Will Showmasters actually step ahead of the goverments advice and request people wear masks?

ONS data points to 1 in 30 which is a huge jump from only three weeks ago.

Instead of waiting for the govermment do what Disney did for Star Wars Celebration and only request people to wear them, not enfroce but it will at least encourage more to maybe think about doing so.

If anyone replies just don't go I am sorry but I've spent £261 on a Gold pass can't throw away money for those who think masks prevent people living life.

That is all Showmasters has to do is just remind people and ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrong Name said:

I’m not looking for any arguments but I think at this point, everyone knows about masks and those who want to wear them, will wear them. 

I have to agree with this. Those who will.... will, and those who won't.... won't.

I think we're passed the point of convincing people to wear them and unless SM say you have to wear one for entry into the event there's not much else that can be done unless the government announces something. 

I know of only 1 company within the last six months of events that I've been to that have actively checked a vaccination / negative test status and asked for masks to be worn. 

Like Wrong Name said I'm not looking for arguments and certainly don't want this thread to turn into a Covid argument.

From my own perspective I'll be wearing a mask the entire time and be quickly removing it for photos and putting it back on. I know I'll be in the minority but I'll be happy and it causes no harm to anyone else.

• Like 3

This is partly why I am going Friday this year, it is like chalk and cheese fri/sat, last LFCC I went to Friday was pleasant to walk around, whereas Saturday was like the tube. But some people don't mind masses of people.....;)

Edited by AckAck
  • Thanks 1

I’ll be wearing a mask, but I expect to be in the minority. I still wear one in the shops and on public transport. I’m not particularly worried about Covid (I’m triple jabbed) but I haven’t had a cold in over 2 years and I’m not in a hurry to catch another one.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, FlamingIdiots said:

ONS data points to 1 in 30 which is a huge jump from only three weeks ago.

Instead of waiting for the govermment do what Disney did for Star Wars Celebration and only request people to wear them, not enfroce but it will at least encourage more to maybe think about doing so.

If anyone replies just don't go I am sorry but I've spent £261 on a Gold pass can't throw away money for those who think masks prevent people living life.

That is all Showmasters has to do is just remind people and ask.

Masks are no longer legal requirement anywhere, but are advised in certain places. Which means you can still wear one if you so choose. Unless Showmasters specifically announce before next weekend, that they will enforce it (which they can’t anyway, only advise!), then nobody is legally required to or even be forced to wear a mask. The last two Comic Con events at Olympia were fine, masks weren’t required, it’s down to the attendee to decide whether or not they want to wear one. It all comes down to personal choice and nobody should be judged for it :-)

Edited by RyanHSaunders91
  • Like 1

All you can do is use your common sense and do what is going to make you feel comfortable.  You can't rely on others, least of all this Government, to provide advice or assistance on these kind of life choices.  I'm sure there are many of us thinking along the same lines.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AckAck said:

This is partly why I am going Friday this year, it is like chalk and cheese fri/sat, last LFCC I went to Friday was pleasant to walk around, whereas Saturday was like the tube. But some people don't mind masses of people.....;)

I would love to go on the Friday but the guests i want to meet aren't attending that day :grump: and i actually have to go Sunday this year as am going to a concert on Saturday and i thought Sundays would be less busy but i remember going a Sunday before Covid happened in 2019 and it was mad but the previous year or two was fine i just hope it won't be too bad this year :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, dogsoldierspoon said:

Honestly, they didn't bother for LFCC Winter last year, so can't imagine them enforcing it now

Yeah and they didn't bother earlier this year when i went to the Spring one and not many were wearing masks i think it was mainly people who are vulnerable and not as immune that are wearing them now 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaWhovianGuy said:

Yeah and they didn't bother earlier this year when i went to the Spring one and not many were wearing masks i think it was mainly people who are vulnerable and not as immune that are wearing them now 

I'm sure there will also be people wearing them out of respect for those attendees who are "vulnerable and not as immune".  Because we're not all selfish and irresponsible are we?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MVronsky78 said:

I'm sure there will also be people wearing them out of respect for those attendees who are "vulnerable and not as immune".  Because we're not all selfish and irresponsible are we?!

No im certainly not i do still wear mine on public transport and if somebody requested i wear it to help them feel safer i certainly will :coolthumb:

• Like 2

It is reassuring to see some said they will, it does not have to be made manditory but even if some do that's better than none.

My plan is anyway on Saturday to avoid the floor as much as I can I'm just going between talks from 10:30-2:30 and any Saturday only guests and then I'm leaving.

I've also heard two medical experts come on the radio today saying wearing certain masks is enough to protect from others which is also reassuring along with hand washing.

I'm already organized to avoid as much contact as possible with the correct cash and sanitizer and have not booked for any photoshoots also will carry spare masks to change outdoors along with device sanitizer so if I do want any photos with any of the two paid prop shoots I've seen I can give that a whipe.

My only question is now does anyone know who bag checks work? I'm going to carry the bare minimum compared to the last one I went to just an a4 wallet for autographs and water and snacks will they handle the contents of the bag or can I just hold the bag open for them to look inside without them handling whats inside? Thanks it's reassuring reading the comments today.

• Like 3

Bag checkers should have gloves from memory (of 2019 events).

That is pretty standard.

It is usually a lot quieter up on the balconies than on the main floor.

There are some guests I have read about who are wearing masks (except for photo shoot).

Edited by AckAck
Additions added
  • Like 2

Although for most of us Covid is unlikely to cause any major problems we have no idea of the vulnerability of others. With case rates currently rising I am more than happy to wear a mask to help protect others. 

@FlamingIdiotsthe last event I went to in November I just held my bag open for staff to look inside. It may be different this time but unlikely. 

• Like 4

I'll be wearing a mask most of the time, purely down to the volume of people, it's just down to minimising the risks. And it will be one of the few times I will be. Even though I dont wear them to shops etc.. I still carry a supply of them.  I still have horrible memories and long term effects from catching it a couple of years ago. And however mild it might be this time round, being triple vaxxed. I have no intention of catching it again.

Even with the spring show, i minimised how many photoshoots i bought, this show I've only the one as it came with the diamond pass

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlamingIdiots said:

It is reassuring to see some said they will, it does not have to be made manditory but even if some do that's better than none.

My plan is anyway on Saturday to avoid the floor as much as I can I'm just going between talks from 10:30-2:30 and any Saturday only guests and then I'm leaving.

I've also heard two medical experts come on the radio today saying wearing certain masks is enough to protect from others which is also reassuring along with hand washing.

I'm already organized to avoid as much contact as possible with the correct cash and sanitizer and have not booked for any photoshoots also will carry spare masks to change outdoors along with device sanitizer so if I do want any photos with any of the two paid prop shoots I've seen I can give that a whipe.

My only question is now does anyone know who bag checks work? I'm going to carry the bare minimum compared to the last one I went to just an a4 wallet for autographs and water and snacks will they handle the contents of the bag or can I just hold the bag open for them to look inside without them handling whats inside? Thanks it's reassuring reading the comments today.

I’ve had bag checks where they used a short stick to sift through the contents. Their hands were never inside the bag.

15 hours ago, FlamingIdiots said:

I've been helpful and put things I clear plastic bags in my big bag before so all they had to do was glance inside. 

Edited by LadyDeTemps
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 10:16 PM, yellowmarlin said:

I’ve had bag checks where they used a short stick to sift through the contents. Their hands were never inside the bag.

And yet when I put my short stick in people's bags I get in trouble for it.

• Haha 6

Think while masks are a hot-button topic, an even hotter-button topic will be the sanitation of the Gaming Zone. Will they require people to sanitise their hands before & after using controllers? Will they be avoiding any VR games?

Edit: Just a disclaimer, I'm not downplaying the risk of not wearing masks, but if memory serves, they didn't have video games zones at the previous two Cons, so I'm interested to see how they'll do this.

Edited by Roostavo
  • Like 1

Glad to hear some people will be wearing masks, and I won't be the only one. I have a Scotland holiday planned directly after LFCC, so if I get covid it will f- up those plans even if it is a mild case. So I'm going to be as careful as possible, and hopefully I won't get it.

• Like 2

Celebration just gone in California required masks and only about half were actually wearing inside, they just took them off. Apparently SDCC is requiring masks and covid negative tests, have to see how that goes in due course later this month. And those are the only two events this year I’m aware of that have has any sort of protective requirement. So I’m not predicting anything else, left to your discretion based on how Spring event went. All the staff were wearing, very few others were, even the guests.