This years event

Yeah I mean that's essentially what happened last time the UK eased restrictions. Few weeks of people acting like covid had magically disappeared overnight and then a huge spike in cases, and another lockdown. I'm not in any hurry to catch covid again so I'd rather err on the side of caution before I start planning for any cons.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, melliott1963 said:

I really can’t see this going ahead in July, despite what SM have said. The dates given by the government are earliest possible dates which are all subject to review depending on the current situation. The moment there is a slight relaxing of restrictions, we all know that there are stupid people who will immediately start behaving like we’re back to normal, and I can see cases rising again and the dates being pushed back.

Also, I’m guessing a lot of guests will be coming over from the States. They may not be happy coming over here at that time, and I can see lots of cancellations occurring if the event insists on going ahead in July.

Surely it would be more sensible for SM to wait until October/November time when, hopefully, things will have calmed down more? I know they are probably desperate to start earning money again, like most companies, but they have to be realistic.

I for one, don’t want to attend an event where the guests are in masks, or stuck behind glass panels and, if this is the case, I would sincerely hope that prices for autographs and photos were reduced accordingly and those of us who have already bought tickets will get partial refunds.

NOT only that, but the fact that the guests would have to pay around £1700 to stay quarantined in a hotel room when they land for ten days possibly wouldn't make them want to come over from America just to spend around fourteen days in the united kingdom just quarantining for ten, then the other three for LFCC etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, melliott1963 said:

I really can’t see this going ahead in July, despite what SM have said. The dates given by the government are earliest possible dates which are all subject to review depending on the current situation. The moment there is a slight relaxing of restrictions, we all know that there are stupid people who will immediately start behaving like we’re back to normal, and I can see cases rising again and the dates being pushed back.

Also, I’m guessing a lot of guests will be coming over from the States. They may not be happy coming over here at that time, and I can see lots of cancellations occurring if the event insists on going ahead in July.

Surely it would be more sensible for SM to wait until October/November time when, hopefully, things will have calmed down more? I know they are probably desperate to start earning money again, like most companies, but they have to be realistic.

I for one, don’t want to attend an event where the guests are in masks, or stuck behind glass panels and, if this is the case, I would sincerely hope that prices for autographs and photos were reduced accordingly and those of us who have already bought tickets will get partial refunds.

I have to agree with this. As desperate as I am for cons to start up again, I'd much rather wait until restrictions were lifted and we could have as normal a con as possible! 

• Like 2

I think a big part of the problem is it's just impossible to know what it will be like then.  Hopefully with vaccinations progressing quickly, we will see a drastic drop in cases in the next couple of months and by June time we will have a much clearer picture of how things are.

I honestly don't think it'll go ahead if distancing and everyone wearing masks is still required, mainly because it would be impossible for any large event to manage it.

I think one of the main issues will be getting the guests over.  I'm not sure if they have said anything about international travellers but it might be they won't have to quarantine if they have had the vaccination, and flight companies may require that to travel.  The biggest issue might then be whether the guests have had the injection or not, and their schedules.  Studio's are going to want to get back to normal and get on with filming as quickly as possible.  Add onto that packing in press tours and lots of guests might be very busy for the next year or so.

6 hours ago, Faerie Tanith said:

Yeah I mean that's essentially what happened last time the UK eased restrictions. Few weeks of people acting like covid had magically disappeared overnight and then a huge spike in cases, and another lockdown. I'm not in any hurry to catch covid again so I'd rather err on the side of caution before I start planning for any cons.

Glad you are better ive had it to was horrible and with a big crowed we will end up in lockdown again expecially with the new strain popping up aswell

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I think a big part of the problem is it's just impossible to know what it will be like then.  Hopefully with vaccinations progressing quickly, we will see a drastic drop in cases in the next couple of months and by June time we will have a much clearer picture of how things are.

I honestly don't think it'll go ahead if distancing and everyone wearing masks is still required, mainly because it would be impossible for any large event to manage it.

I think one of the main issues will be getting the guests over.  I'm not sure if they have said anything about international travellers but it might be they won't have to quarantine if they have had the vaccination, and flight companies may require that to travel.  The biggest issue might then be whether the guests have had the injection or not, and their schedules.  Studio's are going to want to get back to normal and get on with filming as quickly as possible.  Add onto that packing in press tours and lots of guests might be very busy for the next year or so.

They did mention a few months bk that even with people faccinated people will still have to wear masks and social distance

15 hours ago, posey1234 said:

They did mention a few months bk that even with people faccinated people will still have to wear masks and social distance

The wearing masks is easy to do, you just take them off for the shoots.  But bear in mind what was suggested months ago may not be needed now as things are progressing for the better.  I still say you can't do a show the size of LFCC with social distancing without massive compromise though and that's either in numbers of attendees and guests and ticket prices - the only practical way is more space with less people in it, which means huge increases in ticket prices and a lot less attendees.

20 hours ago, Namine said:

NOT only that, but the fact that the guests would have to pay around £1700 to stay quarantined in a hotel room when they land for ten days possibly wouldn't make them want to come over from America just to spend around fourteen days in the united kingdom just quarantining for ten, then the other three for LFCC etc.

Could end up in hotel longer, especially if they have covid before end of 10th day and charged extra if they have it on 2nd day

• Like 1

I reckon the ptizes are going to go thrpugh the roof in every con from here on out cant see many people being able to afford the prizes if they go up anymore cause plenty of people out of work where they lost there job through the pandamic me included hopefully it doesnt go that way

3 hours ago, posey1234 said:

I reckon the ptizes are going to go thrpugh the roof in every con from here on out cant see many people being able to afford the prizes if they go up anymore cause plenty of people out of work where they lost there job through the pandamic me included hopefully it doesnt go that way

I don't think the prices will go up. I think imo that there won't be as many diamond passes available as well as limiting ticket amounts since I do still believe that you're technically due to the virus pandemic supposed to have half, so say 200,000 go, you're only allowing in 100,000.

With it being at the Olympia Exhibition Center, I can't really see it being completely open i.e. both levels for guests and shops. I think it'll be one level/one size only.

2 hours ago, Namine said:

I don't think the prices will go up. I think imo that there won't be as many diamond passes available as well as limiting ticket amounts since I do still believe that you're technically due to the virus pandemic supposed to have half, so say 200,000 go, you're only allowing in 100,000.

With it being at the Olympia Exhibition Center, I can't really see it being completely open i.e. both levels for guests and shops. I think it'll be one level/one size only.

If thats the case then will still be to crowded to be honest they should leave it for this year and plan it ptoperly instead of rushing it to get people in for july the winter con would be much more better

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, posey1234 said:

If thats the case then will still be to crowded to be honest they should leave it for this year and plan it ptoperly instead of rushing it to get people in for july the winter con would be much more better

I completely agree. I think they could shelf it until next year.

11 hours ago, Namine said:

I completely agree. I think they could shelf it until next year.

It’s not quite as easy as that though. If the government say it is possible for the event to go ahead, then they will do it. If for nothing else than because of insurance purposes. Insurance companies won’t cover them if they just decide to leave it another year when the government say it can happen. Unless the dates are moved back by the government, which is very possible, then there’s a good chance this event will happen.

Bear in mind that the government have claimed at present, that ALL restrictions will be gone by the end of June. They haven’t mentioned international travel, but things like face masks and social distancing are included in that if things go to plan.

• Like 4

I know mentioning other events here is usually frowned upon, but that big one in California that happens each July has today been postponed to next year as well. So if that’s not happening until 2022 at the earliest... I don’t think LFCC is going to happen either this year. But we shall see...

On 2/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, posey1234 said:

Yeah prices shouldn't really be affected - other companies who are announcing guests for events later in the year are the same as they would have been last year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, apollofan said:

I look at the date set for all restrictions to be lifted by June as an 'aspiration' of the government rather than a target date that will be met.

I believe they have said it's the road map they are planning on, so it's how it will go if everything stays on track.  It will be adjusted as and when if previous stages of reopening everything happen as scheduled.  So no, it's not a definitive 'it WILL happen on this date whatever' but it's the info the gov have given that companies have to plan on unless they are told otherwise later on and will adjust to whatever the situation is at the time.

11 hours ago, Mayhem said:

I know mentioning other events here is usually frowned upon, but that big one in California that happens each July has today been postponed to next year as well. So if that’s not happening until 2022 at the earliest... I don’t think LFCC is going to happen either this year. But we shall see...

I don't know what the situation is like in the US at the moment as I've not read anything about it for a while, or what their vaccination plans and schedule is but it could simply be down to numbers?  The US has such a larger population than the UK, I do wonder if they have postponed as there's no way enough of the population will have been vaccinated in time for SDCC to happen safely.  Whereas as the UK licensed the drugs early, bought a good supply of them all and has set up a well run and very effective mass vaccination program, everyone should have had the first injection well before LFCC if everything stays on track.

The complicating factor for LFCC and any other UK events will be the international travel side of it - if guests can travel without quarantining (quarantining for work on a film that will take a couple of months or so is one thing, it's another for a weekend con when you might have to be back on set after) or if they haven't had their vacc yet and can't travel without having it.  

On 3/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, Raylenth said:

I believe they have said it's the road map they are planning on, so it's how it will go if everything stays on track.  It will be adjusted as and when if previous stages of reopening everything happen as scheduled.  So no, it's not a definitive 'it WILL happen on this date whatever' but it's the info the gov have given that companies have to plan on unless they are told otherwise later on and will adjust to whatever the situation is at the time.

I don't know what the situation is like in the US at the moment as I've not read anything about it for a while, or what their vaccination plans and schedule is but it could simply be down to numbers?  The US has such a larger population than the UK, I do wonder if they have postponed as there's no way enough of the population will have been vaccinated in time for SDCC to happen safely.  Whereas as the UK licensed the drugs early, bought a good supply of them all and has set up a well run and very effective mass vaccination program, everyone should have had the first injection well before LFCC if everything stays on track.

The complicating factor for LFCC and any other UK events will be the international travel side of it - if guests can travel without quarantining (quarantining for work on a film that will take a couple of months or so is one thing, it's another for a weekend con when you might have to be back on set after) or if they haven't had their vacc yet and can't travel without having it.  

Hopefully tom cruise makes a guest appearence lol

• 2 weeks later...

With news that the show is now going ahead in July I just dont see how...

1) 150k people will be allowed on public transport over the course of a long weekend to attend the show. 

2) guests from outside of the UK will be able or want to attend due whether that be for their own precautions or having to self isolate within a hotel for a period before/after the event. 

3) Vaccine roll outs will likely to be entering the final stage but for many only the first dose. 

I have desperately missed shows from both a social and income stand point and cannot wait for 'normality' to return but now people are going to be rushing for accommodation and travel arrangements based on the decision with a realistic chance the event will again be postponed or not on the scale it is currently advised for capacity, guests etc. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gamesgeneration said:

With news that the show is now going ahead in July I just dont see how...

1) 150k people will be allowed on public transport over the course of a long weekend to attend the show. 

2) guests from outside of the UK will be able or want to attend due whether that be for their own precautions or having to self isolate within a hotel for a period before/after the event. 

3) Vaccine roll outs will likely to be entering the final stage but for many only the first dose. 

I have desperately missed shows from both a social and income stand point and cannot wait for 'normality' to return but now people are going to be rushing for accommodation and travel arrangements based on the decision with a realistic chance the event will again be postponed or not on the scale it is currently advised for capacity, guests etc. 

1) Public transport has been in operation all through out the pandemic, they reduced the train service but there's photo's from the height of the pandemic with those who still had to go to work all rammed into carriages, so I don't think that will be affected or a consideration really. 

2) That is definitely a big concern - if they have to isolate for 2 weeks that probably makes it financially non viable.  Though there is a high chance they won't have to if they have had the vaccination, but that probably makes it hard to find guests who have had it, that are free to come over, want to do the show and are affordable.  Also, many attendees are based overseas and I know many are hesitant to buy tickets as they don't know if they will be allowed to travel either and don't want to buy if they then can't come over and not get their money back.

3) I agree, thought the first dose does give good coverage it is a concern.

I know it's very easy for me to say this as I'm not familiar with the intricacies of running a con and what the concerns are behind the scenes, but it does seem like it would be more sensible for the larger events to hold off for a bit.

• Like 2