How do you plan your time at the conventions?

Beth

I was wondering how people decide whether to buy just an autograph or just a photo at the photoshoot or both?. And do you plan what you are going to say to the guests before you meet them?.And how do you decide which days you will get the autographs and photographs on ?.  Also, do you think it helps to tell the guests or anyone that works at the convention that you have anxiety or a disability?. I have anxiety and Asperger's Syndrome.

Edited by Beth

Well it's not deciding really but working out what means more to you.  Many people prefer photo's because it's visual proof that they met the guest and they love that they can look at the photo and remember the moment.  Others don't like photo's as much and prefer to get autographs as you can have a slightly longer interaction with the guest.  It really is just about which you prefer.

Personally I love getting autographs especially if I'm doing a cast multi signed item as I can look at my posters, have them framed and put up and I think they look awesome.  I do get photo's but usually it has to be with people I'm really hyped about or it's related to my absolute favourite show/film as otherwise they don't mean a lot to me.

I don't talk to the guests much as I'm not a great conversationalist and I'm not as into film as many people who attend these events are, so I can't wax lyrical with them about insightful stuff on their works.  But you don't need to really, with the bigger names you probably won't get time to do that anyway.  So I just usually say something like I'm glad they came ect, or something might rarely strike me that leads to a conversation - I met Zach Quinto at LFCC 2019 and got him on a Star Trek poster but actually told him I loved him in Hannibal so we had a brief chat about that which was nice.

Deciding days is hard to discuss because it depends on too many factors - which days you can go, which days the guests are there, how many you want to meet and what else you want to do.  If the guests you want are there Friday, that's a good day because it's the quietest of the 3 days so can be a little calmer, but if the guests you want are only there 1 day you have to see them that day.  If you are looking for advice on how to do the event again it's hard because it depends on what you want, but a good way to start might be to go on a Friday and get a feel for it, how it all works, maybe see a couple of guests and you can see what you prefer between the auto's and the photo's.  Then if you find you like it and want to do more you can try Saturday and/or Sunday.  Saturday is the busiest day though and at LFCC it''s very busy.

I'd not advise telling the guests about disabilities unless it's relevant to the conversation as it can put them under undue pressure, but if the situation requires it then do.  If you are feeling really anxious and having trouble coping it would be fine to say that you have anxiety and to give you a minute or whatever you need.  Also speak to the crew if you need help on the day, if you need a quiet place and it's fine to let them know why as they will understand then.  Showmasters do have an Access pass for people who need extra help that might be worth looking into and applying for if you feel it would help you and you qualify.  Here's the Access info for Spring, but it does the same thing at the other events as well https://www.londoncomicconspring.com/index.php/accessibility

• Like 1

Personally? I plan meticulously beforehand. Then the day comes and I just end up winging it. 

In terms of deciding between an autograph and a photo, I'd say consider how badly you want to 'meet' the guest. If you're after a photograph, the photo op is best because that's a guaranteed picture and even if you don't get to have a chat, you still get to say you've met the guest. However if you're after more of a chat (which you can never guarantee depending on the popularity of the guest), an autograph is better as you have more chance for small talk, maybe a hug or a handshake, and possibly a free selfie. There are too many variables so this wouldn't apply to everybody. But usually I weigh up how badly I want to meet somebody. Sometimes there are guests that I impulsively decide to meet on the day and get their autographs because (for lack of a better way to word this) they're not worth the hassle of getting a last minute photo op for BUT if I can get a spur of the moment autograph, I will.

As for the disabilities I agree with Raylenth, unless it's actually relevant I wouldn't say anything. The guests probably have no reason to be told, but if you feel you need assistance then there's usually a member of staff somewhere in the vicinity who can help and they may need to know if you're struggling with something. 

• 4 weeks later...

I usually set up my plans, costs and times on my Notes app.

I aim to get the autographs and/or photoshoots as early as possible for guests attending more than 1 day, and have some other photoshoots to purchase on the day as backups in case the guest is No Photos.

• 4 months later...

I like to have everything planned, so I will make sure I'm organised before I go. Photographs or autographs? It depends. There are things I have to consider before I make my decision. I'm shy, so I like photographs. Incredibly shy. That way, I don't get nervous when trying to start a conversation. I don't mind how long I get to spend with them (I'm just grateful to be there), so photographs work well for me. Whenever I look at my photograph with that celebrity, it always reminds me of that moment. I like autographs as well, though. It's nice to have a little conversation with them. If I know they will be popular, and getting their autograph might be difficult, I will have a photograph. I like to plan my photographs and make a table, and print it out. That way, I know where it's being held, and the time of them. I always plan what I'm going to say to a guest. It makes me a little less nervous. I don't usually say if I'm shy, or nervous. The guests have been able to sense that. They have been really understanding. Of course, like Raylenth said, if you need to, then do. Usually, I just go for the one day (Saturday or Sunday), so it's whatever works best for you. I would like to do Saturday and Sunday next year. Saturday was busy last year, and it does get hot, but it was so fun. It just depends who you want to meet, and whatever is best for you. :smile: