Films watched in 2022

Daniel

Don't Look Up.  Mildly amusing in places, but I found it over all depressing.  An impressive cast list and an interesting take on what would happen with a world ending disaster with Trump's America, it's a long, but reasonably watchable film.  If you do watch it, it has mid/post credit scenes,

• Like 2

Another Round - 4 Danish men attempt to cope with their mid-life malaise via an unconventional method, with mixed results. Ends with the main character dancing joyously. A very good film.

Dogs Don't Wear Pants - A Finnish man attempts to cope with grief via an unconventional method, with mixed results. Ends with the main character dancing joyously. A very good film.

• Haha 1

The Matrix Ressurections was good but didn't do enough to warrant a fourth movie. I like the Matrix but not to the extent some do but this did little to improve my opinion. Not enough Christina Ricci either.

• Like 1

Black Widow - The best superhero film I've watched in ages. Ok, it's the first I've watched in ages, but I enjoyed it a lot. A good balance between the family dynamic and blowing up stuff. Also, Ray Winstone doing a Russian accent was better than I had imagined. Obviously Florence Pugh was great because Florence Pugh is great.

Birds of Prey (and the Fantablah blah blah whatever) - I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a mediocre film with a good / great central performance. I found it to be a tedious film with Margot Robbie being incredibly excruciatingly offensively annoying. It's impressive that it was able to both bore me and make me want to destroy my eyes and ears in equal measure. I only made it to the half hour mark (I tried to stick with it to see if the other characters were going to be given any kind of personality), but had to give up before I jumped out of my bedroom window. 

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2022 at 2:12 PM, Daniel said:

The Matrix Ressurections was good but didn't do enough to warrant a fourth movie. I like the Matrix but not to the extent some do but this did little to improve my opinion. Not enough Christina Ricci either.

I thought it was horrible, unnecessary and way too complicated - whenever they tried to explain the plot it was just very clunky and drawn-out (the scene when Bugs first meets Morpheus). Wachowski herself didn't even want to make the film and seems to have sabotaged it just to get back at Warner Bros for making her do it hence the cringey comedy and post-credits scene. The film looks nice but that's about it. Weaving, Fishburne and even Yeun Wo Ping (fight choreographer) are sorely missed and the kung-fu is pretty meh and mostly replaced with Neo just using 'The Force'. The cute little robots were stupid too, it was becoming Transformers at that point. Even the end titles song, a throwback to the first film's end credits, was an assault on the ears.

Edited by nicky

Scream (5) was a brilliant requel (don't ask). It had some great tributes to the original trilogy and kept its humourous side to the horror film genre (and movies in general). There are many more horrors now than in 1996 but try to be impartial if you see it. Fans shouldn't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Nightmare Alley was terrible, apart from the first 20-30 minutes (which explains why they used those scenes in most of the trailer). The remaining two hours were just boring and didn't explain the characters at all. When the movie reached the finale I was well passed caring.

220px-Ghostbusters_-_Afterlife_official_

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE (2021)

2.5/5 (No spoilers)

I was expecting this to be good from what I'd heard but was VERY disappointed. For a start it wasn't funny at all (I don't think it even tried) and it was sorely missing the fun from the first two films, even the cameos weren't funny. Even worse the characters were so dull which made the film's set-up even slower - it's about an hour into the film until the first ghost is busted. If you're gonna resurrect a franchise with a new Ghostbusters team then at least give the team-members a reason to be there - the only one that had anything to do was the daughter, everyone else was just filler including the Stranger Things kid who served absolutely no purpose except drive.

The plot tries to insert serious drama by having the 'single-mom bitter at her dad while having to deal with difficult kids' trope which does nothing but hamper the 'comedic' tone of the film - is it meant to be a comedy or not? The other sub-plots (the son's crush/his age) went nowhere as did the 'science' teacher's love for screening 80s horror videos to his classes - what was the point of this? Furthermore, it's a stupid plot because the whole reason they end-up having to battle ghosts in the first place is because they do something stupid KNOWING what the dangers are. The 3rd act is basically a retread of the first film too. This is a less-than-average film and a 'one-time watch and forget' experience. Is it worse than Paul Fieg's 2016 version? I'd say they're about the same but that at least wasn't boring or slow.

Edited by nicky

On 1/29/2022 at 11:12 PM, nicky said:

220px-Ghostbusters_-_Afterlife_official_

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE (2021)

2.5/5 (No spoilers)

I was expecting this to be good from what I'd heard but was VERY disappointed. For a start it wasn't funny at all (I don't think it even tried) and it was sorely missing the fun from the first two films, even the cameos weren't funny. Even worse the characters were so dull which made the film's set-up even slower - it's about an hour into the film until the first ghost is busted. If you're gonna resurrect a franchise with a new Ghostbusters team then at least give the team-members a reason to be there - the only one that had anything to do was the daughter, everyone else was just filler including the Stranger Things kid who served absolutely no purpose except drive.

The plot tries to insert serious drama by having the 'single-mom bitter at her dad while having to deal with difficult kids' trope which does nothing but hamper the 'comedic' tone of the film - is it meant to be a comedy or not? The other sub-plots (the son's crush/his age) went nowhere as did the 'science' teacher's love for screening 80s horror videos to his classes - what was the point of this? Furthermore, it's a stupid plot because the whole reason they end-up having to battle ghosts in the first place is because they do something stupid KNOWING what the dangers are. The 3rd act is basically a retread of the first film too. This is a less-than-average film and a 'one-time watch and forget' experience. Is it worse than Paul Fieg's 2016 version? I'd say they're about the same but that at least wasn't boring or slow.

I agree with every single word.

(I haven't seen it, obvs, I'm just trying to annoy a certain someone.)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching a lot of new movies lately- both actually new and some old ones I just never got around to. I've tried to list these from newest to oldest.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 
I Want You Back 
Sweet Girl
Don't Look Up 
There's Someone Inside Your House
Afterlife Of The Party
Yakuza Princess
Incision
Run
Ammonite
Inheritance
The Invisible Man
The Final Girls
Love Rosie
Scream 4
Gran Torino
White Chicks
Whipped
Joy House
Purple Noon

Edited by Faerie Tanith
typo
  • Like 3

220px-Don't_Look_Up_2021_film.jpg

DON'T LOOK UP (2021)

3.5/5 (No spoilers)

A very clever, political and funny satire with an all-star cast that has it's cheek firmly in place. It's the kind of film the Oscars love to nominate because of its social commentary but it won't win Best Picture because it's 'too entertaining'. But maybe Best Screenplay.

At first I thought the planet-killing meteorite plot was an allegory for Covid-19 but it is in fact an allegory for climate change. Whoops! It's also a parody (inadvertently) of typical disaster movies eg. INDEPENDENCE DAY (1996) and of course ARMAGEDDON (1998) but with a focus on how the media and government responds much like Oliver Stone's NATURAL BORN KILLERS (1995).

Script-wise what ought to be a serious drama is actually quite quirky (in a P.T. Anderson way) which is surprising because you're more used to seeing director Adam McKay (ANCHORMAN, STEP BROTHERS, THE OTHER GUYS) making something much more simple and accessible and not at all provocative or smart.

Everyone in the cast is great and it's so different (almost distracting) seeing Meryl Streep playing so dumb but I wish we saw more of Jonah Hill. Mark Rylance as the Elon Musk-type CEO seemed more like a cross between a child-like Steve Coogan and Andy Warhol. The ending is great and a refreshingly brave change from the usual disaster flicks but then again this isn't your usual disaster film at all.

Edited by nicky