Films watched in 2022

Daniel

Downton Abbey: New Era.  On the whole it was very enjoyable.  Given someone in the cast, I may well be biased but I thought it was better than the first film.  It was both funny and sad, but it was overall a very good addition to the story.  

There was one sub plot that felt a bit unnecessary in hindsight, and may have been there simply to give that character something to do, but other than that I have no real complaints.

Posted (edited)

Downtown Abbey: A New Era was alright. Not a fan of the TV series but I admit some of if was entertaining. If you are a fan of the show you'll probably enjoy it.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A young man climbing up a fire escape to a young woman on a balcony

WEST SIDE STORY (2021)

2/5 (Spoilers!!)

I've never seen the stage-show or the original film, all I knew was that it was loosely based on Romeo & Juliet. The musical sequences are good and the costumes and sets look great but I just found it a bit boring especially the first 20+ mins. I realize the two leads have to fall in love quickly as the film is "only" 2.5hrs long but the whole love-at-first-sight scene was just too unbelievable, they could have at least fallen in love over singing a song together (like in MOULIN ROUGE). But that was only the first thing that troubled me, next up was the fact Maria forgives Tony for killing her brother! Not only that but Anita then forgives Maria and allows her to run away with Tony, her husband's killer! And then for some reason, Anita tells everyone Maria has been killed. 

Edited by nicky

Posted (edited)

Benedetta 2021 poster.jpg

BENEDETTA (2021)

3.5/5 (No Spoilers)

I love Paul Verhoeven films. ELLE (2016) was a disappointment to me and I feared this new film would be another with its lesbian nuns premise. Thankfully BENEDETTA is a surprising return to form and is filled with the director's trademarks - there's plenty sex, plenty Christianity and some violence. The film's medieval setting amidst the plague and Christian themes reminded me of Verhoeven's first Hollywood film, FLESH + BLOOD (1985).

But sex isn't the main focus of the the story although it does seem to be the film's main marketing point - of course, sex sells. The story is more about Christianity and whether Benedetta herself (Virginie Efira) is what she claims to be. It takes a while before the two nuns start having sex and the seduction itself could've been fleshed-out more as there's very little justification as to why the frolicking begins other than just simple curiosity and experimentation. But I guess for some, experimentation and curiosity is a common impetus for engaging in homo-eroticism.

There's a (sexual) torture/interrogation scene which is pretty hard to watch even though you don't see anything apart from the torture device itself but that alone and the screaming is enough to make you squirm. Equally memorable is a particular character's death and the reaction of another's. It's all powerful stuff and the story makes clever comparisons to Joan Of Arc and leaves you asking "was it or wasn't it real?" much like Verhoeven's TOTAL RECALL (1990).

Edited by nicky

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. I think a lot of the so so reviews are from people who were expecting too much after the last Spider-Man film. But I really enjoyed it, it was a good solid 7/10 with lots of things to enjoy without giving anything away

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was very good. It had terrific effects and make up, it certainly wasn't afraid to go darker than some of the recent Marvel adaptations have either.

Firestarter was an adequate thriller. Certainly not the best adaptation of Stephen King's work. It had some good moments but felt like it could have done better.

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Firestarter was an adequate thriller. Certainly not the best adaptation of Stephen King's work. It had some good moments but felt like it could have done better.

It's been panned. I think it lost a lot of people by casting Zac Efron as a father. I've not seen it but it has encouraged me to seek out the Drew Barrymore version which I've not seen since the mid 80s.