Films watched in 2021

Raylenth

On 8/18/2021 at 8:35 AM, natedammit said:

That doesn't exactly sound like an unbiased perspective.

Actually, yes, you're right. I just remembered there is a clip of private footage where he jokes to the camera about the film's director, "he can shout 'action' and 'cut' all day long but it won't make him a director." And there is also footage of a suppressed/subtle heated exchange between the two. But he doesn't address it in his new narration is what I meant,

The Current War: Not a whole lot to say about this film, it was good and an interesting watch but nothing terribly special.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot:  I wouldn't usually watch a war film as they aren't my thing but it's got Martin Freeman in it.  I've had this a while and have finally watched it and enjoyed it.  It's an interesting record of what it was like to be in Afghanistan in the early years if the war.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaos Walking.  Not the best film ever and the plot had a lot of holes in it and some of the plot points didn't make a whole lot of sense but it was OK and not as bad as I thought it would be.  Not something I'm going to be too fussed about watching again but it was OK.

Respect (the Aretha Franklin biopic) was very impressive. It certainly gave a fascinating insight into her life with stories I'd never heard. A brilliant performance from Jennifer Hudson. If you are an Aretha fan you'll certainly like this.

• 2 weeks later...

220px-DontBreathe2OfficialPoster2021.png

DON'T BREATHE 2 (2021)
3/5 (No spoilers) 

My expectations were high since producer Sam Raimi said a few years ago, "this is only the best idea for a sequel I've ever heard. No kidding." He must've been talking out of his ass or drunk. Opinions of the first film were split mostly cos viewers were expected to root for petty thieves. If that was you, you'll hate the sequel even more cos this time the villain is the hero.

The sequel takes place 8 years later so we could assume The Blind Man (Stephen Lang) has learned to regret his evil ways but for the most part he's still the same character with the same motives. If you can get past the villain-hero switch, the film is actually quite enjoyable with some great tense moments...at least for the first half BUT once the villains' motives are revealed it just gets dumber.

I found the first death unnecessary and it left me confused while there was some obvious exposition and no sign of the emergency services whatsoever. The writing is fairly clunky with ideas strung together with not much substance to back them up (there's plenty gaps that need filling). Yes, its a dumb film yet still manages to be enjoyable up to a certain point
Edited by nicky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halloween Kills (Halloween 10 or Halloween 3 depending on how you look at it) was the usual Halloween film. It did have some reasonable character development but didn't seem to stand out from the others in the franchise. Fans won't be disappointed though.

DUNE

I very much enjoyed Dune, great cinematography, beautiful music(Hans Zimmer duh) and great story line. Well done filming, mister Villeneuve. Great acting and also some surprise actors who showed up.  Let's hope they're not making 8 movies though. 

• Like 1

NO TIME TO DIE

Speaking as a true Bond fan; I loved it. It had all the wit and suave you'd expect from a Bond movie, bur also great actions sequences. I loved the personal journey Craig's Bond has taken these past years. A worthy finish of the Daniel Craig era. And once again, great music, cool tribute to 'On Her Majesties Secret Service'. I didn't see that coming. Well done again mister Zimmer. 

• Like 3

SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS

It was a cool movie, great actions sequences (as we expect from Marvel movies). Great new actors and actresses were introduced to the wider world. It felt a lot like a fantasy movie and not really a superhero movie though.  

• Like 2

220px-Halloween_Kills_poster.jpg

HALLOWEEN KILLS (2021)

3/5 (No spoilers)

There's very little difference in each of the HALLOWEEN films (except the 3rd one without Micheal) but this new sequel does have an interesting take with the addition of a lynch mob set on hunting our killer. However, the tone of the film is quite a shift from previous entries and has divided fans.

There's a lot of characters, of which some are brought back from the original but they are totally wasted apart from Anthony Micheal Hall whereas Charles Cyphers as the original's Sheriff Brackett (and Carpenter regular) is reduced to nothing but a pointless extended cameo. Jamie Lee Curtis takes a huge backseat in this film and does practically nothing - I wish the same could be said for her family in the film cos they came across as just boring and annoying.

The film seems to verge on action-horror with its glossy style of film-making; it's not very scary and seems more concerned about gore, flashy kills and making Micheal look cool (eg. Micheal vs the firemen). The story also relies VERY heavily on the events of the original film and inserts 'new' flashbacks leaving this new story in the 1978 film's shadow instead of making a fresh new plot of its own. Furthermore the back-and-forth of flashbacks to the present (in addition to all the different characters within) seems quite jarring and makes for bad editing. They even retconned the end of the first film too, probably the most sacrilegious thing a reboot-sequel could do to a CLASSIC. 

Silly things happen in the film of course; there's a questionable absence of the police, people shooting Micheal when they should just LEAVE, some dodgy exposition and the lynch mob shouting "EVIL DIES TONIGHT!" as if they're protesting at some political campaign. Its a guilty pleasure; I liked the gorey kills but didn't like the use of characters.

Edited by nicky

Dune was a fantastically made sci fi action movie. The effects and set designs were amazing and it was certainly entertaining. My only complaint was not enough character development and it did seem longer than necessary.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:25 PM, Daniel said:

Dune was a fantastically made sci fi action movie. The effects and set designs were amazing and it was certainly entertaining. My only complaint was not enough character development and it did seem longer than necessary.

I liked it very much but didn't find the length an issue.  I did however have a problem hearing what they were saying a few times, and as a lot of the colour palette is dark, when they switched to bright sun scenes, a couple of times it was a bit blinding

I've watched a number of Clint Eastwood films for the first time this year. Better late than never I suppose. So far I've downed the Dollars trilogy (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good The Bad & The Ugly), Dirty Harry, and Coogan's Bluff. Interesting to see what was basically the blueprint for a lot of cinematic tropes today.

I also finally got around to watching Halloween. I'm a fake horror fan, I know. I watched the 70s one and the 2018 one. Also watched Us, which left me shook and confused. All in all a good week for movies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spencer was a very well done movie about Princess Diana (the last 15 minutes certainly reminded me why she was my favourite royal). It was certainly not easy to watch at times but had a perfect performance from Kristen Stewart. I really hope this proves to any critics it's time to take her seriously as an actress.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife whilst I was away. Went in with high hopes and really didn't want to be disappointed. And I wasnt, it was a cracking film and i really enjoyed it. Yes it threw a lot of little nostalgic nods in there, but they wasn't over indulgent. 

• Like 2