Official Update - 04/06/2020

3 hours ago, GreenArrow2046 said:

Sadly it was inevitable. I don’t think I will be attending a comic con for quite a while to be honest, although we don’t know what procedures will be put in place yet I don’t really want to pay a fortune just to keep a massive gap between me and the guest, that wouldn’t make for a great memory. It’s understandable but I think I will probably wait until things go back to normal 

Exactly this... It's great that it has been rescheduled, but a lot is still uncertain. With you (and me!), a lot of people don't want a huge gap between the guest and themselves during a photoshoot. That won't make a great memory indeed.

I am sure SM is working hard on the procedures and hopefully it will work out for the best. Can anyone tell when this will be more clear?

Thank you for the update SM and hopefully we will more about the show soon ^_^

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Im sure SM is working hard on the procedures and hopefully it will work out for the best. Can anyone tell when this will be more clear?

Thank you for the update SM and hopefully we will more about the show soon ^_^

No particular date. Just as soon as it's all sorted. As you can imagine, there's a lot of logistics and moving parts to this situation. We want everything to be as clear as possible in line with guidance and to make the experience as comfortable as possible for everyone.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DavidB said:

No particular date. Just as soon as it's all sorted. As you can imagine, there's a lot of logistics and moving parts to this situation. We want everything to be as clear as possible in line with guidance and to make the experience as comfortable as possible for everyone.

Thank you David.

Yes, I can imagine. And I know SM will update us as soon as they are able to.

Thank you for the update SM. Not unexpected in the current situation. It's obviously unusual times. You have provided an open and honest account of where you are now and potential recovery plans for the future. We can only hope that the situation is vastly improved by November. It's great that the majority of guests are confident to reschedule also. Look forward to many more announcements. Onwards and upwards in the safest possible way.

3 minutes ago, Nick Rocks said:

Can I use my LFCC Summer 3 day pass for the November con as well as the few photoshoots I bought?.

All summer tickets are being transferred over and that includes entry

• Like 1

Probably for the best and thank you for letting us know well in advance. You could have easily waited and hoped it would be ok but being transparent to the community was the best thing to do in my opinion, so thank you. 

I echo what's been mentioned already in this thread though, unfortunately with social distancing I guess meeting the guests will be a bit less personal and I'll be giving photo ops a definite miss this year. Hopefully the autograph sessions aren't impacted too much so if I'm able to travel back from uni for the weekend then I'll still try and go. At the moment there's only really two guests I desperately want to meet so I will keep an eye out for any further announcements. 

If all goes ahead I reckon queueing will be a nightmare with gaps between people needed! 

Onwards and upwards eh! Hope everyone's safe and staying well!

17 hours ago, Victoria said:

I have to say I think that is a very intelligent, honest and thoughtful response from Showmasters given the circumstances, I personally think it has been very well thought out, and the bigger picture is this benefits EVERYBODY. (I know some are not happy about a non refund for 14 month but the bigger picture is essentially that money is tied up, Showmasters would loose a ridiculous amount of money if they started issuing refunds to the detriment of their reputation and it would set them back about 3 years as a business, that would also mean for the next few years smaller (cheaper) guests)

I was essentially going to attend for Henry Thomas so it looks like I may give Nov 2020 a miss and look to 2021

Unless of course one of the 'biggger' (subjective!) guests for November appeals to me..

Much respect to Jason and the team.

Hope to see you in 2021.

Very generous feedback!

Though I’m not sure how keeping people’s hard earned money and refusing them the immediate refund to which they are morally and legally entitled is “honest and thoughtful”

Showmasters may lose money refunding people, but like you say, they are a “business”, not a charity.

EVERYBODY does not benefit from a business charging admission to an event that does not take place, and then keeping the money....

22 minutes ago, natedammit said:

The event is taking place, just on different dates. 

I can see this from both sides and this can be deleted if not allowed

The Novmeber dates where already announnoced in March  of this year, a postponed event would be if new dates where given and the event was a seperate from any advertised events published by SM themselves. Therefore making it a cancelled event not postponed. Dont get me wrong brilliant I like the idea that all the guests have merged in to the Novmeber dates and hopefully this is the event that will make up for the rest of the year nopt being so great

The technical part of this is now that your tickets have been roled over, brilliant for those who can attend or would perfer to hold of to next year, as stated before myself I cant plan anything for next year an looking at dates I am already on holiday. With the novmeber one 3 days isnt something I am able to do I have looked in to it and at the moment It may be possible to do one day at a push there fore I would waste an lose out on a three day entry

Mayb SM could reconsider maybe either stating that the credit notes could be applied for any showmasters events around the country not just the two covered for those who wish to attend any other event with mayb an unlimited time scale on to use this for many the issues will be traveling in and out from the Uk some countries may not be open by then. Also those who can not attend should be given the chance to decide themselves to role over or have that refund

I can see the positives that many of these guest can make the November dates this is great I wish I could say for certain that I could go theres so many I would want to meet and I love the event it self always feels like home to me

However I can see why after so many cons falling that people are a little bit scared of what this means and what could happen in a stressful time where people do not have much money and being made redunadant from there jobs levels of anger are high, and sadly people dont always think or see clearly in time of stress and uncertainty 

21 minutes ago, SGfan said:

If social distancing is still in force, how can people possibly get autographs or photo shoots (let alone over-the-table shots)?

Personally I think if things in November are still as they are now, LFCC November will also be cancelled/postponed. Everyone's just hoping that by then the pandemic will have petered out or there'll be a vaccine.

1 hour ago, SGfan said:

If social distancing is still in force, how can people possibly get autographs or photo shoots (let alone over-the-table shots)?

Selfie's will probably be out whatever to be honest, even if we aren't required to keep 2 meters apart by then selfies can't be done without getting close to the guest/leaning over tables so firstly the guests probably won't want that kind of close contact and secondly it possibly won't work anyway with whatever measures they put in place.

Auto's in my opinion are easy, you just do what shops are doing and have a perspex screen between the guests and us with a slot at the bottom to pass your stuff through.  If the guests are wearing gloves that solves the issue of them touching hundreds of personal items and the screens help protect from breath droplets.  The photo's are a bit harder but doable though it'll mean no touching still.  The main issue as I see it is us, the attendees and managing the queue's.

However they said in the post that they will be updating on what procedures they are looking to put in place in the coming weeks, and they replied to a comment on Facebook to say they are doing some test photo's in a few weeks time to see if their idea works, so at the moment it's best to wait and see what they say.  If people aren't confident of what they put in place then, they can decide if they still want to attend or not.

I would have thought the photo Op problem is fairly simple too. A very thin, barely perceptible sheet of perspex perpendicular to the camera separating you from the guest. Yes its not the same as before and there'd be no hugging etc but you could then be stood right next to them and there would be no issue. Not ideal certainly but a more than adequate compromise I'd have thought. Certainly better than paying full price to have a photo stood 2m apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ravogd said:

I would have thought the photo Op problem is fairly simple too. A very thin, barely perceptible sheet of perspex perpendicular to the camera separating you from the guest. Yes its not the same as before and there'd be no hugging etc but you could then be stood right next to them and there would be no issue. Not ideal certainly but a more than adequate compromise I'd have thought. Certainly better than paying full price to have a photo stood 2m apart.

That was my thought as well.

1 hour ago, Ravogd said:

That is one solution to it, but I still think I’ll just wait until things go back to normal. it’s a fair solution and if people would be happy with that then I hope they enjoy the event but I don’t see myself attending an event for quite a while. which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I guess I will just have a lot of money saved up for a future event 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, natedammit said:

I think face masks should be mandatory. Nothing to do with the virus, just so there's less chance of any of you people recognising me and trying to talk to me.

I've been trying to think of cosplays that involve a full hazmat suits. Lol! 

1 hour ago, andyfilm_1 said:

Thanks for the update. Sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know if they’ll be using the whole building as last year or only part of it as mentioned if it was going ahead in July? Thanks

Nothing has been confirmed, but they initially said Winter would be bigger than it usually would be anyway so they probably may have needed more halls, and as it's now essentially Summer but in November I'd not be surprised if they take the whole venue again (Especially to help with spreading us out).  Of course that's just me guessing, until we get the floor plan we never actually know for certain, even with Summer

• Thanks 1

• DavidB locked and unpinned this topic