TV shows watched in 2021

Raylenth

20 hours ago, TheLocalWizard said:

Have to agree! Felt very underwhelming, and found certain guest stars to be majorly underused! Rather excited by the little teaser at the end though!

Yeah, I said to Dalek that they might has well have given him a moustache to twirl he was so one dimensional.

I see I've been name-dropped. :lol:

I also watched Revolution Of The Daleks, and I actually rather enjoyed it. Far from a perfect episode, but as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best of the Chibnall era so far. 

I do agree that the human villain was weak, but then were we really expecting anything more from that character after seeing what they were like in Arachnids? 

To keep it brief, not the best episode, but it succeeded where it needed to for me to enjoy it.

• Like 3

AAAABVUdfj5eDtEdkvbz7O5qtk7DgOj7A_FWdtm7 v1.dDs2Nzc5ODQ7ajsxODY4MjsxMjAwOzIwMDA7M 

KINGDOM (season 1&2)

This Korean historical period horror series is one of the best things to ever happen to the zombie genre.

The King has secretly turned into a zombie...but The Queen and royal officials declare he is merely sick and keep him hidden and locked away from everyone. Suspecting he's being lied to, the king's illegitimate son; The Crown Prince, defies The Queen and commits treason by leaving the palace against her will in search of the truth and in doing so uncovers a plot to rule the kingdom and the beginnings of a terrible plague. 

KINGDOM is a clever blend of zombie-action and political conspiracy locked in a historical battle for the throne. What makes the show different is its period setting, superb writing, social-commentary on class and an intriguing in-depth analysis of the plague's dubious origins and on-going discoveries in the zombie's behavior; something most entries in this genre miss. Its also wonderfully shot with great sets and costumes giving a very epic feel.

There's 12 episodes over 2 seasons so far with a pretty slow start which will take some patience but the show explodes half-way into episode 2 with its first of many massive action scenes. I highly recommend it. And yes, its much better than THE WALKING DEAD.

Edited by nicky

Staged 1 & 2.  I saw 1 when it was originally shown but wanted to rewatch it in advance of 2, especially when I found out that the Netflix version had a lot more material to it.  2 was very well done and a delightful follow up, well worth a watch.

His Dark Materials 2.  It took me a while to get around to watching it but when I did I steamed through all the episodes in about a day, it's really good though now it's getting into the meat of the stories, a lot sadder than the first.  I look forward to series 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

Staged 1 & 2.  I saw 1 when it was originally shown but wanted to rewatch it in advance of 2, especially when I found out that the Netflix version had a lot more material to it.  2 was very well done and a delightful follow up, well worth a watch.

Interesting. Saw one but haven't seen two yet.

• Like 1

The Night Manager.  I missed it first time round as my machine messed up the recording and I didn't realise until after it was off Iplayer, so I was really happy to catch it again on BBC3.  I've not read any John Le Carre before so didn't have any expectations, and I really enjoyed it.  The first episode is a little slow, but that often happens when stuff is being established, but it soon picked up the pace.  The cast were all very good and it had lots of familiar faces and it was nice to see a coupe of them in main parts.  I love Hugh Laurie and he made a very good bad guy.

Some of the plot points were fairly obvious from early on but I guess that's not unexpected with this type of genre, but even with that it didn't take away from the enjoyment.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, TheLocalWizard said:

WandaVision - First two episodes are great! Very, very different to what's come before, but enjoyably so! Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany give brilliant performances, and I loved it! Super stoked for the rest of the series now!

Iam Really Looking Forward To Seeing It The Trailer Looked Great 

• Like 1

Fate: The Winx Saga

My boyfriend and I watched this yesterday and we really enjoyed it. New actors and actresses proving their worth on screen. Nice acting, good action sequences, but ofcource the budget is (not yet) high enough to make the visuals more real. We liked the story line and a second season should be cool. 

• Like 1

The Alienist series 2.  I do enjoy this series and the 2nd was as good as the first.  They don't shy away from the reality of what life was like for most people back then which makes it depressingly real, but it's a good show and worth a watch.

The Ripper (Netflix) A documentary about the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper.  Quite an interesting show and shocking, not just for the murders obviously but for the actions of the police who were seriously hampered by their prejudices and many actions they took (or didn't as it was) that probably did lead to more people dying.

Night Stalker: The Hunt For A Serial Killer (Netflix).  Another very good documentary on the hunt for another serial killer.  It was really interesting to see what the police were up against given how quickly the NS attacks took place and how varied the victims were which meant they had no victim profile to warn people against.

Both were really good and I'd definitely say to watch.