Films watched in 2022

Daniel

The Kings Man.  It's an OK film, though hampered slightly I felt by the foreknowledge of Conrad's ultimate fate, as it lessened the impact a little.  Additionally, I know the Kingsman films are fundamentally, but deliberately silly for many plot points, but I rolled my eyes a little at it all being resolved by a vengeful goat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 3:47 PM, Daniel said:

MOONFALL was a brilliant science fiction blockbuster. The special effects were fantastic and the story was quite original with good performances.

I thought it was one of Roland Emmerich's worst films so far. You spend the first 90+ mins impatiently wondering WHY the moon is out of orbit and breaking - WAY too long for the big reveal, I started to get bored in the run-up and the textbook characters couldn't make up for it. The characters are pretty much the same as every Emmerich film: The Action Man, The Scientist, The Estranged Loved-one, The Ex. Then there's the same old Emmerich story-structure where you have one group of characters' narrative running parallel to another group. The film's premise was basically, 'What if such and such conspiracy theory was true?', everything else in the plot you've already seen before and is very unoriginal. It seemed to be aimed at Scientology and reminded me a lot of PROMETHEUS (2012). The ending especially was like THE ABYSS (1989) and  ARMAGEDDON (1998) - it was quite predictable. 

Edited by nicky

Scream 4.  Underwhelming and generally 'meh'.  My take away thoughts were that there was a lot of hair tossing by the female cast, enough that it really stood out to me that it might have actually been scripted 'x turns to leave, making sure to whip pony tail'.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:54 PM, Faerie Tanith said:

Very late, but I finally watched Hannibal (2001). Unpopular opinion; I like Julianne Moore as Clarice better than Jodie Foster. Also Gary Oldman is the most terrifying Mason Verger.

I think she did a good job as Clarice.  The film's not perfect, but I like it.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:54 PM, Faerie Tanith said:

Very late, but I finally watched Hannibal (2001). Unpopular opinion; I like Julianne Moore as Clarice better than Jodie Foster. Also Gary Oldman is the most terrifying Mason Verger.

I like both in the role but you have to remember the Clarice you see in Silence Of The Lambs (1991) is a rookie and in Hannibal (2001) she is an experienced tough agent and a much more mature action-woman so they naturally don't feel like the same character. Hannibal himself on the other hand seems to have become more jovial since being on the run in the latter film, something Hopkins wanted to get away from in subsequent iterations.

220px-The_Dirt_Movie_Poster.jpg

THE DIRT (2019)

4/5 (No spoilers)

I had been listening to Motley Crue's Greatest Hits album a lot lately so I looked-up this rock biopic. I really enjoyed it... even though I know it didn't do well with critics but I do agree with their negativity in that it focuses too much on the rock-star party-lifestyle rather than the drama within the plot but I think that's what makes the film more fun to watch. 

Unlike other rock biopics THE DIRT is more light in tone and has even been classed by some as a comedy. It's no surprise to learn that the director is the same guy behind JACKASS so the crazy antics within the band are at the forefront. Of course sex and drugs play a heavy role in the film but they're presented in such a way as if to glorify the rock n' roll lifestyle and not treated with the same gravity as you'd expect in STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (2015), BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (2018), WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT (1993) and ROCKETMAN (2019) etc. The serious issues in THE DIRT like addiction, illness and death could've been given more time to explore but it seems that the writers want to keep the focus on the band's unity so its not a serious heavy hard-hitting drama like those other biopics.

There's no 'Pamela Anderson' in this unfortunately but 'Heather Locklear' is in it - I would have liked to have seen more of her and the band's relationships with their families but I guess if I want to see that I'll have to watch PAM & TOMMY.

Edited by nicky

On 4/9/2022 at 8:40 PM, nicky said:

I like both in the role but you have to remember the Clarice you see in Silence Of The Lambs (1991) is a rookie and in Hannibal (2001) she is an experienced tough agent and a much more mature action-woman so they naturally don't feel like the same character. Hannibal himself on the other hand seems to have become more jovial since being on the run in the latter film, something Hopkins wanted to get away from in subsequent iterations.

I will admit I've only seen Silence Of The Lambs once and that was years ago, so I may be due a rewatch. On a similar note though I also just watched Red Dragon, and now that I've seen all the Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter movies I can safely say they're better than the Bryan Fuller series. Ralph Fiennes is a far superior Dolarhyde in my humble opinion.

• Sad 1

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them: The secrets of Dumbledore

The entire movie I was convinced that this was the last installment, only to find out they do want to pursue idea by making two more movies. which only makes this movie obsolete once again, just like the previous one. What actually happens? Grindelwald runs for election and loses, basically... That's it, no epic fights, no character development, just some more cute critters and boring storylines. Overall I thought it was really disappointing and unnecessary cruel at times (Grindelwald doing cruel things just because.) I do like Mads Mikkelsen, but Johnny Depp was a far better Grindelwald. Mads just plays...Mads. I was literally thinking with each scene 'what's Le Chiffre doing in Hogwarts?' I was constantly waiting for some cool scenes and epic battles, but none came. It was a political drama, more than a fantasy movie.

Edited by Kurdamoni
  • Sad 1

Snowpiercer season 3

I have to say, I don't feel the need for another season....this already was a drag at times. most episodes felt like they were just to fill up the gaps between the first episode and the finale. Without actually adding anything to the story...

Heartstopper

Maybe I'm biased, but I absolutely love the series! it's unbelievably cute, honest, beautiful and it's an ultimate feel-good thing to watch. Kit Connor and Joe Locke are truly amazing and so well cast. All of the cast members are talented and very believable as the characters they portray. The vibe of the graphic novels is clearly incorporated in the show and the atmosphere is created very well. You just have to watch it if you want a sort of 'Mamma Mia feel-good' evening. I highly recommend it for an evening of sweet, honest, loving, LGBTQ teenage romantic drama with a good ending. 

+++