Doctor Who "The timeless Children" Episode Discussion - possible spoilers!!

Queen_Sindel

Thank you QS!!! ^_^

In my opinion, it sucked, it was obvious who the "timeless child" was and the fact that it's now messed up the doctors timeline more by saying she's had three or more regeneration cycles, is bull.

• Like 3

Just now, Mfahey79 said:

I'm disappointed that they bring John Barrowman back for a 10 minute cameo early in the season, only to not give him and Jodie a scene together. Maybe they're saving it for the christmas special

I hated the fact that after revealing who the "Ruth" character is, that they limit her to a one minute cameo in this episode.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Namine said:

In my opinion, it sucked, it was obvious who the "timeless child" was and the fact that it's now messed up the doctors timeline more by saying she's had three or more regeneration cycles, is bull.

I agree completely. 

One thing that annoyed me was the use of the Morbius Doctors in that montage. I guess I can call them Morbius Doctors now that this montage confirms that they were previous regenerations of The Doctor. The issue that raises for me, is that it completely changes how I saw that scene play out in the original episode. From how I interpreted that mental match between The Doctor and Morbius, we saw all 4 Doctors up to that point, and it was clearly hurting The Doctor, but he then turns it around and Morbius starts to struggle. I saw this as The Doctor's mind overpowering Morbius. I always thought that was showing the previous lives of Morbius, hence why he gets seriously hurt once we have seen all of them. If those faces were still The Doctor's, why was Morbius more seriously affected than The Doctor?

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mfahey79 said:

I'm disappointed that they bring John Barrowman back for a 10 minute cameo early in the season, only to not give him and Jodie a scene together. Maybe they're saving it for the christmas special

I agree. In my opinion, I think Chibnall has been pandering to fans - particularly older NewWho fans - a lot in recent episodes. Don’t get me wrong, I for one was ecstatic by Jack’s return but I personally get the impression that Chibnall believes he can throw in a reference to an older character or villain (e.g. the Autons and Silurians) and that automatically makes an episode good because fans have been asking for revisits or references to old companions and some of the more underrated villains. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, scoopsahoy said:

I agree. In my opinion, I think Chibnall has been pandering to fans - particularly older NewWho fans - a lot in recent episodes. Don’t get me wrong, I for one was ecstatic by Jack’s return but I personally get the impression that Chibnall believes he can throw in a reference to an older character or villain (e.g. the Autons and Silurians) and that automatically makes an episode good because fans have been asking for revisits or references to old companions and some of the more underrated villains. 

I feel like there's a fine line between pandering to fans and bringing something back in a way which is still interesting, and Chibnall did both in this series. Jack's return definitely felt like pandering to an audience who had been begging for him to come back for years, and his miniscule role proves that. In the long run, his return made very little impact, so what was the point? One return I did like was seeing The Eternals in Can You Hear Me?, which was their first proper appearance since Enlightenment if I'm not mistaken. Chibnall has managed to show us both how to use fan service effectively, and how it can be used poorly.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

A definite positive with this episode  - at least Chibnall didn't hit you in the face with a brick with agenda written all over it. :lol:

No, he dropped a whole rack of bricks onto me saying "die canon die." :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

When Dr Ruth was introduced you just knew Chibnall was going to blow canon out of the water. The only question was to what extent. 

I love Sacha Dhawan but cannot warm to his version of The Master. It doesn't make sense and destroys Missy's ending. 

By all means bring back previous characters but only to serve a purpose other than fan service. 

As much as I mostly enjoyed the finale (rated against previous Chibnall efforts) it is difficult to see where they go from here. Has the damage been done? You pee off Whovians at your peril. 

I prefer Davies or Moffat. 

Jodie has definitely improved this series but agree she needs stronger material to really shine. 

• Like 3

I'm on the opposite side there, regarding Sacha. I'm absolutely loving his Master, although admittedly when you think about how he fits after Missy it doesn't really work.

Jodie is currently my least favourite Doctor, period. I really want to like her, but Chibnall has absolutely let her down. 

I do find it interesting how series 8, 10 and 12 have all had finales which involve a team up of the Master and the Cybermen. On another note, did anyone else think the Time Lord Cybermen looked really silly, with their headpieces and capes? :lol:

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I feel like there's a fine line between pandering to fans and bringing something back in a way which is still interesting, and Chibnall did both in this series. Jack's return definitely felt like pandering to an audience who had been begging for him to come back for years, and his miniscule role proves that. In the long run, his return made very little impact, so what was the point? One return I did like was seeing The Eternals in Can You Hear Me?, which was their first proper appearance since Enlightenment if I'm not mistaken. Chibnall has managed to show us both how to use fan service effectively, and how it can be used poorly.

While I was someone who had always hoped he’d make a return again, it definitely felt as if he was wedged into the episode with no actual context behind his appearance. I think his return should have been saved for a future episode where he could be given more of an impactful role because it felt a tad wasted for the sake of giving in to fan demands.

I very much agree with you though. As much as I criticise the negative side of Chibnall’s fan service, he has managed to bring back certain things but in a way that is interesting and relevant to the story, and I do like the way that he has introduced some aspects from Classic Who into the series. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

On another note, did anyone else think the Time Lord Cybermen looked really silly, with their headpieces and capes? :lol:

And you beat me to it. :lol:

For the love of all that's holy I am perfectly capable of remembering they are Time Lord Cybermen. 

• Like 3

I also agree with everyone’s thoughts on Jodie (and I’m glad I’m not alone with it). I want to like her but her material for the most part is dyer. I have friends and family who absolutely love Thirteen and have done from her first episode but for me she’s unfortunately my least favourite Doctor at the moment. As I mentioned in the other thread, I do have to admit that I’ve warmed to her more this season and I do think she’s trying her best but she - along with the rest of the cast - need better material to work with. As it goes, the only character I’ve actually cared for during Thirteen’s era so far is Graham. 

Edited by scoopsahoy
  • Like 4

Oo shiny new thread for me to play with! 

So basically now we know the Doctor is a lot older then what she thinks she is, she has no idea who her real parents are and we don’t know what dimension she came from!

Also what I want to know is, when the Doctor used her memories to implode the Matrix you can see Jack from Fugitive of the Judoon, but how is it possible for that to be in her mind when she hasn’t seen Jack yet!?

Also I think Jack is going to be the one to bust the Doctor out of jail in the special, he said he would be there when she needs him!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

And you beat me to it. :lol:

For the love of all that's holy I am perfectly capable of remembering they are Time Lord Cybermen. 

What makes it terrible is the fact that The Master has forgotten about the twelve regeneration limit...so he's pretty much screwed had his plan worked with creating new Time Lord Cybermen!

• Like 4

Just now, R4wly97 said:

I have another question is the Doctor immortal now? There’s a question as to why the Time Lords gave the Doctor a new set of regenerations in Time of the Doctor if she doesn’t actually need them?

Maybe her species from that dimension always had a limit on their lives, and the Time Lords discovered this before The Doctor reached her final life in her first cycle? So they could then work a way around that limit and allow The Doctor to live longer? This is pure speculation on my part because there's no real answer annoyingly. I want to know what she actually is, where she came from, etc.

• Like 3