Films watched in 2020

Raylenth

The Hunt was a good and interesting thriller with a clever premise. It could have done with more character development (and more Emma Roberts :wub:) which given it's short running time could have been done.

• Like 1

On TV

The BFG - Yes I know it's a kids film but it's funny. Easy way to while away time without putting any thought into it.  10/10

Paddington 2 - As above. 10/10.

Hotel Transylvania - As above. 10/10.

At The Cinema 

The Invisible Man - Very competent reboot of a classic story. Well written,  well acted and most importantly it was actually scary. 10/10

Military Wives - A real feel good movie. It will make you laugh. It will make you cry. Good performances all round. 9/10

• Like 2

Fantasy Island was much better than it's reviews. It was an interesting horror with a good number of twists and another interesting premise (this is a good feature of Blumhouse horrors).

Edited by Daniel

On 3/11/2020 at 1:15 PM, Raylenth said:

Passengers.  Decent film, very nice visuals.

At the beginning why is he putting a jacket on to go and meet his fellow passengers?  He's on a climate controlled spaceship.  And at the end it's just as well that all those medical procedures she initiates that she has no idea about don't backfire.  Also someone's going to get a shock when they find their rotting corpses.

I believe at the start he knew he was about to meet the other passengers and wanted to make an impression  by looking nice he in case he'd meet a hot chick, right? The corpses would've rotted away over the years, the rest of the ship didn't wake up for decades. Maybe there's be skeletons

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:33 PM, Kurdamoni said:

Angel has fallen: nice ending of the 'saga'. Good story and better acting than the previous installment. 

That mid-credits scene in the water therapy  was incredibly pointless and out-of-place. The rest of the film started off good and its great that they were trying something different with the 3rd one by not having the same scenario again just like Taken 3 (which had one of the same writers) but ultimately it was pretty meh.

Edited by nicky

42 minutes ago, nicky said:

I believe at the start he knew he was about to meet the other passengers and wanted to make an impression  by looking nice he in case he'd meet a hot chick, right? The corpses would've rotted away over the years, the rest of the ship didn't wake up for decades. Maybe there's be skeletons

Good point, and good point :lol:

Midway (2019)

Set around the events of the Battle of Midway in 1942 that is regarded as a major turning point in the Pacific theatre. Solid casting and it stays pretty much true to events. There's a fair bit of CGI but it works well. Holds its own against the 1976 version.

Good film.

19 hours ago, Bumper8 said:

Midway (2019)

Set around the events of the Battle of Midway in 1942 that is regarded as a major turning point in the Pacific theatre. Solid casting and it stays pretty much true to events. There's a fair bit of CGI but it works well. Holds its own against the 1976 version.

Good film.

I agree with this as I have just seen it myself. It got a bit lost in the cinema release as it was too close to 1917 but it deserved better.

• Like 1

Frozen II: not as good as the first one. It was an overall pretty good Disney classic. Nice graphics, humor was alright. Though the songs let me down a bit, there was no memorable song like in the first movie. Story wise it was an original script. 

Toy Story 4: not as good as the third installment, however they never cease to amaze me what kind of plot lines they can come up with. The villain was pretty amazing, the muzic was great and the character evolution was executed pretty good. The story continues and it was a very ballsy move for a character like Woody.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kurdamoni said:

Frozen II: not as good as the first one. It was an overall pretty good Disney classic. Nice graphics, humor was alright. Though the songs let me down a bit, there was no memorable song like in the first movie. Story wise it was an original script. 

Hate to disagree but I actually prefer it to the first. :lol: It fixes a lot of the issues I have with the first film (although this one isn't flawless by any means either). I don't know what the more common opinion is regarding wether the first or second one is better, it seems to be an equal split from what I've seen.

3 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

30 minutes ago, Kurdamoni said:

Hate to disagree but I actually prefer it to the first. :lol: It fixes a lot of the issues I have with the first film (although this one isn't flawless by any means either). I don't know what the more common opinion is regarding wether the first or second one is better, it seems to be an equal split from what I've seen.

I’m gonna take the middle ground on this one! I think I like both equally. I was happy and surprised to see them take a massive diversion with the story but think it paid off. It’s true that this one doesn’t have a Let It Go but it’s still a really good soundtrack. Definitely the best sequel Disney Animation have done (outside of Pixar) in a long time.

45 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:
50 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:
1 hour ago, Kurdamoni said:

I’m gonna take the middle ground on this one! I think I like both equally. I was happy and surprised to see them take a massive diversion with the story but think it paid off. It’s true that this one doesn’t have a Let It Go but it’s still a really good soundtrack. Definitely the best sequel Disney Animation have done (outside of Pixar) in a long time.

I haven't seen either of them, so I loathe them equally.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

I haven't seen either of them, so I loathe them equally.

I realise the song got overplayed and many people judged the film purely on that but I highly recommend watching them, even to people who aren't massive Disney fans like me.

Toy Story 4.  It's a very good film and a wonderful end to the franchise.  Whilst I had spoiled myself for a vague knowledge of how it ended all I can say is 

Image result for hugh dancy crying gif

I love trash Forky

Bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo 

Edited by Raylenth

Assassins Creed.  Now I've not played the games at all so think I'm unbiased as I have no knowledge of the franchise at all.  On the whole it was OK, nothing spectacular.  A few annoying plot points, and who can say 'Force ghost' eh?

If there was an Oscar for mumbling, Fassbender would get it for this film.

Edited by Raylenth

16 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Toy Story 4.  It's a very good film and a wonderful end to the franchise.  Whilst I had spoiled myself for a vague knowledge of how it ended all I can say is 

Image result for hugh dancy crying gif

I love trash Forky

Bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo bo 

Was that gif really necessary? WAS IT???

220px-Yes-madam-poster.jpg 220px-RightingWrongs.jpg  220px-IntheLineofDuty4.jpg    220px-Iron-MonkeyPoster.jpg

I've been gorging on a lot of old Hong Kong action films lately from 'the golden age', namely Donnie Yen and Yeun Wo Ping's back catalogue. 

Yes, Madam! (1985) 
I'd never seen a Cynthia Rothrock film before and this was her first. Great to see her paired with a young Michelle Yeoh also in her debut (as a lead) kicking some major ass. Some serious girl-power going on here too.

Royal Warriors (1986) 
Great opening scene on the plane with Micheal Wong. Featuring a very young Hiroyuki Sanada, the bad guy from The Wolverine (2013).

Righting Wrongs (1986) 
Starring the great Yuen Biao, my favourite martial artist. Again with Cynthia Rothrock. 

In The Line Of Duty 4 (1989)
Amazing action-fest with an absolutely cracking finale and a fantastically energetic Cynthia Khan. She really should have been as big as Michelle Yeoh; Cynthia was cuter, younger and obviously a better fighter. Probably my favourite HK film from this era along with Eastern Condors (1987). Still got the other sequels to watch.

Tiger Cage trilogy (1988, 1990, 1991)
The first film's opening is a relentless bullet-fest in the style of John Woo but could have done with more martial arts although the one fight with Donnie Yen is great. I guess they fixed that in the 2nd film by promoting Donnie to the lead role. Shame its an all-new cast in the 3rd apart from Micheal Wong even though he's not a martial artist.

Iron Monkey (1993)
My dad really liked this one. Donnie Yen and Yuen Wo Ping at the top of their game.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

I watched The Lion King, the allegedly live action version. Obviously the original animation is a stone cold classic, and most of what I read when this new version came out was that it was kind of pointless and if anything worse than the original. I bloody loved it. Yeah sure it was 95% the same as the original, but the original was great (stone cold classic some would say) and this one had cute fluffy wuffy lion cubs and other random lil fellas. Also, the Jeremy Irons version of Scar was kind of a camp villain. Chiwetel Ejiofor's version was something else. He was a right dickhead. I hated him, in the best way. I so wanted him to get his comeuppance, whereas original Scar I was a little on his side.

220px-Undisputed_(movie_poster).jpg 250px-UndisputedIIposter.jpg 220px-Undisputed_III_Redemption.jpg 220px-Boyka_Undisputed.jpg

Undisputed (2002)
Wow, such a boring 2nd rate cheap film, it feels so straight-to-DVD. I expected much better from Walter Hill (THE WARRIORS, 48HRS) but he's not directed a good movie since TRESPASS (1993). 

Undisputed 2: Last Man Standing (2006)
I'm surprised someone wanted to make a sequel to the flat original but this was a surprisingly entertaining film especially for direct-to-DVD! Bit of a whack ending though with all that sentimentality for a character we know practically nothing about.

Undisputed 3: Redemption (2010)
Another entertaining action sequel (or spin-off), this time making the bad guy of the previous film the hero of this one. I was able to believe this change more so than Jason Statham's goodie-to-baddie transformation from FAST & THE FURIOUS 7 & 8.  Its a little bit homo-erotic though for what was meant to be such a macho film but it's funny how a certain scene acknowledges this relationship between the two leads.

Boyka: Undisputed (2016)
The fun continues in this now totally different film from the original. Our bad-guy-turned-hero has now grown a massive conscience with a plot similar to Van Damme's AWOL (1990). I thought this entry should have been called "Redemption" though instead of the third.

Edited by nicky

Gravity. George Clooney is great. Sandra Bullock is kind of annoying and whiny - and a bit useless for someone sent into space. But, this was non-stop action with great visuals and fantastic music, and best of all was only 90 minutes long.

• Like 1