Latest Update - 28th March 2020

5 hours ago, Raylenth said:

It's down to insurances and venue issues.  They can't just cancel or warn people that there's X% chance of it not going ahead as at this point factors are still unknown.

I know absolutely nothing about running events, but I do have a holiday booked for mid-May, which is clearly not going to happen. However, if I were to just cancel now, I wouldn't automatically get a refund, as it would count as me just not wanting to go (as the Foreign Office advice not to travel is 'indefinitely' so could in theory end before then).

3 hours ago, natedammit said:

I know absolutely nothing about running events, but I do have a holiday booked for mid-May, which is clearly not going to happen. However, if I were to just cancel now, I wouldn't automatically get a refund, as it would count as me just not wanting to go (as the Foreign Office advice not to travel is 'indefinitely' so could in theory end before then).

Exactly, unless either Olympia cancel it (or they come to an agreement) or it's based on government advice clearly covering that period, if they cancel now it'll be deemed as SM cancelling and they will probably incur huge cancellation fees.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CelticRob said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52389285

If there is talk of social restrictions lasting this year, then there is little chance of big cons going ahead. How can you social distance at large scale events like LFCC? Impossible.

Sadly, I think Large Cons getting back to normal this year seems increasingly unlikely.

I agree, I've been saying it all along. The virus doesn't just go away. There is one thing that stops this, vaccine or cure. Always has been. Large gatherings of people are just NOT going to happen for a very, very long time. 

Gutted about the potential cancelling of this years cons, but it’s for the best, the health of us and everyone is paramount. Let’s pray at least it still goes ahead!

on a slightly more unrelated note, if this summer’s event does go ahead as planned, I think I’ll need to invest in some thing to store my autographs as my growing collection will need a bigger home than my current thin folder. I’m ideally looking for an anti acidic plastic sleeve album of some kind, similar to the ones the Autograph vendors use at their stalls at the event. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank ya kindly 

Edited by bazza96

5 hours ago, bazza96 said:

Gutted about the potential cancelling of this years cons, but it’s for the best, the health of us and everyone is paramount. Let’s pray at least it still goes ahead!

on a slightly more unrelated note, if this summer’s event does go ahead as planned, I think I’ll need to invest in some thing to store my autographs as my growing collection will need a bigger home than my current thin folder. I’m ideally looking for an anti acidic plastic sleeve album of some kind, similar to the ones the Autograph vendors use at their stalls at the event. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank ya kindly 

Tons are acid free that you can easily get, but the usual ones that people recommend vary in price range.  Arrowfile are always recommended, Ultrapro pages are very good, but on the downside you have to have specific folders for as you can't stick them in a standard ring binder, or if you want to shell out there's Conservation By Design who sell archive quality stuff.  It's a bit more expensive but if you really want quality pages and boxes/binders it might be worth investing https://www.cxdinternational.com/home (if you do searches for 'ring' and 'pages' it'll bring up the right stuff.

London Graphic Centre also sell archive quality stuff inc pages.  I bought an A3 one of these for stuff that's larger than 8x10's.  Some of the range is chlorine free as well https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/seawhite-archival-charcoal-black-slim-box

Edited by Raylenth

12 hours ago, bazza96 said:

Itoya binders, either photo album or Profolio, I use them for my original comic art and all the top autograph collectors I know use them for archival storage of their 10x8 or larger. Available in many sizes, although there’s a smaller range you can buy in the U.K.

13 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Tons are acid free that you can easily get, but the usual ones that people recommend vary in price range.  Arrowfile are always recommended, Ultrapro pages are very good, but on the downside you have to have specific folders for as you can't stick them in a standard ring binder, or if you want to shell out there's Conservation By Design who sell archive quality stuff.  It's a bit more expensive but if you really want quality pages and boxes/binders it might be worth investing https://www.cxdinternational.com/home (if you do searches for 'ring' and 'pages' it'll bring up the right stuff.

London Graphic Centre also sell archive quality stuff inc pages.  I bought an A3 one of these for stuff that's larger than 8x10's.  Some of the range is chlorine free as well https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/seawhite-archival-charcoal-black-slim-box

6 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Itoya binders, either photo album or Profolio, I use them for my original comic art and all the top autograph collectors I know use them for archival storage of their 10x8 or larger. Available in many sizes, although there’s a smaller range you can buy in the U.K.

Brilliant, thank you so much for the recommendations ( I also thank you on behalf of my auto collection too who are desperately in need of a proper home.) I'll check out your recommended products :coolthumb::coolthumb:

Edited by bazza96
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:30 PM, Raylenth said:

Exactly, unless either Olympia cancel it (or they come to an agreement) or it's based on government advice clearly covering that period, if they cancel now it'll be deemed as SM cancelling and they will probably incur huge cancellation fees.

This is precisely correct. I'd suggest SM are in a difficult position here, as is any other company who runs an event in the near future. 

On 4/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, Ravogd said:

LFCC is no longer being mentioned on the Olympia website. Plenty of other events for July and August still listed but LFCC is gone. Not sure if it's temporary or what it means.

That’s strange maybe we will here about it in a few days I think we all know it’s going to get postponed at this point 

1 hour ago, CrazyHorses said:

The longer they delay cancelling, the more they earn on interests in bank.

That has nothing to do with it.  I will say it again, they and almost every other event organiser cannot cancel without incurring financial penalties if it's not government mandated if there is a cancellation penalty clause in the contract with venue/guests.

Whilst each organiser is unique in their agreements with venues for example I'd be surprised if a venue like Olympia doesn't have something like that in place,  Also to give you an example, an other organiser, with an event far smaller than LFCC (maybe 1000 people at the most) was threatened with a penalty of £20,000 when they tried to postpone before we officially had to lock down.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, sammyromie said:

I've already said goodbye to LFCC in the summer and I'm just waiting for SM to be able to cancel it. Hopefully the guests  (and us!) will be able to come in November. 

Hopefully they can give all that option if they cancel this one 

Like most companies LFCC will be waiting on government guidelines before being able to confirm or deny what is happening will Julys event. Unfortuanely people who are traveling around the world and country there is physically nothing LFCC can do until this point. As many have pointed out there will be guest cancellation and venue cancellation fees if they choose to stop it now. they will be unable to claim any money back if they themselves choose to cancel the event (if this happens think about it LFCC loses money in the long run means any events in the future may cost more to recover any money they have lost and we dont want any price increase)

With the decision of SDCC im guesisng as the event is a week long 24 a day comic con that has millions of people from over the world coming to it that the USA governemnt has decided this is deemed as a public health risk but then who is to say in a few weeks time things could of been different

Is is stressful for some yes, at this point there is absoluelty no information showmasters can give until government have decided what to do and if we go by the media (which Isuggest maybe not as government and the media lie) there is a vaccine being rolled out before the summer. Showmasters, the news and the government and karen on facebook who knows someone who knows someone can not predict the future.

As anyone else who has invested money in it I would like the con to go ahead even if I had to wear a face musk and be sprayed down with disinfectant (hopefully by a hot guy wearing nothing but his boxers sorry i digress) but it is just a waiting game

If it doesnt happen I hope to go to a future event and catch the guests I wanted at summer :rolleyes:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wrong Name said:

Good 'ole Karen on Facebook. I get all my news from her.

karen never went to school and spends all her time on social media she also apparently has a PHD in diseae control :lol: (disclosure: nothing against anyone named Karen ;))

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:08 AM, Raylenth said:

Thanks for the reminder. I keep forgetting to order the archive stuff, too easily distracted....:mellow:

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, Ravogd said:

LFCC is no longer being mentioned on the Olympia website. Plenty of other events for July and August still listed but LFCC is gone. Not sure if it's temporary or what it means.

I noticed that too... :(

• DavidB locked and unpinned this topic