Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

On 5/16/2023 at 4:58 PM, D-C-A said:

Okay so I’ve just checked this site and apparently it’s not allowed, although said rules haven’t been updated in 20 years so maybe times have changed since I’m unsure.

The rules haven’t changed, there’s just no one here to enforce them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wrong Name said:

The rules haven’t changed, there’s just no one here to enforce them. 

I've played it safe and removed the reference, might as well try and adhere them, even if it doesnt seem to matter now

Edited by Mfahey79

The way I see it is keep with the rules established, with a previous reference I went under the established assumption that because said company had a booth at LFCC it was within reason and someone said they’d allow it, but I don’t wish to push that luck.

so unless we get any confirmation I’m not gonna mention them

• Like 1

Firstly lets address that this update is late and i have posted since, i am so sorry for this, i have been at work, and whilst the details arent relevant, one person has just quit and another has more than likely been fired so hours have needed filling so i'm sorry in the delay.

the first of the guests announced today is Simon Bisley, Bisley's relation to Doctor who is actually extremely loose, for the reason he never worked on the show, however in 2006 his artwork was used as inspiration for the beast in the series 2 episode "The Satan Pit" work for which he was paid £50 and to which he discovered via said payment, i met him last year and honestly he is such a lovely man, he signs for free and my signature on the complete series 2 is the first Doctor who related signature he has ever done, i have a photo for proof which i will post later once i can upload it, for his signature you will need either Series 2 Volume 4 or a copy of the complete Series 2.

Simon-Bisley-Base-Image.jpg

next we have Jeff Cummins who did the artwork for many Target Novelisations from 1975-79 including "The Mutants", "The Talons of Weng-Chiang", "The Face of Evil", "The Horror of Fang Rock", "The Three Doctors", "The Tomb of the Cybermen", "Invasion of the Dinosaurs", "Robot", "Colony in Space" and "The Time Meddler" it is worth noting that many of these covers are the first prints only with the exception of the very last one where it was both Editions.

other cover works include the Virgin New adventures, "Blood Heat", "The Dimension Riders", "Conundrum", "Tragedy Day", "Theatre of War", "All-Consuming Fire", "Sky Pirates!" and "Warchild" he is a wonderful and lovely man so i'd recommend meeting him i need to get a new book for his signature as the ones i own already have his signature.

Jeff-Cummins-Base-Image.jpg

next is one i'm a little unsure on as the name has been cross referenced but whilst the name does have two doctor who connections i'm unsure if they're one in the same, IE Stu Mackay who attending as an Artist has done some doctor who artwork for his own personal use not official BBC, but there is a Stuart Mackay who is credited for two episodes of the series "Turn Left" and "A Christmas Carol", i don't know if they're the same person as i can't find any info to neither confirm of disprove the fact, I'm already planning to take my copy of Series 4 with me so i will ask him and if he is the same, i will update this forum in case anyone else wishes to meet him for said reason, assuming i have no conformation either way prior.

Stu-Mackay-Base-Image.jpg

• Like 1

Looking at the announcement to celebrate James Bond 70th and guests being announced to coincide with this. Seems to confirm what we suspect, that November will be the Doctor Who event this year. Potentially I'm reading to much into this

3 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Looking at the announcement to celebrate James Bond 70th and guests being announced to coincide with this. Seems to confirm what we suspect, that November will be the Doctor Who event this year. Potentially I'm reading to much into this

Their is a lot of overlap especially Timothy Dalton, whose the only one who comes to mind

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Obviously without any announcements it is all guess work, but lets face it, LFCC is heavily attended by Star Wars and Doctor Who guests as they are Jason's passions, so time will tell, it doesn't mean the guests will be free to attend, but it won't be a surprise if they get a load for Winter, if not for Summer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Obviously without any announcements it is all guess work, but lets face it, LFCC is heavily attended by Star Wars and Doctor Who guests as they are Jason's passions, so time will tell, it doesn't mean the guests will be free to attend, but it won't be a surprise if they get a load for Winter, if not for Summer.

I'll fully admit, I'm speculating, and probably overthinking things. 

But this summer is relatively light on Doctor Who guests compared to previous years

As you say, we dont know who has been invited this summer, who couldn't make it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

Their is a lot of overlap especially Timothy Dalton, whose the only one who comes to mind

Jonathan Pryce, and Rowan Atkinson, both from The Curse of Fatal Death. Probably both long shots but cover James Bond and Doctor Who

1 hour ago, Mfahey79 said:

I'll fully admit, I'm speculating, and probably overthinking things. 

But this summer is relatively light on Doctor Who guests compared to previous years

As you say, we dont know who has been invited this summer, who couldn't make it. 

Three Bond guests from the top of my head which would be great to get as they were in Doctor who in same stage or capacity, Timothy Dalton who was of course Rassilon in "The End of time" (And was the bond in the best bond film "License to Kill"), Samantha Bond who was in The Sarah Jane Adventures and also "Scapegoat" for Big Finish i believe, and then Pamela Salem who did "Robots of Death" so a great one to pair with Brian Croucher and then was in "Remembrance of the Daleks" and has continued to do Big finish with around 8 series of Audio, not a bad deal off a four week job.

the only other five i can think of off the top of my head who were in Bond, four of which are dead, those being George Baker (Logan in "Full Circle"), Jeremy wilkin (Kellman in "Revenge of the Cybermen"), Cyril Sharps (Many roles including Viner in "Tomb of the Cybermen") and Shane Rimmer (Snakeeyes Harper in "The Gunfighters", probably better known as Scott Tracy, also whilst researching this bit turns out Thunderbirds crossed over with Doctor who in an episode of that show), Edward De Souza is the only one i can think whose alive even if he's 90, he was Marc Cory in "Mission to the Unknown" so if they got him it would go on my copy of "The Daleks Masterplan" CD and then my Lost in time, ironically all 5 of those actors were in "The Spy Who Loved me" small world that i guess, undoubtedly pat gorman was probably in the film somewhere he got everywhere.

there are probably loads of others that were in bond...

OKAY I GOTTA REMEMBER TO DO MY RESEARCH

so i just remember that Frazer Hines did a voice role in "You only Live Twice", like how do i forget such things, Anthony Ainley was also in the film as a british police officer, Burt Kwok, (Side note Richard Marner from allo Allo), again Shane Rimmer, im gonna leave it there because the more i think the more it comes back to me and we'll be here all day.

Bernard Horsefall was in "On her Majesty's secret service" and that one stings because he died and i would have loved him on "Planet of the Daleks".

thats it, thats it i promise.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear Simon Bisley is attending. He gets a mention in 'Doctor Who - The Inside Story', so will get his auto in that.

I'd be very happy with Tim Dalton - I do need him in 'The Vault'.

Jonathan Pryce would be great too - someone else needed in 'The Vault'.

In other news, I've bought an entry ticket for the Saturday. 

• Like 1

Okay so we did get one from the many bond females announced this evening and surprise, surprise she was in "The Spy Who loved me", Caroline Munro was in the Big Finish Audio "Omega" which was apart of a trilogy that led up to the 40th Anniversary Story (But unrelated) she is attending on the Sunday and is £20.

CarolineMunroWeb.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Geoff K said:

Caroline's late husband was involved in an attempt to make a Doctor Who film, which got scuppered when the people they were trying to get interested in backing it heard about what became the McGann movie.

Which would explain why she was always mentioned in the press in the early 90's whenever a new series or film was rumoured.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:14 PM, D-C-A said:

next is one i'm a little unsure on as the name has been cross referenced but whilst the name does have two doctor who connections i'm unsure if they're one in the same, IE Stu Mackay who attending as an Artist has done some doctor who artwork for his own personal use not official BBC, but there is a Stuart Mackay who is credited for two episodes of the series "Turn Left" and "A Christmas Carol", i don't know if they're the same person as i can't find any info to neither confirm of disprove the fact, I'm already planning to take my copy of Series 4 with me so i will ask him and if he is the same, i will update this forum in case anyone else wishes to meet him for said reason, assuming i have no conformation either way prior.

Stu-Mackay-Base-Image.jpg

Now this neither proves or disproves you. But doing a bit of research. It seems he just uses Doctor Who as an inspiration. So he may or not have done work on the show.

I'd link to his website, but as it may or not break forum rules on advertising. I'll not post it here. But it looks like he just uses Doctor Who as inspiration 

Well, holidays all booked in. As it stands, I'm not going to the winter show. I've a couple days in bank if I change my mind. But as it stands, I'll be working that weekend. i've enough leeway that if they announce once in a lifetime guests i can swing it, but im willing to risk it

5 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Well, holidays all booked in. As it stands, I'm not going to the winter show. I've a couple days in bank if I change my mind. But as it stands, I'll be working that weekend. i've enough leeway that if they announce once in a lifetime guests i can swing it, but im willing to risk it

As much as I established the no mentioning other Cons rule I’ll keep it brief but winter May be busy as there is at current a boycott against a convention for prices as it happens meaning more people may attend showmasters in November 

8 hours ago, D-C-A said:

As much as I established the no mentioning other Cons rule I’ll keep it brief but winter May be busy as there is at current a boycott against a convention for prices as it happens meaning more people may attend showmasters in November 

Without wanting to name the other con, would this be the same weekend or following weekend?