Films watched in 2022

Daniel

220px-Scream2022film.jpeg

SCREAM (2022)

3/5 (No spoilers)

I was really surprised a fifth film was being made, not because director Wes Craven has now died but because I didn't think there could possibly be anymore stories to tell. But I failed to realize that these films aren't even about the stories anymore, they're about the trends going on in Hollywood - in this case the trend is "requels". 

The only SCREAM films I liked were the first two. This latest one is only alright but it's at least better than films 3 and 4 despite being a lite rehash of the original 1996 film. However, SCREAM 5 also suffers by being a sequel to just simply just 'pass-the-torch' to new characters and in doing so wastes no time in unashamedly letting audiences know what it is; an excuse to keep the franchise going "to please fans" (aka cash-grab).

There's actually a generous amount of kills and it even goes as far as to make fun of cliche horror tropes (eg. doors closing to reveal the killer) but its ultimately lacking in tension - you don't care enough about the characters when they're being chased and some are obviously created just to be fodder or 'suspects' so guessing 'who-dunnit' is more of a challenge which has become one of the franchise's main devices. Just look at all the people on the poster and the tagline, "The killer is on this poster". There's also a STUPID bit where the characters have the PERFECT chance to unmask the killer while he's unconscious but the writers waste the opportunity to have a great tense moment and just f*** it up instead.

Without Craven directing and this being the fifth entry (after an 11 year absense) it just feels a bit...lite. It's not quite a cheap imitation but the more time passes from the original trilogy, the more it all seems a bit desperate (like INDIANA JONES 5). The horror name checks are also getting really tiresome too eg. Wes, Carpenter, Loomis etc and Courtney Cox doesn't look like Courtney Cox anymore.

Edited by nicky

8 hours ago, nicky said:

Just look at all the people on the poster and the tagline, "The killer is on this poster"

I can't be the first to point this out, but there's a giant Ghostface at the top, so yeah, obviously the killer is on the poster.

• Like 2

220px-NetflixTCMPoster.jpg

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (2022)

2.5/5 (No spoilers)

I was surprised to learn the makers of EVIL DEAD (2013) and DON'T BREATHE (2016) wrote this. I didn't think TCM was that bad but I didn't enjoy it either. It is very much like the new HALLOWEEN (2018) in that it ignores the previous sequels in favour of picking up from the first film while bringing back legacy characters. To coin the term used in SCREAM (2022), it's another "requel". It's also an unnecessary hollow addition devoid of anything fresh despite being nicely shot.

Gore fans will be happy but there isn't much that connects this film to the first - yes, it features Leatherface with a chainsaw and the original's heroine is back but the chance to do something cool with her is wasted as she's reduced to being an extended cameo. Of course the other characters are just fodder...apart from the lead who has this typical back-story in an attempt to make her appear more 'emotional' but to it's credit it's better than most. Even Leatherface himself lacks any kind of personality and what he's been doing the past 5 decades remains a mystery. Take away the chainsaw and skin masks and it could've been anyone. And isn't he supposed to be in his 70s by now?!

The film is pretty short and the pacing reflects this; it's rather slow but not boring at least, it's just parts seem to drag-on especially the scenes with people hiding from Leatherface in cupboards etc which as a result make the film less scary because tension is lost. It's 50 years since the first film and we're reminded of this a lot as the story tries to introduce modern technology into the plot (streaming, self-drive cars, cancel culture etc) but it comes across as a bit goofy. The film is a guilty pleasure at best but only just. I liked the ending.

Edited by nicky

Uncharted

Really a textbook popcorn movie, I enjoyed the action sequences, although there could have been more. I had a 'national treasure meets Indiana Jones' vibe overall, which is actually a compliment. Tom Holland owns the Drake part if you ask me, he's believable and actually a good casting. They can easily make plenty of sequels since the casted such a young actor. Nice score too, Ramin Djawadi did a good job. One point of criticism; what the hell what Mark Wahlberg doing in this movie part from looking grumpy and clearly looking like he didn't want to be part of this film? I mean, for god's sake...act! 

Overall I really enjoyed it, just sit back and enjoy the graphics and action and ofcource Tom's wit and charm. 

• Like 1

The king's man

What a piece of trash.. I mean come one Ralph Fiennes, how could you have decided to say yes after reading that script?? The action sequences were ridiculous, the villains were overpowered and the good guys were just lame and weak. And the end scene.. the goat...really?? The first movie was great with Taron Egerton and Colin Firth, the second was a piece of s*** and now this one follows that style... shame really. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Matrix Resurrections 

I went in with no expectations really, because I thought to myself; it has Keany Reaves, he'll be cool. And he actually was, he really carries the movie in his Neo style 'the world presses on my shoulders' vibe. Just the beard and long hair, not really digging that tbh. I guess he was filming John Wick 4? Carrie-Ann Moss was great too, the acting was great. Music was very inspirational and even the storyline wasn't too far fetched. I enjoyed it really, more than I thought I would. Was it necessary to make a fourth? not at all, but then again, we could've gone without a second and third.. 

Wonder 

Movie from 2017 I think, about a boy with a physical handicap who tries to overcome his fear of what people think. It's really a feel good movie, with a laugh and a tear. It works big time, I loved it. Julia Roberts still is a great actress en Owen Wilson, yeah well....I don't personally like him that much, but he can act. It's a story about friendship, love and overcoming your deepest fears. Really would recommend to watch. 

220px-The_Power_of_the_Dog_(film).jpg

THE POWER OF THE DOG (2022)

1.5/5 (No spoilers)

Jane Campion basically re-worked her script for THE PIANO (1993); a 'sick' widowed piano-playing mum aided by her kid re-marries into wealth only to form an awkward bond with her new hubby's rugged bro/friend. He gets his knob out. Just like THE PIANO.

It's not a film for everyone, including me, and it's very slow and yes, it's boring. It's one of those films. You have to really pay attention or else you'll miss some very subtle plot-points as I almost did. Nicely shot and acted though. It has 12 nominations at the Oscars this year and I'm sure it will do well but since it's so similar to Campion's previous Oscar hit THE PIANO I personally don't think it should be awarded Best Adapted Screenplay.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

The Batman was a brilliant comic adaptation. It was certainly the darkest of all the Batman movies and a great performance from Robert Pattinson. The only thing I would add is that it I didn't like it as much as some of the other Batman movies. That's not a criticism just a statement about the high quality of the Batman film series.

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

The Batman was a brilliant comic adaptation. It was certainly the darkest of all the Batman movies and a great performance from Robert Pattinson. The only thing I would add is that it I didn't like it as much as some of the other Batman movies. That's not a criticism just a statement about the high quality of the Batman film series.

All I wanna know is, is it boring like Nolan's films? Would a little kid like it and understand it?

4 hours ago, nicky said:

All I wanna know is, is it boring like Nolan's films? Would a little kid like it and understand it?

The movie is a 15 certificate so not aimed at young children. I loved the Nolan films but they were darker tones too. Older children and teenagers may like but not young kids 

• Like 1

Ghost in a shell 

Based on a comic book, a nice popcorn movie once again. Scarlett Johansson proves she's a fine actress and a skilled gymnast in the action sequences. The story was smart, worked well on camera and the cast was very believable. I liked the way they portrayed the future major cities, lots of commercializing and no privacy whatsoever. Also a plausible future with body enhancements by robotics. Overall enjoyable if you don't want to overthink.

Edited by Kurdamoni

I finally got round to watching Doctor Strange.  Characters are interesting, the film got my attention quite quickly and the fight scenes look amazing. The overall plot is interesting and occasion there would be something that made me chuckle. 

In total I would give it 5/5.

• Like 1

I've again been watching a lot of films lately, but the one that's been living rent free in my mind is Judy & Punch (2019). Very dark, very nostalgic, no masterpiece but still good enough that I've rewatched it twice already. I don't know what it is, maybe Australian cinema just hits different. 9.5/10.

Alien Vs Predator: Requiem

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, very amusing. The second one did not have the same vibe, more brainless action and useless deaths. Although they still managed to have a bit of the atmosphere the other movies had. Some cheesy one-liners based on Arnold's Predator movie were kinda working. It wasn't half bad, but not as good and entertaining as the first one. 

• Confused 1

Turning Red

The new Pixar movie, looked beautiful obviously, amazing animations. Pixar really made a very good effort on creating an original storyline. A beautiful metaphor of puberty for girls. the problems it causes, the stress, emotions running wild, body changes.. well done Disney, you really made a great movie, great story and actually some really funny characters. All characters grew as the movie progressed, there were cathartic moments for all characters. I truly enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

The Silence 2019 film poster.jpg

THE SILENCE (2019)

3/5 (No Spoilers)

It wasn't THAT bad, I actually liked it except for the 3rd act when the cultist shows up. Some of the acting was sub-par (eg. 'Uncle Glenn') and the main kid just looked too much like Emma Watson. Some of the editing was a bit s*** too and it wasn't well-directed, it was kinda shoddy. And it felt like there was still a lot more to come. I liked the creatures more than the ones in A Quiet Place (2018) though.

Edited by nicky

The Adam Project.  This was an enjoyable film to watch though it's not anything spectacular.  In one respect it feels a bit like it's just another film smashing Marvel mains together again, but it worked.   The actor playing young Adam was very good.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 12:11 PM, Raylenth said:

The Adam Project.  This was an enjoyable film to watch though it's not anything spectacular.  In one respect it feels a bit like it's just another film smashing Marvel mains together again, but it worked.   The actor playing young Adam was very good.

I liked it until Zoe Saldana showed up - after that the plot got a bit up itself and played-out like a cross between BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985) and TIMECOP (1993). I thought the same as you about the Marvel-heavy casting too; you got Deadpool, Hulk, Gamora and Elektra. I didn't think Katherine Keener was a very good villain but that's not her fault, her head henchman was even worse though and was just a cliche. And they kept playing upbeat vintage rock over the action scenes which reminded me of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2015)  - the rock tunes also took away the suspense and threat you should be feeling in an action scene. Overall the film felt like one of those 80s sci-fi kid adventure films like FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (1986) and D.A.R.Y.L (1985) complete with the typical single-mum-struggling-with-son-who-misses-his-dead-dad trope just like in ET (1982).

I was about to watch RED NOTICE (2021) but I'm starting to get tired of seeing Ryan Reynolds in everything lately FREE GUY, HITMAN'S WIFE'S BODYGUARD, RED NOTICE, ADAM PROJECT, 6 UNDERGROUND. The last three of these are Netflix films too so he's all over my Netflix browse page.

Edited by nicky

17 hours ago, nicky said:

I liked it until Zoe Saldana showed up - after that the plot got a bit up itself and played-out like a cross between BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985) and TIMECOP (1993). I thought that same about the casting too, you got Deadpool, Hulk, Gamora and Elektra. I didn't think Katherine Keener was a very good villain but that's not her fault, her head henchman was even worse though and was just a cliche. And they kept playing upbeat vintage rock over the action scenes which reminded me of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2015)  - the rock tunes also took away the suspense and threat you should be feeling in an action scene.

I was about to watch RED NOTICE (2021) but I'm starting to get tired of seeing Ryan Reynolds in everything lately FREE GUY, HITMAN'S WIFE'S BODYGUARD, RED NOTICE, ADAM PROJECT, 6 UNDERGROUND. The last three of these are Netflix films too so he's all over my Netflix browse page.

Same with Tom Holland, he's in everything now.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:18 PM, nicky said:

At least he displays his wide range of acting abilities, with completely different characters in each film. Wisecracking spy, wisecracking computer game character, wisecracking bodyguard, wisecracking Pokemon, wisecracking man in glasses.

The man's a chameleon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, natedammit said:

At least he displays his wide range of acting abilities, with completely different characters in each film. Wisecracking spy, wisecracking computer game character, wisecracking bodyguard, wisecracking Pokemon, wisecracking man in glasses.

The man's a chameleon. 

Indeed, I'm not really a Reynolds fan...