Films watched in 2021

Raylenth

The Tomorrow War (2021 film) official theatrical poster.jpg

THE TOMORROW WAR (2021)

4/5 (No spoilers)

After a slew of s***ty straight-to-streaming movies I didn't expect much from Amazon's THE TOMORROW WAR but I was very pleasantly surprised. It's like a good old-fashioned sci-fi action film from the 90s in the vain of INDEPENDENCE DAY (1996) with a hint of TERMINATOR 2 (1991); time-travelers from the future arrive in our present to recruit soldiers to help fight a losing future war against aliens.

The action was great, the monsters were cool (the aliens are given purpose!) and the characters weren't the cliches I expected. Sure when I heard there was a father, daughter and grandfather in the story I anticipated there'd be some unnecessary/tired estranged relationship sub-plot going on (we just had that in ARMY OF THE DEAD), I mean there is...but its not as eye-rolling as we're used to (I don't think) and it doesn't get in the way.

The film has three solid acts and moves along pretty swiftly (as it should with a 2hr+ runtime) but the start of the film is a little too swift; we're barely 5 mins in before the time-travelers arrive with their HUGE announcement of an alien invasion and we're hardly given any time to get comfortable with the protagonist's introduction or the set-up of the film's universe first. BTW since when was World Cup at Xmas?!

Of course there's things that make no sense, the odd cop-out, the ending is horribly cheesy and beats from other sci-fi films are borrowed like THE THING (2011), STARSHIP TROOPERS (1997) and EDGE OF TOMORROW (2014) but the good out-weighed the bad. I know when I'm having a good time when I look at the counter and am glad to see there's still another hour to go. I look forward to the sequel and finding out more about the aliens' arrival.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

The Forever Purge was a good installment in The Purge saga. It certainly showed the events following The Purge Election Year well and did show the various different views and consequences well.

A Quiet Place Part II.jpg

A QUIET PLACE PART II (2021)

4/5 (No spoilers)

I liked the first film but it seemed to simply be an excuse to have some high-tension scenes built around people having to keep quiet while blind monsters hunted them - similar to how the VERY simple plot of JOHN WICK (2014) was also 'just an excuse' to showcase action. A QUIET PLACE PART II is more of the same; its great at tension but weak on the actual story.

This time Emily Blunt takes a bit of a back-seat allowing Cillian Murphy to be a great addition. We also learn a tiny bit more about the aliens and what has happened to civilization but overall the sequel doesn't add much - it's just literally 'the next day'.

If you watch both films back-to-back it almost feels like a TV mini-series - except there just doesn't seem to be much going on in this film's universe. It's very contained and I'm sure it could quickly be over by Part 3. Having said that this installment does verge on THE WALKING DEAD territory though and so could open up into a similar TV series (a spin-off film is in development).

It's a fun film though, probably better than the first but it's short, thin and over with very quickly with not enough plot or dialogue to breathe life into characters throughout. It needs more meat.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jungle Cruise was a good attempt at an adaptation of a Disneyland ride. It had some good effects and certainly incorporated the rider's humour, but did feel like family adventure film that had been done many times before.

Raya And The Last Dragon: Slightly disappointing, even for a fantasy film some of the storyline was stupid which detracted from it a bit.  A nice story and very pretty but ultimately a bit of a let down.

Knives Out: I really enjoyed this.  Amusing and a good story that was well done and avoided being predictable.  I'm looking forward to the next film

Edge Of Tomorrow:  Surprisingly I enjoyed this.  I was a bit apprehensive as I thought some of Cruise's recent films had been slated a bit so wasn't expecting much but this was good.

Bill And Ted Face The Music: Meh.  Not sure I really liked the ending for a couple of reasons so it's a bit of a disappointing end to the franchise.

Edited by Raylenth

20210731_191314

Apart from the fact this film has a wonderful performance by Peter Capaldi, on so many other levels it is far better than the original. It's funnier, more action packed and more gory. Definitely one of the best DC films in a long time. Top notch direction and fantastic cast. And did I mention Peter Capaldi is in it?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

20210731_191314

Apart from the fact this film has a wonderful performance by Peter Capaldi, on so many other levels it is far better than the original. It's funnier, more action packed and more gory. Definitely one of the best DC films in a long time. Top notch direction and fantastic cast. And did I mention Peter Capaldi is in it?

Is Pee Cap in it?  I didn't know that.  They need to advertise that better :D

• Haha 1

The_Suicide_Squad_(film)_poster.jpg

THE SUICIDE SQUAD (2021) 
2/5 (No spoilers)

Sorry, guys but I didn't enjoy this film at all. I wanted to like it but it must be one of the most over-hyped films I've ever seen. Whilst visually-pleasing, the overall ridiculousness and campness of the squad reminded me of MYSTERY MEN (1999). I know it was never meant to be taken seriously when you have characters like a talking shark-man (the only interesting part of the film) but even as a goofy comedy it's so underwhelming and weird.

The cast is filled with dull characters and a plethora of cameos and bit parts that go nowhere; the opening scenes and introduction of Micheal Rooker's character are especially misleading. Furthermore it felt very random with so many pointless characters that do F-all like Polka-Dot Man, Ratcatcher and King Shark. Even Harley Quinn seems to be taking a back-seat in this (apart from the middle when she goes off on her own). Meanwhile the one-eyed villain reminded me of Futurama and John Cena was like Mark Whalberg.

The problem wasn't the jokes; it wasn't embarrassingly unfunny (the over-head projector came close) but the story and characters were just dull and random while other parts were surreal and psychedelic in a Ren & Stimpy way eg. Harley vs. the guards. And the humor and violence seemed to be riding on the coat-tails of DEADPOOL (2016) just not as good.

I am absolutely STUNNED this has been lauded with so much praise, I pretty much gave up trying to follow the plot after the first act and kept looking at the timer. "They're dying to save the world?", well I was dying for the film to end. It was just as bad IMHO as David Ayer's SUICIDE SQUAD (2016).
Edited by nicky
  • Like 2

Free Guy.  I really enjoyed this.  I didn't find it laugh out loud funny or anything but it was amusing and a well made film, the attention to gaming detail with things going on in the back ground with players characters was well done and there was also a surprising cameo and related scene.

All in all a very good film.

• Like 1

220px-Val_poster.jpeg

VAL (2021)

4/5 (No spoilers)

I'm not a huge fan of Val Kilmer but I do like a lot of his work including this documentary about his life, career and illness. It's not entertaining per se (I don't think that's the purpose of a documentary) but I did find it fascinating and informative even as just a casual fan. 

What's great about this film is that it's auto-biographical and everything is coming straight from the horse's mouth so there's no question about anything being inaccurate - it feels very personal and is wonderfully written and narrated. There is also a lot of previously unseen private camcorder footage that Val has documented all of his life which gives fascinating insight into what went on during some productions. He even shows footage of himself at LFCC and tells the viewers what he thinks of such signing events.

Of course we all want to hear Val talk about his alleged "difficult behaviour" and his beefs with Joel Schumacher, John Frankenheimer etc. but he never does. Instead he chooses to tell his story from an unbiased perspective; he never says a bad word about anyone in his narration and instead just presents us with footage. Anyway being more candid about his animosity towards others publicly wouldn't win him any sympathy and just make him look child-ish.

Most importantly the film has a heart; it shows there is a human behind the movie-star persona. We learn about his family troubles, his divorce, his children and his illness and how it has all effected him and how grateful he is. This seems to be the main motivation for Val making this film. 

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, nicky said:

Instead he chooses to tell his story from an unbiased perspective; he never says a bad word about anyone and instead just presents us with footage. Anyway being more candid about his animosity towards others publicly wouldn't win him any sympathy and just make him look child-ish.

That doesn't exactly sound like an unbiased perspective.

So finally seen the new Suicide Squad. Didn't take much but it was better than the first one.

Not a great film by any shakes. And I'm going to say it was a bit meh. It was entertaining in parts, but that was about it. 

Cant fault the actors. And unpopular opinion Harley Quinn is still an annoying character 

Edited by Mfahey79
Posted to soon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

So finally seen the new Suicide Squad. Didn't take much but it was better than the first one.

Not a great film by any shakes. And I'm going to say it was a bit meh. It was entertaining in parts, but that was about it. 

Cant fault the actors. And unpopular opinion Harley Quinn is still an annoying character 

But, but, but....... Peter Capaldi is in it :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1