Official Update - 04/06/2020

9 hours ago, chewer said:

Hi, have you any more updates and details on the show please. Are things still planned to happen in November as it stands? When are the social distancing plans going to be released etc... thanks.

Hi Chewer, they will post when they have anything to add so pretty much unless they say otherwise it's still on, but they won't comment other than that.  If they have an official statement to make they will post it as soon as they can.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:00 AM, Raylenth said:

Hi Chewer, they will post when they have anything to add so pretty much unless they say otherwise it's still on, but they won't comment other than that.  If they have an official statement to make they will post it as soon as they can.

One day ago Jason Joiner posted this on facebook (btw: I wasn't the one who asked):

Q: Is November going to happen do you think?

A: we put out official statements about events once everything has been looked into and weighed up and it is then put out as a proper statement , I am not going to put out a comment with out a full statement , at this time our official statement is we will look at where things are around 2 months out from all events , that has been our policy sins all this kicked off , hope that helps

Edited by Ansett

43 minutes ago, Dancol said:

Hi

When can we expect an update about the November event please

Hi Dancol

The previous post to your's has the answer to your question via a Facebook post from Jason. 

Q: Is November going to happen do you think?

A: we put out official statements about events once everything has been looked into and weighed up and it is then put out as a proper statement , I am not going to put out a comment with out a full statement , at this time our official statement is we will look at where things are around 2 months out from all events , that has been our policy sins all this kicked off , hope that helps

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To be clear, I do not speak for anyone at Showmasters, I have no inside information, and this is purely my own educated opinion.

With that out of the way,  I think that the chances of this going ahead, at this point, are very slim. I'm not saying zero, but I would absolutely shocked if it does. If I were you, I would not be booking any travel or hotels.

• Sad 1

On 9/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, MikeDonovan said:

To be clear, I do not speak for anyone at Showmasters, I have no inside information, and this is purely my own educated opinion.

With that out of the way,  I think that the chances of this going ahead, at this point, are very slim. I'm not saying zero, but I would absolutely shocked if it does. If I were you, I would not be booking any travel or hotels.

Couldn't agree more.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:40 PM, MikeDonovan said:

I agree. I'm just waiting for the announcement to make it official.

11 hours ago, posey1234 said:

Still no news then would be nice to be updated by now im not one to moan but by whats happening now they could atleast keep everyone updated so we know where we stand

The news is that there is no news, yet. I don't think SM are stalling for any reason, they just can't announce anything until they have all their ducks in a row, legally speaking. 

2 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

That's what all the weekly sales on FB have been for, keep revenue coming in, although the photoshoots at cons gain way more money than autographs, so they will be hurting a little.

I believe from things I've read/heard in the past, way before corona was even on the horizon that they had been wanting to do the sales for ages anyway but never had the time given how much stuff they had.  At least they have the reserves to help them through and a tiny upside to the situation is that they have been able to make a good dent in the stuff they have in the warehouse

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stormtrooper71 said:

I appreciate that the guys at showmasters are extremely  busy but it would be nice for an update given we are extremely close to event now and the restrictions are changing every day for us all. Doubt will go ahead but still would be nice to have an update please . Thanks :D

I agree expecially theres certain lockdowns in certain areas now and tbh because theres ment to be 2 metres apart cant see that happening at this event its always busy 

I appreciate the amazing wishful thinking on the part of some folks, but consider this:

• Do you think enough people would come to make the event worthwhile?
  • Do you think the event would get insured?
  • What would be the optics of such an event going forward, even if it were permitted?

And most importantly:

• How many of the guests do you seriously think would fly over for this event?

I can understand, for a lot of reasons, why SM haven't posted an update. But honestly, I don't think anyone's in any doubt about what's going to happen here. If I were you I'd call the hotel and make sure your booking is refundable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeDonovan said:

I appreciate the amazing wishful thinking on the part of some folks, but consider this:

• Do you think enough people would come to make the event worthwhile?
  • Do you think the event would get insured?
  • What would be the optics of such an event going forward, even if it were permitted?

And most importantly:

• How many of the guests do you seriously think would fly over for this event?

I can understand, for a lot of reasons, why SM haven't posted an update. But honestly, I don't think anyone's in any doubt about what's going to happen here. If I were you I'd call the hotel and make sure your booking is refundable.

^ This

Thing is, is that not many people are able to get out of their homes due to this new rules that are going on starting tomorrow (i.e. pubs and salons are to be permenantly closed, resturants are staying open), and they're not allowed to go anywhere unless it's a specific reason i.e. hospital appointment, dentist appointment, working away from home etc.

I think honestly you are correct, nobody from the US are gonna be willing to spend two weeks self isolating and then come to the comic con. Especially with what's going on over in America with the election (Trump-Pence vs Biden-Harris) and the whole "black lives matter" and crap going on still with protests. 

Edit: Also, was told by my friend that her flight is gonna be cancelled tomorrow because of the new restriction rules put in place.

Edited by Namine
forgot to add in one minor thing

I think the longer we go without it being cancelled is going to make people a lot more hesitant about booking in the future. 

if you were told you had to self isolate the week before the event are you supposed to just write the costs off?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TerraHawk said:

I think the longer we go without it being cancelled is going to make people a lot more hesitant about booking in the future. 

if you were told you had to self isolate the week before the event are you supposed to just write the costs off?  

It definatly is not right with no word of whats going on expecially all the over seas people who cant make it here now and up north is on lock down london prob will be next would be nice to know where we all stand considering the amount of money we have all spent aswell 

• DavidB locked and unpinned this topic