Sign in to follow this  
Raylenth

VERY Important post about Winter

Posted (edited)

Dear Friends

We wanted to update you all about our Winter Edition of The London Film and Comic Con.

As we are all aware, the climate of instability in our country with Brexit looming has been quite challenging for everyone. The exit of the UK from the EU happening at the end of October could become even more difficult for everyone in the UK as things we are used to relying on start to change.

Running our larger events we are very dependent on the Pound to the Dollar exchange rate and recently the Pound dived to its lowest rate in decades which means that most US guests costs have risen dramatically and this looks likely to stay this way until we all find out where we stand with Brexit in the coming months.

Our next Winter London Film and Comic Con being planned to happen just 4 weeks after the leave date for Brexit leaves us all in uncertainty up to the event and even with 4 weeks after we may still not know where we all are. So, with this in mind we have taken the sensible decision to not run this year’s London Comic Con Winter. This is a decision we have properly thought through and we do feel with all this uncertainty in the world and with the exchange rate fluctuation these issues are unlikely to stabilize before the Brexit outcome in October, and most likely until the end of the year. We feel this is the right choice for the event and you the people that support us and trust us to make the right decisions to run and deliver outstanding events with amazing guest line ups like we have been doing for many years.

We are now going to put all our efforts into our 2020 London Comic Con Spring and Summer London Film and Comic Con where by then things should have settled down and we can proceed with putting on world class events for you to attend. The exciting thing about this is that we hope to bring you big guests for both events much earlier than usual, so something for us all to look forward to!

We had the most successful London Film and Comic Con Summer ever this year and we look forward to 2020 where we once again can deliver one of the best Film Comic Cons in the world for you all to enjoy.

I hope you see we are being responsible and looking out for what is best for you and the hobby and we look forward to seeing you all at our first big London Comic Con Spring on February 29th to 1st of March 2020! Any refunds on tickets already purchased will be automatically issued.

All our regional events are unaffected and will all go ahead as normal.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Yours

Jason Joiner 
Director, Showmasters Ltd

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Ah well. Least it's plenty of notice. However, might be a bit optimistic to get Brexit done by Spring the way things have been the last 3 years.

Selfishly... I'm kind of glad. I am away on holiday the weekend this event was going to be on so now I won't be missing anything!

Too bad! But glad to see the Spring event is coming together nicely!

Shame but it makes sense. Everyone will be in the same boat regarding whether or not they can afford to even attend so advance ticket sales would no doubt have been low too. Better to cancel with plenty notice than to try but put on a sub-standard event. 

Shame about the event but very pleased to read of Showmasters' sensible approach to running these events.  But like an earlier poster said, I think Brexit is going to run and run.

And run...

Winter Isn't coming.

Oh well probably wasn't going anyway, clashed with another event. No clash now.

• Haha 1

Kinda glad because LFCC Spring falls on my birthday (the Saturday) so hopefully you announce a guest for it I really want to meet so I can have an awesome day 

The post has been edited to remove a line about DST happening 

I want to get everything booked but not filling me with hope. 

Really hope it happens

5 minutes ago, JackAubrey said:

Really hope it happens

They posted in reply to a comment on Facebook that all the DST guests have been paid when the pound was stronger so is 100% happening.

9 minutes ago, JackAubrey said:

Really hope it happens

London Comic Con Winter DST is totally safe , we have sold lots of tickets for this and paid for guest when the dollar was in a better place so Destination Star Trek is 100% going on and it will be event better than last year

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

London Comic Con Winter DST is totally safe , we have sold lots of tickets for this and paid for guest when the dollar was in a better place so Destination Star Trek is 100% going on and it will be event better than last year

But will it be event better than last year though?

20 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

But will it be event better than last year though?

It might even be avant butter.

• Haha 1

OK, I get the whole brexit thing and I understand that completely. However, cancelling the show seems a little rash. There are plenty of big names who live in England. Maybe focusing on people here would be better. For example, I know there's the wish for Harold Bishop but I know a lot of the ex Aussie soap stars now live here including Jason Donovan, Craig MacLaughlan and Alan Kennedy. A lot of people would be really interested in meeting these guys and I think it could have been worth looking into this side rather than just the American guys. I know you need headliner guests but actors like Nick Frost, Gillian Anderson (maybe) and Chris Dowd are UK based. I know it's too late to change it now but maybe its worth keeping in mind for the future. In the spirit of David, I did post Harold Bishop a few times in Guest Suggestions and was surprised at how many other soap names were thrown in. I'm not just saying soap stars but there's plenty of great shows around like Red Dwarf, Fast Show etc that could easily fill a show out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hunter13 said:

OK, I get the whole brexit thing and I understand that completely. However, cancelling the show seems a little rash. There are plenty of big names who live in England. Maybe focusing on people here would be better. For example, I know there's the wish for Harold Bishop but I know a lot of the ex Aussie soap stars now live here including Jason Donovan, Craig MacLaughlan and Alan Kennedy. A lot of people would be really interested in meeting these guys and I think it could have been worth looking into this side rather than just the American guys. I know you need headliner guests but actors like Nick Frost, Gillian Anderson (maybe) and Chris Dowd are UK based. I know it's too late to change it now but maybe its worth keeping in mind for the future. In the spirit of David, I did post Harold Bishop a few times in Guest Suggestions and was surprised at how many other soap names were thrown in. I'm not just saying soap stars but there's plenty of great shows around like Red Dwarf, Fast Show etc that could easily fill a show out.

I'm sure Showmasters have considered all that and have made the best decision they could, knowing the business as they do.

Sorry to ask this on the forum, but has anyone received a refund or an email about a refund already? I'm asking because I still haven't heard anything about it :help: