Star Wars Zone Guest Announcement SHIRLEY CONRAD

• Showmasters Admin

Star Wars Zone Guest Announcement - Shirley Conrad

Appearing: Sunday

Autograph: £10

Shirley has appeared in Star Wars as a Hoth Trooper in Empire Strikes Back, in Doctor Who, in Little Shop of Horrors, in Superman II, and in The Great Train Robbery, and many more.

web-shirley-conrad.jpg.7413f1bdc31e2a91402bae12e933004d.jpg

• showmasters unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Having dug deeper it’s a little underhanded and a small lie that they list her as working on Doctor who when she never actually recorded her scenes (Blocks 2&3 of Shada for reference), so it’s me debating if I will have her sign my copy.

also funfact she’s the only member of Conrad family who never actually appeared in Doctor who, her husband, Brother in law (the only one they haven’t booked for this convention) and both sons have all appeared in the series.

Obviously, it all depends on how tight your budget is, but for me the key questions would be - will I get the chance to meet her again? Will I regret not getting her later, given she's only £10?

If you're reluctant to get Shirley to sign the DVD cover, with cast or crew who actually worked on 'Shada', maybe she could sign the booklet inside? Alternatively, you could get a 'Shada' related photo, or one of her, printed that will fit inside the DVD case, & get her to sign that?

Edited by Geoff K

27 minutes ago, Geoff K said:

Obviously, it all depends on how tight your budget is, but for me the key questions would be - will I get the chance to meet her again? Will I regret not getting her later, given she's only £10?

If you're reluctant to get Shirley to sign the DVD cover, with cast or crew who actually worked on 'Shada', maybe she could sign the booklet inside? Alternatively, you could get a 'Shada' related photo, or one of her, printed that will fit inside the DVD case, & get her to sign that?

But she never filmed any of the episode. We just know she was scheduled to appear in the episode. And that is all.

So getting her on a Doctor Who DVD cover, when she didnt work on it, is not something I would do.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't get Shirley to sign the cover either. If she's an included auto at a future Doctor Who Con I go to, I'll get her to sign the booklet inside, or a photo to go inside the DVD case.

Given the history of 'Shada' it just seems nice to include her somehow, even though she didn't get to film her scenes.

Anyway, hopefully I've given D-C-A something to consider - it's up to them what they do.

16 hours ago, Geoff K said:

I personally wouldn't get Shirley to sign the cover either. If she's an included auto at a future Doctor Who Con I go to, I'll get her to sign the booklet inside, or a photo to go inside the DVD case.

Given the history of 'Shada' it just seems nice to include her somehow, even though she didn't get to film her scenes.

Anyway, hopefully I've given D-C-A something to consider - it's up to them what they do.

I agree mate, there are no wrong answers here just personal preferences.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow Didn't see the response, but personally i'm planning to go forward with getting the autograph, specifically the 92' edit as i call it or the first DVD release, as i feel the 17' edit isn't appropriate as thats finished without any involvement.

my budget fortunatley can stretch for an extra £10 to have her sign it, Doctor Who autographs are always something i get where possible but i do have my limits and i think this one just makes it, an example of one that woudln't make it is Chris Barrie, cause i read somewhere he was considered for the role of the 8th doctor, thats clearly a stretch even for me.

really i don't mind having someone on the cover (or even the booklet as Geoff suggested) as 'Shada' is a story that IMO is looked at from a number of different perspectives, firstly as a story in Doctor who, secondly as a production that was never infact finished despite being 1/3 done, so even though Shirley Conrad never got to film any scenes to me its down to she was meant to be involved with the troubled production and my curiosity side wants to delve and see what she may know about it, or as en extra her experience being cast on it.

that overall said, its still a bit fishy that Showmasters list her as Doctor who, even tho i had to dig up and find what exactly her connection is (In fact her strongest connection is that her husband, sons and brother in law have all appeared, and on a side note i'd love if they managed to announce the one Conrad who in this case is named Ron as well).

• Like 2

I have a book on the making of the 1996 Doctor Who movie, which has a chapter on the search to find the actor to play the 8th Doctor. Chris Barrie does appear on a list of actors to contact regarding the role, but it didn't go any further. I do have the chapter signed by Tony Slattery, who was screen tested, but obviously didn't get the role.

If I get the chance, I'll get the other actors who screen tested for the role to sign it as well.

• Like 2

I think really it comes down to what you deem valuable in your collection or not, i know a large wealth of Doctor who fans consider the signatures of both Jessica Carney (Granddaughter of William Hartnell) and Ben Craze (Son of Michael Craze) to be valuable ones to collect, which i do agree with the Former has done a documentary on "The Time Meddler" i believe and the latter was named for his Fathers Character and has over the years been invited to conventions in his fathers legacy, which if you ask me is rather wholesome.

i've got listed all the Doctor who related people that i can meet with what i have the only one to memory i don't have anything to sign is Tony Lee, as my policy is the media itself, and i don't have any of the audioplays he wrote, let alone the money to get them on such short notice.

as for the book, that to me is a great piece of information that at some point i may look into myself, i don't think i'd get Chris Barrie to sign it myself, your opinion on that is yours, that however is not anything against Chris, i love Red Dwarf and he is a massive part of it, and whilst i do have the first 8 series on DVD i'm at this point in time exclusively hunting for Doctor who related signatures (With only a handful of small exceptions, those for anyone curious are Ian Lavender and Frank Williams of Dad's army fame, mainly as i love that show and the memories i have of watching it with my late Granddad, and the Allo Allo Cast, although whilst theres some doctor who overlap there it if i can stretch the budget actors like Guy Siner would be on both), but this thread has really helped me make up my mind and i'm gonna get her signature on the DVD cover, so if you see either a Deku, Leon Kennedy or Kaneki getting "Shada" signed thats me come say hi i don't mind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, D-C-A said:

as for the book, that to me is a great piece of information that at some point i may look into myself, i don't think i'd get Chris Barrie to sign it myself, your opinion on that is yours, that however is not anything against Chris, i love Red Dwarf and he is a massive part of it, and whilst i do have the first 8 series on DVD i'm at this point in time exclusively hunting for Doctor who related signatures (With only a handful of small exceptions, those for anyone curious are Ian Lavender and Frank Williams of Dad's army fame, mainly as i love that show and the memories i have of watching it with my late Granddad, and the Allo Allo Cast, although whilst theres some doctor who overlap there it if i can stretch the budget actors like Guy Siner would be on both), but this thread has really helped me make up my mind and i'm gonna get her signature on the DVD cover, so if you see either a Deku, Leon Kennedy or Kaneki getting "Shada" signed thats me come say hi i don't mind.

As a side note to your 'Allo 'Allo, Doctor Who overlap, there is a photo of the two casts mingling outside during a fire drill, I want to say during Remembrance of the Daleks off the top of my head. Whilst not quite the same as what you are meaning. It's still a snapshot of the the shows. I'll see if I can find it

Edited by Mfahey79
grammar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoff K said:

I have a book on the making of the 1996 Doctor Who movie, which has a chapter on the search to find the actor to play the 8th Doctor. Chris Barrie does appear on a list of actors to contact regarding the role, but it didn't go any further. I do have the chapter signed by Tony Slattery, who was screen tested, but obviously didn't get the role.

If I get the chance, I'll get the other actors who screen tested for the role to sign it as well.

The same as for Peter Capaldi, when they where doing the DS9 anniversary, they managed to find his audition for Captain Sisko. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D-C-A said:

I think really it comes down to what you deem valuable in your collection or not, i know a large wealth of Doctor who fans consider the signatures of both Jessica Carney (Granddaughter of William Hartnell) and Ben Craze (Son of Michael Craze) to be valuable ones to collect, which i do agree with the Former has done a documentary on "The Time Meddler" i believe and the latter was named for his Fathers Character and has over the years been invited to conventions in his fathers legacy, which if you ask me is rather wholesome.

in the same vain, Patrick Troughton's sons have appeared in the show in their own right, and his grandson is the spitting image of a young Patrick.  Sean Pertwee has even cos-played as his dad

17 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

As a side note to your 'Allo 'Allo, Doctor Who overlap, there is a photo of the two casts mingling outside during a fire drill, I want to say during Remembrance of the Daleks off the top of my head. Whilst not quite the same as what you are meaning. It's still a snapshot of the the shows. I'll see if I can find it

I know the photo you mean and its actually from "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy", during the asbestos scare that nearly closed down production, as for Troughton he's spawned a family of actors, from what i know two sons and two grandsons are both actors, hell i loved Sam Troughton in Chernoybl, i was shocked when i realised it was him.

and for the overlap the ones that come to mind are, Carmen Silvera appeared in two stories "The Celestial Toymaker" and "Invasion of the DInosaurs" before becoming Edith Atrois (that stupid woman), Hillairy Minister appeared as Marrat in "Planet of the Daleks" before becoming a nameless Thal in "Genesis of the Daleks" which also featured Guy Siner as Ravon, the two would become General Von Klinkerhoffen and Lieutenant Gruber respectively, John D.collins appeared in "Arc of Infinity" around the same time he was cast as Fairfax, David Rowlands who played the Doctor in the final few series of Allo Allo was Bisham in "The Sun Makers", Richard Gibson did two audio stoires for Big finish those being "Flip Flop" and "Warlocks cross" and i just found out Arthur Bostrum was in "Scarday Cat" what a good Moaning that was to find out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update for anyone whose interested, i did in the end get Shirley Conrad on the cover of "Shada" i asked her about it if she knew anything, sadly nothing but i still wanted her to sign it, so she did it in silver smaller than most at the base of the cover, she complimented me on my "Detective skills" in doing my homework to find that out, now in say 10 - 70 years whoever inherrits that cover from me is going to be confused as to why this random woman has signed a dvd to which she has no apparent involvement.

• Like 3

It's a shame she couldn't reveal any details, howevever minor or insignificant into the episode or her role. 

I wrestled with having her sign my 500 year diary, especially with the rest of the family signing the same page. It would have made it a proper family affair, but I decided against it. Looking back i should have just done it

• Like 1

she did speak so fondly of the twins, and given all four of them were there it was nice to have them all which i think added to why i wanted "Shada" signed by her, in hindsight i wish i had of paid an extra tenner and also had Les sign "The Twin Dilema" so he was with his sons, but missed opputunity i guess.