Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

Hi so i'm creating this forum for doctor who fans who may wish to know what guests have been in or are involved with doctor who, some of course are obvious others not so much, which is where i come into the fray.

first we have the 6th doctor Colin Baker, who if you're going for DVDs he's on "Arc of Infinity" where he played Commander Maxil, or anything from "The Caves of Androzani" to "The Trial of a Timelord" part 4 "The Ultimate foe" along with the recent surprise appearance in "the Power of the Doctor", Blu Ray wise you'd need either Seasons 22 or 23 as those have both been released, along with a cavalcade of Big Finish Audio plays, those daring may also wish for the Original audio CD of "The Macra Terror" to which he provided Narration, he is on the weekend and will cost you £20 for an Autograph.

Colin-Baker.jpg

next we have 7th Doctor Sylvester McCoy, from the DVD front he's present on "Time and the Rani" to "Survival" along with appearing in "the Movie" and the recent surprise appearance in "the Power of the Doctor", from the Blu ray line two of his 3 seasons have been released those being 24 & 26, of course he's also appeared in a number of Audios for Big Finish, he is £20 and is appearing every day, like his younger (and Larger) self, i believe he also offers a in costume photo for £36.

Web-Sylvester-McCoy.jpg

Lastly for this introductory post we have Ernie Hudson, star of "Ghostbusters" the iconic screen legend appeared in a single episode of "Torchwood: Miracle Day" the fourth season of the spin off, playing "Stuart Owens" in "The Middle man", for his set you'll need either a copy of this series or a complete Torchwood Boxset, hes appearing every day and is £40 for an autograph, but also offers a diamond pass option for £105 for the Friday and Saturday along with one for £115 on the sunday which along with the photo and autograph includes access to the talk.

ErnieHudson.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

new guest announcement this time a script editor/writer in the form of Andrew Cartmel, who was the script editor for the entirety of Sylvester McCoy's Era on the show, he also wrote a number of audios "Winter for the Adept" from the main range, along with three stories from the Lost Stories Range "Crime of the Century", "Animal" and "Earth Aid", so those are available for choice, along with every DVD from McCoys era or even the Blu ray Boxsets of Season 24 and 26, he's attending every day and if i remember as he hasn't a listed price he's £10.

Andrew-Cartmel-Base-Image.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 5:13 PM, D-C-A said:

new guest announcement this time a script editor/writer in the form of Andrew Cartmel, who was the script editor for the entirety of Sylvester McCoy's Era on the show, he also wrote a number of audios "Winter for the Adept" from the main range, along with three stories from the Lost Stories Range "Crime of the Century", "Animal" and "Earth Aid", so those are available for choice, along with every DVD from McCoys era or even the Blu ray Boxsets of Season 24 and 26, he's attending every day and if i remember as he hasn't a listed price he's £10.

Andrew-Cartmel-Base-Image.jpg

Whilst he does ask for you to place an order for one of his table items, he does allow around 5 items to be signed, or he did last time, without asking for extra money. 

That's not to say it will be same this time mind. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Whilst he does ask for you to place an order for one of his table items, he does allow around 5 items to be signed, or he did last time, without asking for extra money. 

That's good to know, thank you for that.  I have one of his novels I was thinking of taking if I come.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, Mfahey79 said:

thats odd, i never had that issue, i recognised him last minute when i was walking around and after searching in my bag and pulling out the dvd on the 4th attempt (with only 3 cases in my bag) i asked him to sign to which he was more than happy, this was in 2019 however so i don't know how much has changed, apparently Ben Aaronavitch (Who wrote the dvd i had with me) was there but i didn't have the funds and didn't check.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

thats odd, i never had that issue, i recognised him last minute when i was walking around and after searching in my bag and pulling out the dvd on the 4th attempt (with only 3 cases in my bag) i asked him to sign to which he was more than happy, this was in 2019 however so i don't know how much has changed, apparently Ben Aaronavitch (Who wrote the dvd i had with me) was there but i didn't have the funds and didn't check.

Mine was 2019 as well, it could be because i had a couple of dvd's and a couple of books. It wasn't a deal breaker, as he was very friendly about it. Paul Cornell on other hand was happy to sign several items for free. I must have missed Ben Aaronavitch somehow.

it's not a complaint, as he was very polite about it. He was a great guy to meet, so no regrets

Edited by Mfahey79

I’ve only met Paul Cornell once and he was lovely made him feel old by telling him that the day prior “Human Nature”/“Family of blood” had just turned 15 and he gave me a joking upset look, but he was I think the first writer I’d met, I wanna meet him again to have him on my Series 3, as all I have there is Harry Lloyd and I think is the most lacking set of the RTD era (actual series wise as I do only have one signature on The complete specials).

Aaronovitch I want because I love “Remembrance of the Daleks” and I’ve got 5 on that so far, but I plan to have my copy of “Delta and the Bannerman” signed by Cartmel myself as by that point in time my copy will have 8 signatures and with him (and McCoy) that’ll be a nice 10 with 6 actors including both regulars, the director, the script editor and two from a special feature, which atm are the only ones I have on said set

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Mine was 2019 as well, it could be because i had a couple of dvd's and a couple of books. It wasn't a deal breaker, as he was very friendly about it. Paul Cornell on other hand was happy to sign several items for free. I must have missed Ben Aaronavitch somehow.

it's not a complaint, as he was very polite about it. He was a great guy to meet, so no regrets

With Aaronovitch it was my first LFCC and I wasn’t as keeping up with guests as I was I met 5 that con as I only did one day and didn’t have the relatively disposable income I have nowadays, had I seen the name I would have tried to have the money to get it.

it’s a shame LFCC doesn’t get that many writers so far I’ve only had luck with I want to say off the top of my head 1 writer which was Simon Furman who wrote “axis of Insanity” but it’s more focused on actors really, i did get a sound engineer amazingly when Alister Lock attended, honestly he was lovely to meet, thats more an this show thing or as I plan to do Fantoms signings for Doctor who.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D-C-A said:

With Aaronovitch it was my first LFCC and I wasn’t as keeping up with guests as I was I met 5 that con as I only did one day and didn’t have the relatively disposable income I have nowadays, had I seen the name I would have tried to have the money to get it.

it’s a shame LFCC doesn’t get that many writers so far I’ve only had luck with I want to say off the top of my head 1 writer which was Simon Furman who wrote “axis of Insanity” but it’s more focused on actors really, i did get a sound engineer amazingly when Alister Lock attended, honestly he was lovely to meet, thats more an this show thing or as I plan to do Fantoms signings for Doctor who.

Most of the big events don't really get the behind the scene's people, unless they are big/cult type directors ect.  It might be because typically they don't charge for them so there might be less incentive to get them, but that's a complete guess.  For collectors of series it's nice to get the people behind it as well, but for the BTS people, it might be best to concentrate on the smaller shows for them, or the dedicated Who events that take place in various locations around the country.

London Film Fair is a good event for smaller, older guests, but I don't recall seeing them getting any non actors either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D-C-A said:

There used to be a great website that had convention appearances for  Doctor Who, Star Wars and a few other series actors. But it was taken over and they dropped everything but Star Wars unfortunatly

Fantom seemed to have a fair few behind the scenes guests as well as a few of the minor actors, and they tend to theme their shows around a particular story.

Prob goes against the spirit of the forum by mentioning another show

Edited by Mfahey79

17 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Prob goes against the spirit of the forum by mentioning another show

I meant it in good spirit not promoting but just informing fans of good places to look for those sort of guests as opposed to a straight up alternative as I see it as a hand in hand, LFCC gets the bigger guests such as last year having David Tennant and Matt Smith two youd never see at a Fantom event (also Fantom have a stall at LFCC so I’m sure it’s a grey zone of morality).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Raylenth said:Most of the big events don't really get the behind the scene's people, unless they are big/cult type directors ect.  It might be because typically they don't charge for them so there might be less incentive to get them, but that's a complete guess.  For collectors of series it's nice to get the people behind it as well, but for the BTS people, it might be best to concentrate on the smaller shows for them, or the dedicated Who events that take place in various locations.

I wish they would get a few more but like you said you’re limited to cult projects, or on the occasion those who have dabbled in that area as a side whilst Acting is their main thing, Andrew Cartmell is attending as a comic writer, but I know him best for Doctor who as a script editor during McCoys tenure, same with Furman he went as a comic guest but I got him as a writer on a Cd, for a less obscure one (the now disgraced) Noel Clarke despite not attending could have signed Torchwood Series 1 as a director as he directed “Combat” from that series.

Even Sylvester McCoy I believe directed a doctor who related project which hasn’t seen a release Beyond VHS called “Bidding Adieu” which was his personal video diary of his time on the movie, it has interviews with him, McGann, Ashbrook and even Anneke wills (side note LFCC get her please)

• Like 2

Also since this forum is gaining a lot of traction with discussion do you think they may focus winter on Doctor who for its 60th? I just hope for more Who related guests around the year myself specifically some 60s and 70s companions for how few of them are left.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

Also since this forum is gaining a lot of traction with discussion do you think they may focus winter on Doctor who for its 60th? I just hope for more Who related guests around the year myself specifically some 60s and 70s companions for how few of them are left.

I would like to think it would with the anniversary literally a few weeks away from this show.

Which for me would be annoying, as the new dates fall on when I'm working. 

Edited by Mfahey79
Spelling

41 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I meant it in good spirit not promoting but just informing fans of good places to look for those sort of guests as opposed to a straight up alternative as I see it as a hand in hand, LFCC gets the bigger guests such as last year having David Tennant and Matt Smith two youd never see at a Fantom event (also Fantom have a stall at LFCC so I’m sure it’s a grey zone of morality).

I knew what you meant, it's just the not too distant past any other show was forbidden to be mentioned. But as you say, fantom has stands at both film fair and LFCC so probably would have been considered safe to mention

• Like 1

6 hours ago, D-C-A said:

It's a shame that William Russell is no longer able to do one last show, as I sadly read that he struggled on Power of the Doctor. But it is good to see other 60's actresses back on the scene. Maureen O'Brien was a delight last year, and Wendy Padbury has been doing a few recently.

It would be nice to see Anneke back on the convention scene, I know she's active on her website.

3 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

It's a shame that William Russell is no longer able to do one last show, as I sadly read that he struggled on Power of the Doctor. But it is good to see other 60's actresses back on the scene. Maureen O'Brien was a delight last year, and Wendy Padbury has been doing a few recently.

It would be nice to see Anneke back on the convention scene, I know she's active on her website.

Russell is one of the top contenders on a list of people I want but I know that’s a borderline impossibility now, the man is 97 closer to 98, I hope he’s not suffering as id love for him to be the first centurion companion as it would be the most appropriate.

Padbury is one I sadly missed out on as she was meant to attend in 2020 but pulled out, according to Frazer Hines it was back issues and I’m happy to take his word on that, I know the two are friends, so I’d love both her and Frazer to attend together, it’s a shame you can’t do the new dates, I fortunately work on a zero hour contract so time off is effectively me saying I’m not bothered to work and I’m golden, and if anything I have the least usage of requested off days at my place of work so a date change is never an issue for me, I can take days off to do the fantom events whenever I want, but I do prioritise LFCC given it’s a bigger event and usually has more guests, not that I think there’s been some overlap.

really the guests I want badly are William Russell, Carol Ann Ford, Jean Marsh, Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines, John Levene and Wendy Padbury so I can finish the cover of my lost in time project with the 10th space likely going to David Graham if I ever meet him, anyone else who just happens to be in those 18 odd episodes goes on the back, which is also running out of space so into the booklet soon enough lmao

• Like 1

Hopefully, it was just someone expressing a genuine concern. But at 98, I would say he's earnt his retirement and hopefully see's his century. Doesnt help you I know.

I could get the weekend off, if I really wanted to, LFCC in July falls on my weekend in, but that one I book every year so holiday request went in as soon as announced. Like you I prioritise that one, I think I'm now waiting for that one guest that makes me want to re-book. And put that holiday request in again. 

I'd love Jean Marsh and Anneke to get one step closer to finishing my Light at the End audio, I missed the chance to get India Fisher a few years back though not at a showmasters event. Jean I think had a stroke around 10 years ago, hopefully she's recovered sufficiently, she has given a few interviews in recent years, so there may be hope she can attend, if only in a limited capacity

Hopefully we’ll have Jodie Whittaker and/or Jo Martin.

I missed out on previous opportunities as I personally didn’t feel comfortable attending the events on those occasions in view of the pandemic.

But now at a comfort level and got no other commitments at the same time that I will be attending all 3 days.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Hopefully, it was just someone expressing a genuine concern. But at 98, I would say he's earnt his retirement and hopefully see's his century. Doesnt help you I know.

I could get the weekend off, if I really wanted to, LFCC in July falls on my weekend in, but that one I book every year so holiday request went in as soon as announced. Like you I prioritise that one, I think I'm now waiting for that one guest that makes me want to re-book. And put that holiday request in again. 

I'd love Jean Marsh and Anneke to get one step closer to finishing my Light at the End audio, I missed the chance to get India Fisher a few years back though not at a showmasters event. Jean I think had a stroke around 10 years ago, hopefully she's recovered sufficiently, she has given a few interviews in recent years, so there may be hope she can attend, if only in a limited capacity

i was unaware that Jean had suffered a stroke, i do hope she's okay now, i'm at the point where if i fail to get anyone on that cover of Lost in time, the space is gonna be blank as a mark of respect in my own way, i'm not going to replace them with another name, just seems wrong, the cover is for the regulars, which for her role as Sara Kingdom, Marsh in my opinion earns that spot, and i'm getting Levine next month i know he's not benton in any of those episodes but as far as i'm concerned its his journey and he does play a regular eventually.

the way i view it if i miss Russell i'll be sad yes, but not without understanding, the man has had a long life and his career has never really gone away, he did a TV show for 2 years in the 1960's and became immortalised as a result, thats what i love about this series, as for Anneke ive got her on a dvd already but i've not met her as i custom ordered "Power of the Daleks" Special Edition, i dont regret it as it is dedicated to me, but i still wanna meet her of course.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sebster118 said:

Hopefully we’ll have Jodie Whittaker and/or Jo Martin.

I missed out on previous opportunities as I personally didn’t feel comfortable attending the events on those occasions in view of the pandemic.

But now at a comfort level and got no other commitments at the same time that I will be attending all 3 days.

I was fortunate to meet both, Jodie was on the second attempt, the first time i didn't have the money to buy the diamond pass, the second time i was fortunate to be much more financially well off, TBH LFCC in November i must have spent well over £1500 in total costs, 1/3 of that was entry tickets and two guests, i cannot begin to imagine the pure chaos if they had David Tennant and Matt Smith on the same day, but i do wish they did Diamond Pass Options where you could chose to upgrade the tickets in a personal customisation, as when i got one for Jodie i got the basic photo, would have loved one with her in the outfit, Showmasters if you're reading theres an idea for you.

overall i'm a little worried undoubtedly they're sort of lacking on guests i'm after this time around, i've got 4 on the list and year theirs around 4 months to go, but the only new one being Ernie Hudson has been known to drop out, i know there will be more but hopefully you guys get my point, i would be a little disheartened if i spent all the money for a small selection of guests I've already met or the majority so, on that note if its a guest i've only met once or twice and was a regular no issues there, so Peter Davison would be lovely for me, cause with Colin and Sylvester in regular attendance i would be spending more money for an extra autograph for certain CDs to have all three signed, speaking of which question time.

for this con and whats been announced, doctor who guest wise what're you planning to get signed, i pose this question with each guest and i'll list mine for the previous 4.

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy i'll list together, for Colin DVD wise i'm going for "the Twin Dilemma" as i have about 5 signatures on that one already (I'll answer what if anyones interested for this one and any other DVD/CD/Blu ray, or i'll post a link to the main video i have up somewhere) and its one of 6 DVDs i havent got signed by him, this may be boosted if i do something else but thats for a later choice, Sylvester i'm going for "Delta and the Bannermen" as by this point that DVD will have 8 Signatures, the second item i want signed by both is "Project: Lazarus" but if Peter Davison is announced (Outside chance) that will be changed to "Sirens of Time" for all 3 and if Paul McGann as well (Even more outside chance) "Zagreus".

Andrew Cartmel, i'm gonna go for "Delta and the Bannermen" as well for reasons i do hope are obvious, and then his one main range CD he wrote "Winter for the Adept" i'm not the biggest fan of that one but he wrote it so why not really.

Ernie Hudson is obvious that'll be "Torchwood: Miracle Day".

what about you guys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D-C-A said:

i do wish they did Diamond Pass Options where you could chose to upgrade the tickets in a personal customisation, as when i got one for Jodie i got the basic photo, would have loved one with her in the outfit, Showmasters if you're reading theres an idea for you.

I think it's just too complicated, it means that every pass would have to be custom printed.  They can't just say 'print 1000 of them for X' each one would have to be custom printed and priced and that would be a logistical nightmare.

• Like 1