Doctor Who "The timeless Children" Episode Discussion - possible spoilers!!

Queen_Sindel

31 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

I feel a re-watch coming on! Chibnall did say in an interview this episode would have more questions than answers. :lol:

I'm getting that feeling too, was going to binge watch a different series but I think I may have to rewatch doctor who along with a notebook and pen so that I don't loose any thoughts.

9 hours ago, Raylenth said:

I did like the design of the Time Lord Cybermen but ultimately it was stupid. The cybermen are a race of emotionless cyborgs, they aren't going to suddenly say 'hey how about we make our new armour fancy!  I hear helmet swirls are in this season'

Time Lord Cyberman - Doctor Who

At least they will have no problems picking up Radio 4.

I would say this was a flourish by the Master. He does like to dress for the occasion.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wjbleming said:

At the moment I’m unsure about the retcon. It changes everything about the Doc and is a massive risk to take. 

After what we have seen from Chibnall so far I personally think he bit off way more than he can chew. I would have been skeptical had Davies or Moff tried. But Chibnall… I hope for the show's sake I am wrong.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Namine said:

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chibs say that the Peter Cushing Doctor Who is canon now

Also Rowan Atkinson, Richard E Grant,  Jim Broadbent,  Hugh Grant and Joanna Lumley. They are all definitely canon.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

Also Rowan Atkinson, Richard E Grant,  Jim Broadbent,  Hugh Grant and Joanna Lumley. They are all definitely canon.

You're forgetting all the cosplayers as well.  They are cannon now.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

Final thought. Personally think The Timeless Child could of worked better (and been less controversial) if it was revealed to be The Master rather than The Doctor. 

Tbf I thought it was going to be the Master in the moments before he said it was The Doctor, so it could’ve worked better, I agree.

I really, really wanted to like this episode. It had all the ingredients to make it a classic, The Doctor vs The Master! The Cyberman hunting down the companions! Gallifrey! Time Lords! A hitherto unknown plot twist a la The War Doctor! And then...we got that. A total disregard for canon and all that has come before, with so many plot holes created. Why did the Doctor need more regenerations in The Time of the Doctor? Why, if the Master says he remembers The Doctor choosing the name The Doctor before he ran away (which we knew was Hartnell's first incarnation) does pre-Hartnell Jo Martin call herself The Doctor? So many questions!

The positives, although there were no many, were worth the rest of it. Sacha Dhawan (who, for anyone undecided about meeting him this summer, is the lovelies man around) makes a perfect Master. He's got the unpredictably of Missy, with the flair of Delgado and Simm. My personal head cannon is that he's pre-Missy, post-Saxon, and he strikes a perfect balance between the two of them. Bradley Walsh is, as ever, wonderful as Graham. He's proven he's more than capable of holding his own when it comes to drama, and if today's rumour proves true, he'll be sorely missed. Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill were good, but underused, as seems par for the course now. Jo Martin really was a wonder, and I hope we see her again, even if she didn't turn out to be number 14, which I had hoped.

I do wonder how much longer Chibnall has left in charge, and indeed how much longer Whittaker will stay. If she decides to follow Tennant, Smith and Capaldi and do three series before moving on, can we start the petition now for Hayley Atwell or Evanna Lynch?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TheLocalWizard said:

If she decides to follow Tennant, Smith and Capaldi and do three series before moving on, can we start the petition now for Hayley Atwell or Evanna Lynch?

Hayley Atwell was who I was always rooting for when it became apparent that they were casting a female Doctor, I think she would be awesome! It’s a shame she doesn’t seem too keen on the role anymore. 

10 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I think I'd prefer an older woman to play the next Doctor, someone with an air of authority but still with that soft side, someone like Dawn French or Miriam Margoyles comes to my mind. Hayley Atwell would be awesome though. 

Miriam would have been phenomenal! There have been rumours for a few years that Helen Mirren had been approached, but had always turned it down, although she was approached in 2009 for The Waters of Mars, back when the original plan had been to have a Russian scientist take the companion role, which eventually went to Lindsay Duncan.

Dawn French had actually been considered twice, once when Colin Baker left (alongside Frances de la Tour and Joanna Lumley) and then again for the reboot. If we're looking for an older actress, the ones that come to mind for me are Emma Thompson, Tilda Swinton, or, my personal choice, Noma Dumezweni

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bumper8 said:

As someone who has been a viewer since 1974 my heart sank watching...that.

Doctor Who is just terrible now.

A rewatch has certainly changed my opinion. Although I wouldn't criticise any performance from the actors I am not happy with the way the show is going. 

So many Whovian friends are not going to watch any more. 

Not even sure any storyline could undo the damage. But who knows.....

• Like 2

It's always possible, of course, that The Master lied, or has been misinformed as all we really have is The Master's word and pieces being put together by The Doctor. There was nothing foolproof that showed a regeneration into Harnell's Doctor 100%. It could be revealed in the next episode that it was someone else.

But the question would still linger over Dr Ruth, but this could very well be answered as well, as I recall hearing that The Timless Child act is going to be a multi season arc and not confined to 1.

(Gets ready for a blasting from everyone else. :lol:)

• Like 1