General Chat

Some good guests announced tonight. although mostly the Destination Star Trek guests sideways shifted to July.

Santiago Cabrera for The Musketeers collection for me from them all

Edited by Mfahey79
spelling

18 hours ago, Roostavo said:

Good job it wasn't Ewan McGregor - he's doing Comic Con Scotland instead - £175 for a photo. Eye-watering price.

He’s the equivalent of £250 at SW Celebration right now. Premium guests, premium prices, people sadly have got to get used to that. Autographs are a luxury not an essential. I paid roughly £200 each for the two autographs I have from him.

4 hours ago, shakeYourGrooveThing said:

i believe u shouldn't b mentioning other events

Barely anyone is here from the SM or related team any more, so most of us “ oldies” don’t give a toss as no one is around to enforce that rule really.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Barely anyone is here from the SM or related team any more, so most of us “ oldies” don’t give a toss as no one is around to enforce that rule really.

Appreciated. But still, I'm not one to dump on the unspoken rules. I shall say no more of other events.

I always thought that talking about events is okay as long as you do not mention the name of the event or link to them. 

I mean SM are not the only signing event in the world, or even in the country. There will always be competition. 

Still, talking about the forums. After coming back from a several month break I am really surprised at how quiet it is around here. Feels weird and kind of depressing really. 

• Sad 1

Read an old thread the other day where it was basically stated that nothing could be posted that would identify another company's event.

It is sad to see the forum now, compared to how it used to be. Think it may be a general thing these days, people seem to prefer using FB or Twitter rather than forums. Maybe they don't see the point in joining a forum, when they're already on FB etc.

Edited by Geoff K

5 hours ago, Kurdamoni said:

Still, I miss the old days when we had huge threads here with guest guessing and stuff

Yeah, the hype is gone here. The big countdowns for the upcoming guests and for the event itself. 

19 hours ago, Sassy1988 said:

I always thought that talking about events is okay as long as you do not mention the name of the event or link to them. 

I mean SM are not the only signing event in the world, or even in the country. There will always be competition. 

Still, talking about the forums. After coming back from a several month break I am really surprised at how quiet it is around here. Feels weird and kind of depressing really. 

It's more because this is their forum, they pay for the site and the bandwidth and all that so they reasonably, don't want other companies advertised here.  I've used this analogy in the past but it works - it'd be like going into M&S and loudly telling everyone about the items they have in H&M and to go and shop there.  If you did that, I'm sure they would ask you to leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raylenth said:

It's more because this is their forum, they pay for the site and the bandwidth and all that so they reasonably, don't want other companies advertised here.  I've used this analogy in the past but it works - it'd be like going into M&S and loudly telling everyone about the items they have in H&M and to go and shop there.  If you did that, I'm sure they would ask you to leave.

Yeah, it makes sense. 

I was just under a different assumption. Moving on....

• Like 1

Are there any restrictions this year in regards to 'a virus which I won't name'......?

i.e. do you need an app or proof of anything.

Last event I attended was 2019.....:P

Edited by AckAck

The passports are no longer mandatory for venues, though a small monthly signing I go to has only just stopped requiring them to be shown before entering. I've not seen anything yet regarding any rules for this year, but I expect Showmasters will clarify things nearer the event.

Edited by Geoff K
  • Like 1

for the one in January, it was just after the rules changed, so they were more advisory more than anything. we'll have to wait and see if Showmasters updates things, but these were the rules for Spring

1.    No person with symptoms or anyone who has tested positive in the last 10 days and has not subsequently had a negative test in the last 5 days should attend the event.

2.    If you have any doubts about your health status or are exhibiting any symptoms please take personal responsibility and test yourself with a LFT before travelling to the event.

3.    If you have been mixing with others outside your normal circles or been part of a large crowd within the last couple of days then please take personal responsibility and test yourself with a LFT before travelling to the event.

4.    Everyone at the event should wear a face covering if they can for the mutual protection of all involved – guests, visitors and staff. These will not need to be worn in photo shoots.

5.    Hand sanitising stations are located around the hall, please ensure you use these regularly or bring your own so you can maintain hygiene levels.

• Like 3

Just to jump in on the 'don't mention other cons' thing, it's kinda ok to mention something like San Diego, because it's such a big cultural event.

You shouldn't mention other UK events that could be considered competition for SM though. I definitely wouldn't mention this show for example. That'd be a real no-no. All of the Monopoly cons either. Not the Liverpool one. Not the Manchester one. Not the Scotland one. Nor all of their 'For The Love of...' ones. Don't mention any of them.

Don't even think about mentioning Wales Comic Con. 

Starfury Events (e.g. Crossroads, Survival, both of their Ultimates ones) are a bit different, but it's still best not to mention any of those either.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2