Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

As a New Series DW autograph collector, I'm feeling rather pessimistic about LFCC at the moment.

I know it's still just under 3 months to go, but I'd like to have someone on my list of people to meet, rather than a blank sheet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff K said:

As a New Series DW autograph collector, I'm feeling rather pessimistic about LFCC at the moment.

I know it's still just under 3 months to go, but I'd like to have someone on my list of people to meet, rather than a blank sheet.

Same, hopefully they're not holding fire until the winter con for all the big Who guests. 

Dare I speculate that 'Winter' was moved forward a week to avoid clashing with something 'official' on the weekend of the 18th/19th November - which is the weekend before the anniversary???

Of course, it might be that Olympia have some building work scheduled for the 18th/19th that would prevent 'Winter' from happening on that date??? Have Olympia said when the building work should be finished by?

I had booked the night off work on the 18th November for 'Winter', but have not changed it to the Saturday before, in the hope that something might be happening on the 18th/19th. 

Edited by Geoff K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff K said:

Dare I speculate that 'Winter' was moved forward a week to avoid clashing with something 'official' on the weekend of the 18th/19th November - which is the weekend before the anniversary???

Of course, it might be that Olympia have some building work scheduled for the 18th/19th that would prevent 'Winter' from happening on that date??? Have Olympia said when the building work should be finished by?

I had booked the night off work on the 18th November for 'Winter', but have not changed it to the Saturday before, in the hope that something might be happening on the 18th/19th. 

Same, I've the Friday of the 17th booked off, so other than a long weekend, i'm not planning anything else as it stands.

A quick Google search it seems that Vegfest 2023 is at the Olympia that weekend.

But it still feels strange to be this light on Doctor Who guests for the summer show

19 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Same, I've the Friday of the 17th booked off, so other than a long weekend, i'm not planning anything else as it stands.

A quick Google search it seems that Vegfest 2023 is at the Olympia that weekend.

But it still feels strange to be this light on Doctor Who guests for the summer show

I'm assuming with just over 2 months to go we will see more guests announced as my list is only 11, which is on the low side

Guest wise, it doesn't help that I only collect New Series Doctor who, and that I've been collecting them since 2009.

SM events are the only ones I go to that aren't so heavy on the classic guests, at the expense of New Series ones. Even then, I sometimes have nothing for a New Series guest to sign, having met them before.

At the moment, I'm really looking to meet Matthew Jacobs in 2 weeks time.

• Like 1

Personally i'm just nervous they won't get that many Doctor who guests, i do see a lot of people taking issue with the amount they tend to get, but in a show thats been running for nearly 60 years i don't know what they expect, they get someone their is a fair chance they've got a connection to the show, i do want more guests and some that are maybe exclusive to Friday, as all the guests i have listed are either the weekend or every day, does make me wonder if i should bother with the day, but i will anyway.

with 2 and a half months to go, they will undoubtedly announce more people, still got my fingers crossed for Peter Davison which is a reasonable hope, whilst i'd have to put someone like William Russell on the unreasonable side, but maybe Annekke Wills.

If they're waiting until November for the Doctor who guests in bulk that would be a curious choice given that March had 15 (Although two cancelled) so i think for the three day event more than just 11 would be great especially this year being the 60th anniversary, which although i disagree as being too important a number it is still a notable achievement given the franchise refuses to die.

really if i was to make a request i would love Sally Faulkner, she did one Doctor who story which was "The Invasion", but damn would i love to get more on that DVD cover as its one of my all time favourites, new series wise it would be most exciting to get Jemma Redgrave as she was announced some years ago but that never transpired sadly, Probably covid, the main new series one i want is one that they'll likely never get, Karen Gillen, if i could get her on my copy of Series 7 that would be awesome as i have the four other regulars on that set, but from what i can gather shes not doing the UK Circuit and would likely to be mega expensive (and for petty reasons i know someone who would love to meet her but could never afford to do so) given shes big in the Marvel scene nowadays.

Maybe bring back Milton Johns i've missed him a few times now, he was extremely high on my want list because of "The Enemy of the World" being returned, i've met three from that story being Frazer Hines, Mary Peach and Bill Lyons (Only two on said set) so to get more from that Iconic story would be great, plus he would be high up for Star Wars fans (Which on a commentary he even mentions a number of guests bringing massive posters littered with signatures, which he says he was taken-aback by).

• Like 1

It just seems strange that with the glut of guests they announce every couple of weeks or so, that there isnt someone who's primarily known for Doctor Who, whether main role or guest appearance.

So either they are waiting to announce them closer to the event, or holding fire for later in year. Who can say.

But for a show that normally has it's fair share, it's very light on the ground at moment.

Hopefully they can get Karen Gillan even though now she will be a diamond pass, gone are the days of £25 at MK Stadium. Hopefully after the promo tour for the new Guardians film she finds a weekend free to come to London.

For my DVD covers hopefully they can get Ricco Ross, Gian Sammarco and Ian Reddington for Greatest Show. And Hale & Pace for Survival. I have a feeling these are more likely to appear at a film fair though.

Really it is shocking how few there are announced so far, 11 isn’t a small number as I’ve been to Cons with smaller guests but that was to see friends really, but LFCC has always been my guest hunting con, and given they usually get some great ones it is upsetting that we’ve not got many so far.

there are some good suggestions, I would like Sophie Aldred to return specifically so I can have her added to my copy if “Light at the end” (which I hope by this point will have Katy Manning and Sarah Sutton added to the set, to go with the four Doctors I already have), but at the same time Nicola Bryant would be amazing because I’ve yet to meet her, which on that note does make me sad that the only Big finish Doctor who guests they get are those who are either doing other big projects or those who did the TV series, which makes it hard to get the likes of India Fisher, who again would be a great one to get on that set.

if I was to list who I want rn off the top of my head, Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Nicola Bryant, Sophie Aldred and India Fisher, maybe even add Geoffrey Beavers.

on that note some advice because I want my copy of “Light at the end” to be a very special signed set, and that means I may have to get duplicate signatures within the set itself, Ie the two actors on the hand drawn photos talking about their doctors, and then with their actual photos within the set, or is that just me being weird

• Like 1

Regarding your 'Light At The End', I've only got the Doctors & Companions to sign the pages where they appear in their pairings, rather than the two group photos, but that's due to not being inclined to get items signed twice by the same person, and the cost.

I'm only missing Jean Marsh, Oliver Hume, and Benedict Briggs from 'TLATE', but I doubt I'll be able to remedy that.

Edited by Geoff K
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff K said:

Regarding your 'Light At The End', I've only got the Doctors & Companions to sign the pages where they appear in their pairings, rather than the two group photos, but that's due to not being inclined to get items signed twice by the same person, and the cost.

I'm only missing Jean Marsh, Oliver Hume, and Benedict Briggs from 'TLATE', but I doubt I'll be able to remedy that.

One would need to be extremely lucky to remedy that, but I plan to go beyond that as there is a good number of people on the Bonus CDs such as Terry Molloy that are in the set, cost isn’t too bad for me atm so I do it whilst I can, my pay has gone up and I get more than enough hours so I’m golden I guess, admittedly that’s just me, I wanna try and get it as signed as possible because I know back in 2013 my parents went to hell and back to get me that copy given it was long since sold out when I found out about it

• Like 1

One thing I've learned about collecting autos, is to take the opportunity while you can.

I started in 2009, and in the early years, I would only get the number of autos from a guest included with the event ticket. If it was a paid auto, I'd just get the one. Looking back on the DW cast & crew I met back then, there are a lot that I've not had the chance to meet again, and I do regret that policy. I guess that I thought there'd be other chances to meet them over the coming years.

Later on, having realised my mistake, I did try to get more autos when I had the chance, but by then I was on a strict budget, so I wasn't able to get as many as I'd like.

These days, having more money to spend, I will get everything I want that guest to sign done the first time I meet them. That way, if I don't get to meet them again, I don't have any regrets.

• Like 1

I’ve always made it a priority to get certain things signed first, but I’ve rarely missed out on a guest unless they’ve cancelled, I don’t think there’s been a missed opportunity unlike Missing Tom Baker and William Russell however as I didn’t have the money and my ex said we couldn’t go, which sucks so much, and that means I’m likely never gonna meet the latter with an outside chance of the former.

with all the events I’ve planned this year my autograph collection will increase tenfold I hope, and whilst there will be a few doubles IE someone on multiple covers that doesn’t bother me, some of them are rare signers, I’ve got pages like this for Winter and Birmingham if you wanna check those out, it’ll be my first time attending the latter.

• Like 1

Getting two autographs on your Light at the End, isnt strange. I can see the logic in it. I went group shots and individual portraits. And trying separate page for the other voice actors. Although so far I just have Tim Treloar. 

I just need India Fisher, Jean Marsh, which I know is a very long shot, Anneke Wills, Oliver Hume, John Dorney, Nicholas Briggs and Benedict Briggs. 

I do have two Wendy Padburys though, as I did a send in and she signed the wrong page, I managed to meet her and have her sign the right page a few years ago.

When I started all I took to shows was a autograph book, and didnt even contemplate multiple autographs, or posters etc. And missed so many people as on a budget thinking I'll get them next time. Nicholas Courtney for example. Seeing the queue was long and it was roasting in Earl's Court that day.

Nowadays, if they are there, get them as you never though when or if they'll return.

Edited by Mfahey79
Spelling

I've never used an autograph book, though I do get my Doctor Who books 'The Vault', 'The Inside Story' & 'The Writer's Tale' signed as much as possible, so they are sort of my autograph books. Which one/s I get signed depends on the guest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoff K said:

I've never used an autograph book, though I do get my Doctor Who books 'The Vault', 'The Inside Story' & 'The Writer's Tale' signed as much as possible, so they are sort of my autograph books. Which one/s I get signed depends on the guest.

I've had some books signed mainly by the wonderful Jeff Cummins whom im upset hasn't been announced for this year yet, he did the artwork for many target adventures and if he does get announced i would recommend getting "The Tomb of the Cybermen" signed as he has a wonderful little story if you ask about the wrong cybermen, to which he is of the mindset that someone who corrected the cover is simply using the right cyberman, and that he is wrong for it.

I've never had an expanded works book signed (by which i mean the books about in universe stuff), mainly as there is a certain ick i get from them, and i would rather avoid myself, hence i dont own them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geoff K said:

I still have one, but it rarely comes out, but I tend to take it as you never know who you might run into.

I now have a 500 year diary for Who guests, and occasionally take my excel celebration book that I take to shows. Along with my a poster folder

Edited by Mfahey79

28 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I feel you're showing a fair amount of age there

Possibly lol.

First one was for when I went SDCC in 2008 and travelled light as didnt know who I was going to bump into. Managed to get cast of Shaun of the Dead (minus Nick Frost) and after a Doctor Who panel, Steven Moffat and Julie Gardner. Would love to meet those two again

24 minutes ago, Geoff K said:

Bloody hell! New Series Doctor Who guests!!!!!!

Two of them. we are being spoilt. Michael Jenn and Adrian Rawlins. and if you really want to stretch it Jessica Martin, announced a couple of days ago for the artists alley voiced the Queen in Voyage of the Damned. As well as playing Mags in The Greatest Show in the Galaxy