TV shows watched in 2020

Raylenth

THE MANDALORIAN - SEASON 1 (2019)

MV5BMDJjOGU4OGUtYmVlOS00ZWZjLWFlZGYtYWZh

I just finished watching the first season and I think its safe to say its the best thing that's come out of Star Wars since the OT ended (along with Rogue One). Its not amazing but its enough to keep me watching the next season. If I wasn't a fan of the OT though I'm not sure I would. 

The episodes are a bit hit and miss with only a couple or so that I really liked but I think that's the risk when you're trying to make each episode a self-contained story. The writings not bad and they're obviously taking their time with telling us what the deal is with Baby Yoda and Mando's past. What's annoying to me though is the Mandalorians never remove their helmets so it makes it very hard for us to feel sympathy for those characters. Mando himself isn't the mysterious tight-lipped bad-ass I was hoping him to be unlike Boba Fett but I can see that if he was like that it wouldn't be practical. 

I like IG-11, and hopefully we'll see other bounty hunters from ESB turn up like Dengar and maybe IG-88. And yes, I totally expect Boba Fett himself to show up at some point. It does feel odd that the stormtroopers are given more personality in this though especially at the start of the final episode when we saw them bickering about Baby Yoda.

Still the best TV show I saw in 2019 was Cobra Kai season 2. I tried to watch all of season one of Stranger Things but I really don't see what the fuss is about.

• Like 2

Final Space season 2 - I would say the first season was better but it's still enjoyable. One of the new characters introduced I could have done without but the rest were great and had funny banter to keep things from getting too heavy.

• Dracula: a new adaptation of the Bram Stokers story, I really liked it. It's from the creators that brought us  'Sherlock' so well written. Although the last episode requires some close attention as it is a real far fetched story line. 
  • Special: about a gay man with cerebral palsy, his struggles to fit in with his peers and in his job. I really liked the first episodes, but by the final three I was less sympathetic to the main character, he's kinda a jerk...
  • The I-land: Not really my cup of tea as the story is way to far fetched. some dialogue is good and the individual story lines of the characters is interesting, but the overall feeling I have is: wtf am I watching....

Dracula.  I am sorry to say I am very disappointed with it.  The first episode was boring but I wanted to try and watch the second as people said it was better, but I was just as bored.  The last couple of minutes were interesting and I've been watching episode 3 just now anticipating that it'll be better but I've finally pulled the plug half way through as I just can't be bothered to finish it.  So I got close to the end, and maybe I should have stuck it out but I kind of feel like I'd rather go stare at the wall or something.

• Like 1

Dracula - Bit of a Marmite production - you either love it or hate it. As this was a Moffat/Gatiss collaboration you know it's going to be a new take on an old story. They definitely put their own mark on it - Van Helsing as they've never been seen before. For me there is enough blood and gore to give it the Dracula feels. Claes Bang is charismatic enough to follow a long line of actors to take the lead. I thought he was superb. The effects are well done. The pacing is deliberately slow but I didn't mind that. The ending was fantastic and actually quite moving. I am in the "love it" category. Quite possibly the best adaptation of Dracula I have seen. 

10/10

• Like 1

The Witcher.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this.  It's well written and for the fact that the story line is complicated, it's not overly hard to work out so it didn't detract from it.  I can't believe it ended where it did and I am very much looking forward to the next series.

Geralt sure does say 'hm' a lot.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 1:25 AM, Faerie Tanith said:

I'm literally rewatching that right this second. I'm on a massive Good Place kick. I'm gonna miss it so much.

It's sad that it's over, it really was brilliant, but it stayed consistently great and the creators got to finish it on their terms having told the story the way they wanted to, which is fab. Gonna miss it too though lol

53 minutes ago, Broo said:

It's sad that it's over, it really was brilliant, but it stayed consistently great and the creators got to finish it on their terms having told the story the way they wanted to, which is fab. Gonna miss it too though lol

Is it really that good? I like it, but, you know. 

5 hours ago, natedammit said:

Is it really that good? I like it, but, you know. 

Interesting, layered, hilarious characters, its positive messages on the importance of striving to do better, diversity, character growth, I hope we same place again very now, and, most importantly:

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

But you know, different strokes for different folks n all that jazz ;)

6 hours ago, wjbleming said:

Aaaand you’ve lost him. Well done!

Yeah I should have gone with the "people tortured into always losing no matter what they try and they probably all have stomach ulcers from the stress" angle eh ;)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Broo said:

Interesting, layered, hilarious characters, its positive messages on the importance of striving to do better, diversity, character growth, I hope we same place again very now, and, most importantly:

Yeah, blah blah, but is it funny? It's supposed to be a comedy, right?

12 hours ago, Broo said:

Yeah I should have gone with the "people tortured into always losing no matter what they try and they probably all have stomach ulcers from the stress" angle eh ;)

Ok, that aspect is funny.

I've watched a few things so far this year that have been good; Watchmen, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Part 3, but hands down the best thing on TV at the moment has to be The Goes Wrong Show. I love Mischief Theatre and all their plays that I have managed to see so far and the TV show has lived up to exactly what I wanted it to be and more. There's still one more episode to air but go on iPlayer and watch the others if you haven't seen them. The episodes are not connected so I suggest you watch the court room episode first as it's the best one in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

I've watched a few things so far this year that have been good; Watchmen, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Part 3, but hands down the best thing on TV at the moment has to be The Goes Wrong Show. I love Mischief Theatre and all their plays that I have managed to see so far and the TV show has lived up to exactly what I wanted it to be and more. There's still one more episode to air but go on iPlayer and watch the others if you haven't seen them. The episodes are not connected so I suggest you watch the court room episode first as it's the best one in my opinion.

I agree, the Courtroom episode in particular was absolutely hilarious and it's be a crime not to watch it.

We just finished 'sex education' season 2; absolutely brilliant series. Great acting, amazing good writing, the humor works like a charm. but also the serious themes are well acted and written. The characters have some debt and are not superficial. 

War And Peace (BBC).  It's quite a heavy subject with lots of people dying horrible deaths, families lives being drastically affected by the unions they make and lots of backstabbing and manipulation.  It's got something for everyone - gore, blood, boobies, winkles, snow, some more snow and even more snow.  Pretty clothes, parties, angst, despair, Gillian Anderson being judgemental and dismissive, ect.  It's got a stellar cast and was an enjoyable watch.

The Good Place S1.  I was pleasantly surprised by the short episode lengths which at an average of 22 mins means you can go through the series quite quickly.  It's very well written and enjoyable to watch and the end of the series has a very good twist that they handled really well.  I'm looking forward to the next series.

5 hours ago, Raylenth said:

The Good Place S1.  I was pleasantly surprised by the short episode lengths which at an average of 22 mins means you can go through the series quite quickly.  It's very well written and enjoyable to watch and the end of the series has a very good twist that they handled really well.  I'm looking forward to the next series.

Yeah, all true, but is it actually funny?

1 hour ago, natedammit said:

Yeah, all true, but is it actually funny?

Well I'm not going to claim it was so funny I had to call for an ambulance to have emergency side repair surgery.  But it did make me smile a lot and go 'heh' a few times.

• Like 1