Will Showmasters actually step ahead of the goverments advice and request people wear masks?

My eyes nearly fell out when I saw the exact figures for you-know-what, my friend thought only between 15,000 and 20,000 on average a day were getting it but its more than double that... I'd better suit up, multiple goggles and masks and be a snowwwwmaaaaan...

On 7/1/2022 at 8:45 PM, AckAck said:

There are some guests I have read about who are wearing masks (except for photo shoot).

Ps do u mind if I ask who these may b?

31 minutes ago, shakeYourGrooveThing said:

My eyes nearly fell out when I saw the exact figures for you-know-what, my friend thought only between 15,000 and 20,000 on average a day were getting it but its more than double that... I'd better suit up, multiple goggles and masks and be a snowwwwmaaaaan...

Ps do u mind if I ask who these may b?

I'd imagine Sylvester McCoy would be one. At the Spring LFCC, he asked for distancing in his photoshoots. Didn't see him wearing a mask then, but he may do now given rising numbers.

• Sad 1

Just now, Not_Pennys_Ship said:

My view is, if a person chooses to wear a mask (or not)....I'll respect their decision.  

We have to live with this virus (like any type of virus), let natural immunity do the job and stop bothering us with it (I got this virus at the end of March when I had done the 3 doses suddenly I have the 4th automatically.)

• Like 1

The daft thing is, unless it’s an uber high end surgical grade mask, it’s not going to protect you. It’s designed to stop you infecting others. The concept of universal mask wearing was to massively prevent transmission vectors, not reception vectors. With barely anyone wearing masks, wearing one yourself is going to do nothing to stop you catching covid. Just respect for meeting guests and protecting them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Wesker said:

We have to live with this virus (like any type of virus), let natural immunity do the job and stop bothering us with it (I got this virus at the end of March when I had done the 3 doses suddenly I have the 4th automatically.)

I agree, although natural immunity probably won't last too long with all the mutations, and there's a risk of complications if you get ill, so I'm still going to wear a mask to try and avoid it. Wearing a mask is just a mild inconvenience, not like lockdown (never want to go back to that).

9 hours ago, Mayhem said:

The daft thing is, unless it’s an uber high end surgical grade mask, it’s not going to protect you. It’s designed to stop you infecting others. The concept of universal mask wearing was to massively prevent transmission vectors, not reception vectors. With barely anyone wearing masks, wearing one yourself is going to do nothing to stop you catching covid. Just respect for meeting guests and protecting them.

That's why I'm going to use FFP2 masks, the ones that offer the highest protection. And fingers crossed! I know that doesn't guarantee anything, but anything I can do to minimize the risk I will do.

• Like 5

I’m fairly concerned at the general blasé attitude to Covid at the moment, especially given the historic death toll and as we don’t know what the long term effects will be.

Let’s not forget, the main reason that masks are no longer mandated is because Boris and his cronies got caught partying away whilst the nation respected the rules, to the extent that they couldn’t even be with loved ones when they passed on, alone. The Govt  lost all authority on the subject once Partygate made the news.

I won’t listen to that buffoon and his self serving cabinet  about anything, let alone about “living with” Covid. His days in office are numbered…

I’m not going to LFCC this year mainly because of the increased Covid risk, but having said that there aren’t many good guests left that interest me after all the cancellations…

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The replies started of so well :uhoh: reassuring even then ... it's tumbled down since :ph34r:

I've been wearing surgical masks even before vaccinated I find they provide a great seal on my face and 98% filteration masks have to be changed every four hours so maybe this is why some think they don't work when they are just applied and not changed.

I respect the choice of others not to wear them but others who do should also have views respected.

I've tried FFP2 and can't get them to create a seal as good as the masks I had been using all along.

• Like 1

Very few wearing masks at LFCC Spring that I can recall, though Summer is obviously a much bigger event.

Personally, I have had 5 jabs (post kidney transplant so low immunity) but I am also mask exempt, so I'd say it's down to personal circumstances & decisions.

• Moderators
On 7/1/2022 at 6:22 PM, RyanHSaunders91 said:

Masks are no longer legal requirement anywhere, but are advised in certain places. Which means you can still wear one if you so choose. Unless Showmasters specifically announce before next weekend, that they will enforce it (which they can’t anyway, only advise!), then nobody is legally required to or even be forced to wear a mask. The last two Comic Con events at Olympia were fine, masks weren’t required, it’s down to the attendee to decide whether or not they want to wear one. It all comes down to personal choice and nobody should be judged for it :-)

You’re actually wrong about one thing which is that if Showmasters chooses, they can’t enforce mask mandates - if Showmasters decide to have a mask mandate at the event, they can enforce it. Not “legally” like you won’t be fined, but they can absolutely restrict access to those unwilling to follow the policies of the event. Which can change. Without notice. I am speaking on this as a licenced SIA operative and not in my role as a crew member/mod because honestly I’m not sure what the office’s policy is other than following government advice. I have worked other events where official policy is no entry to anyone unwilling to mask. It is perfectly lawful as a term of entry. But again, this is not yet the case for LFCC.