TV shows watched in 2020

Raylenth

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 9:21 PM, Raylenth said:

Avenue 5.  I'd describe it like an upscale Red Dwarf.  It's an amusing series about a load of mostly incompetent people stuck on a cruise spaceship after an accident renders them 3 years from getting back from Earth.  I'll definitely be looking forward to the next series when it comes 

Watched it too   really enjoyed it   was glsd i gave it a shot.

• Like 1

One of the positives to come out of lockdown is that there’s more time to investigate the dusty recesses of the dvd shelf and become reacquainted with a forgotten gem.

“Dr. Terrible’s House of Horrible” comprises six tales of terror linked by the eponymous host (as played by Steve Coogan).

Mercilessly lampooning 60s and 70s Hammer horror films, Coogan is ably assisted by Julia Davis, Simon Pegg, Mark Gatiss, Alexander Armstrong among others.

Titles such as “Frenzy of Tongs”, “Voodoo Feet of Death” and “Scream Satan Scream!” will chill the blood.

To quote Dr. Terrible himself, these tales are…

“Truly diabolical…”

9nJa5J2.jpg

• Like 1

Hard Sun.  I'm honestly not sure what I thought of it, it's certainly an interesting concept and on the whole well executed.  The characters seem to become more and more over the top but it kind of does fit in with the story line.  It's a shame it got cancelled though.

The Witcher - So I eventually got round to watching this. A dark fantasy with horror and some humour. It gets off to a slow start but persevere (which many of you have) and it builds from there. Plenty of blood, gore and monsters. Henry Cavill is excellent as Geralt of Rivia, ably assisted by the main cast and many well known guest stars. Just don't try to pronounce some of the character names. Looking forward to series 2.

Overall 8/10

• Like 1

Life on Mars Series 1.

p07l1cgt

I never watched this when it was originally shown so have taken advantage during the lockdown. An interesting idea for a cop show. Philip Glenister and John Simm (:wub:) are both excellent. It's well written with a mix of action, humour and sadness. And my Grandad had a car like Gene Hunt's. I am really looking forward to series 2.

Overall 10/10

Iron Fist; boring beyond belief… the main character (Finn Jones) is the just boring all over. He keeps claiming things like:  I’m the weapon, I’m the greatest warrior ever, I trained for 14 years in every martial arts technique… but he constantly gets his ass kicked. Every single thug fights better than him and he never uses the fist part from smashing it into the ground… pathetic. He’s the weakest character in the entire series and his acting is just appalling. The only thing that makes it worth watching is David Wenham In season one. Overall very happy they decided to end the show before it got even more embarrassing…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kurdamoni said:

Iron Fist; boring beyond belief… the main character (Finn Jones) is the just boring all over. He keeps claiming things like:  I’m the weapon, I’m the greatest warrior ever, I trained for 14 years in every martial arts technique… but he constantly gets his ass kicked. Every single thug fights better than him and he never uses the fist part from smashing it into the ground… pathetic. He’s the weakest character in the entire series and his acting is just appalling. The only thing that makes it worth watching is David Wenham In season one. Overall very happy they decided to end the show before it got even more embarrassing…

There are reasons that I did like it, I like Danny's child like attitude, but yeah, the story was messy, they kind of spent a lot of time not really doing anything and I can see why it was the least liked of the Netflix Marvel series. 

Homeland series 8

Prior to this I'd only watched to the end of S1 which was good, but I wasn't fussed enough to carry on with it.  I wanted to watch series 8 for reasons* and didn't have enough time to watch 2-7 before hand so leapt in blind hoping I'd be able to figure out what was going on.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the story was perfectly understandable from the get go and it was fine that I hadn't seen the previous 6 series to understand what was going on, which was nice.

The series was enjoyable to watch.  Hugh's character was despicable and loathsome, so it was nice to see him play a different kind of character this time, and the rest of the cast were excellent as well.  The ending was a surprise and was well written and apt I think.

* reasons

Homeland': Claire Danes' Husband Hugh Dancy Plays a Particularly ...

52 minutes ago, maegurwen said:

Broadchurch S1- Originally I think I got to S2 E1 when it originally aired then I kind of got distracted and didn't watch the rest. Found out there are three series so decided to re-watch series 1.

The butler did it. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Chernobyl.  I finally managed to watch it and it's absolutely phenomenal.  It deserves every award it won and more.  The production values are superb especially the make up and physical effects and the attention to detail couldn't be better.

In many ways it's a horrible thing to watch given what it's about and that we are following it on the ground and seeing these characters die in front of us as it were, and seeing the brave people who went in to literal hell, many knowing it was to their deaths, others having been lied to and told they would be fine, because they knew they had no choice, that someone had to and the consequences for the whole world would be unimaginable if they didn't.  All against a backdrop of a governement who refused to admit there was an issue, preferring to preserve the lie and add to them all to be seen as superior (Gosh that sounds familiar for some reason, can't think why).

It's a tragic and heroic story and if you haven't seen it you should.  It's hard, there are some scenes that are really difficult to watch, especially the scenes in the hospitals, but it's a truly powerful story and I'd not be surprised if Chernobly isn't a contender for the best TV series ever lists.

• Like 2

I've begun to- properly- watch The Tudors. I've seen it before when it was on back in the day, but never properly sat down and gave it a watch which I regret now because I'm hooked and I'm really cross knowing I could have loved this a decade ago. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 6:59 AM, Faerie Tanith said:

I've begun to- properly- watch The Tudors. I've seen it before when it was on back in the day, but never properly sat down and gave it a watch which I regret now because I'm hooked and I'm really cross knowing I could have loved this a decade ago. 

Brilliant, isn't it? One of my favourite series! :smile:

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 11:09 PM, Raylenth said:

Chernobyl.  I finally managed to watch it and it's absolutely phenomenal.  It deserves every award it won and more.  The production values are superb especially the make up and physical effects and the attention to detail couldn't be better.

In many ways it's a horrible thing to watch given what it's about and that we are following it on the ground and seeing these characters die in front of us as it were, and seeing the brave people who went in to literal hell, many knowing it was to their deaths, others having been lied to and told they would be fine, because they knew they had no choice, that someone had to and the consequences for the whole world would be unimaginable if they didn't.  All against a backdrop of a governement who refused to admit there was an issue, preferring to preserve the lie and add to them all to be seen as superior (Gosh that sounds familiar for some reason, can't think why).

It's a tragic and heroic story and if you haven't seen it you should.  It's hard, there are some scenes that are really difficult to watch, especially the scenes in the hospitals, but it's a truly powerful story and I'd not be surprised if Chernobly isn't a contender for the best TV series ever lists.

Chernobyl is incredible! It's definitely a must-see!

• 2 weeks later...

Killing Eve - Series 3. Definitely not as strong as Series 1 and 2 but certainly an enjoyable (if that's the right word) watch. Excellent performances from Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer and Fiona Shaw ably supported by the rest of the cast. Although there were some innovative killings it did have a tendency to be a bit predictable in parts. 

Overall 8/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 1:37 PM, natedammit said:

I've been watching 'House of Lies' starring Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell. I like it, but it's a bit vulgar for my sensitive soul.

Finished it. Liked it. It got a bit less vulgar, which was nice.