Chris1970

General Chat

I bet it were those Extinction Rebellion... They have been at it a few times... or perhaps something about Brexit.
  20. Chris1970

Destination Star Trek 2019

Babes in arms... not.saying.a.word.more.end.up.in.trouble.
  21. Chakotayfan100

Trouble Purchasing Tickets

tried with my father's computer on google chrome, tried at home on my laptop with internet explorer and opera still saying same thing
  22. Raylenth

Try it from a different machine/search engine maybe
  23. The Friendly Dalek

Rick Sternbach

You posted the same question an hour ago. The answer is the same as then I'm afraid, there's no news on his price.
  24. Capetown19

Rick Sternbach

Thank you.
  25. Capetown19

Rick Sternbach

I am very keen to meet Rick Sternbach. However i would like to have some idea if he is signing autographs and how much is he charging.
  26. Chakotayfan100

Today I tried to purchase some more photo shoot tickets , but each time I tried it keeps saying validation failed, have never had a problem before, anyone else having this issue? or could it be my bank having issues?
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?