General Chat

Broo

Trying to help a friend out who’s wanting to bid on some classic who autos on eBay, but is unsure if they are genuine or not, any collectors here who think these look genuine, I think they do but I said I’d get a second opinion?

32-D82735-99-AA-4-D63-BA6-B-768-B210-F6-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

Trying to help a friend out who’s wanting to bid on some classic who autos on eBay, but is unsure if they are genuine or not, any collectors here who think these look genuine, I think they do but I said I’d get a second opinion?

Always very hard to say.  I can only say that the Paul McGann doesn't match what I have, but people's sigs do change.  Terry Nation looks like it should, so does Davidson.

Paul McGann

I'd suggest to your friend that if they buy they might consider using Beckett authentication service.  It won't be cheap or quick but they would at least know if they are real or not (unfortunately they would have to buy them first but if it turns out any are fake they could open an Ebay case I guess?)

It's always best to buy from a reputable source if possible so I'd recommend looking here first, Showmasters recommend them (You can find the post about them in the main General Chat forum somewhere), and I've bought from here before as well https://celebrityinkautographs.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=25_293 (there's a separate page for new Who auto's) 

Finally, Showmasters have been auctioning stuff off on their facebook page and they have a dedicated Who sale on 9/6 at 7PM (this is fastest finger first as they post an image of the 8x10 with a note in the post saying who it is, the price and how many they have, and the first to reply get it at that price.  So you have to be quick)

Image may contain: 7 people, text that says "SHOWMASTERS WAREHOUSE CLEAROUT SALE! DOCTOR wHo LIVE SALE! Roowa nushur Minm Cn Iabalal Hébe OT AWESOME ITEMS UP FOR GRABS! JOIN OUR SHOWMASTERS PAGE NOW! AT 7PM TUESDAY 9TH JUNE"

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

Personally, I've met some of these actors and actresses and have their autographs. Autographs do change but some of these do seem to be a bit suspect.

As an aside - does anyone know when Tom Baker started to write Dr 4 under his signature?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, homerj said:

As an aside - does anyone know when Tom Baker started to write Dr 4 under his signature?

No but he doesn't always, a friend got him for me when SM had all the Doctors and he didn't add it.

2 hours ago, Raylenth said:

No but he doesn't always, a friend got him for me when SM had all the Doctors and he didn't add it.

Yeah, pretty much. I got three autos back in 2011 and I think two were without and one with .

Edited by maegurwen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

Michael Wisher (original Davros) is hard to get and in my opinion the signature in the photo looks good.

If it was an unpersonalised Davros signed photo I would be more suspicious.

• Like 2

I can't speak for Terry Nation or Michael Wisher as I don't have those autographs but I do have every other one. The only one I'm not sure about is Paul McGann. I know autographs can vary over time but unless he's completely changed the way he writes his I'm not sure about it. For comparison's sake here's mine that was obtained in 2019. The way the "P" of Paul and the "Mc" of McGann is written is completely different which seems suspicious to me.

2020-06-01_04-25-06

• Like 1

One thing I will say is Paul often mentions that he and his brothers are often mistaken for one another and rather than explaining,  often just sign the autograph of the brother the person is expecting them to be. It's highly possible this could be one of those autographs.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

One thing I will say is Paul often mentions that he and his brothers are often mistaken for one another and rather than explaining,  often just sign the autograph of the brother the person is expecting them to be. It's highly possible this could be one of those autographs.

Quite often I use the word often far too often in one sentence :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ravogd said:

Quite often I use the word often far too often in one sentence :lol:

I find myself doing that loads, when I look over what I've typed I'm like 'blimey'.

Also you totally mostly copied my answer about McGann, get your own one to debunk!

3 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I find myself doing that loads, when I look over what I've typed I'm like 'blimey'.

Also you totally mostly copied my answer about McGann, get your own one to debunk!

I know! I saw that after I'd posted mine :lol: Is it great minds thinking alike or fools seldom differing though?

3 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

I know! I saw that after I'd posted mine :lol: Is it great minds thinking alike or fools seldom differing though?

I'm going with the first, but in my case it's probably actually the second....

5 hours ago, natedammit said:

Should be called "Twelfth Doctor with Mid-Life Crisis".

Grandpa tries to keep up with the cool kids 

1 hour ago, Ravogd said:

2020-06-06_06-53-34

I know someone who does...

You can't stop there, show us 'em all!