Showing friends and family

Yup most people drink and smoke (or do worse) and in my eyes waste a fortune in their lives going out and acting like idiots. With a few good memoies mixed into them nights out at best, they all merge into one for most. 

So personally I spend my cash on memories, not brain destroying addictions like the majority of the UK.

And boy do I have memories, tales and proof of it all from the last 10 years!  If people I know want to know I can tell and show, but most pretend to not be impressed, when we know many are haha

I do this stuff alone for me, if anyone else likes it then so be it. Lets all make memories :D

• Like 6

I do show my parents cause I know that they are happy for me - and they don't care where I spend my money. They themselves are like: "You don't smoke, you don't drink" and so on. :D But I don't show to friends - unless they want to have a look. And when they do they usually try to find something negative to say. Something like: "Wow, that person got old"  or "He could have smiled more". But I don't care. I prefer to share my stuff here or somewhere else where people like me share the same passion. As some of you already mentioned - we do this for us. It's our memories, our experiences, our time and our money. I don't need to show my pics to 50 friends so that I can say: "Ha, look whom I met!". I enjoy checking out my folder all alone cause I love to remember the meetings!

Edited by carmine
  • Like 8

Most of my friends know what I am up to and used to it, my very best friend, which I have known since the early 70’s, is so used to me and my interests so it will take alot to surprise him. My family knows for sure. I spent alot of time with my dad’s aunt who worked in the business and thanks to her I met a few stars from the olden days, some I do or dont remember depending on when an where. I have a very good friend since a number of years back and I get alot of inspiration from her, she is an actress, we talk..mostly e-mail..on a regular basis and share thoughts and ideas. Around me I dont have so many I can talk about these things but here I have someone with a good ear and who knows exactly what I am talking about, and I love learning new things. But I havent run into anyone negative to what I am doing but only those who really arent familiar with it. I live by the rule that we are all different with different interests and as long as we do something that gives us happiness and a goal in life I am all supportive. Those who want to see my photos or autographs are free to do so and I have shown a few. This is a wonderful way to keep my spirit up and running and I have no intention stopping. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, carmine said:

Something like: "Wow, that person got old"  

Yeah thats one i get quite a lot. My response is compare a photo of how old you were when that film first came out, to how you look now. Usually gets a laugh and a defeated "point well made" :D

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, marty2015 said:

Many people I work with think I'm nuts spending that money, but I think they're nuts spending £3.50 on a cup of coffee 2-3 times every day. 

I think the same of my colleagues who have lunch at Pret A Manger everyday!

• Like 1

I do show my family who are interested... in fact I waxed lyrical so much after attending my first Con that when Showmasters announced their first Newcastle Con my Dad asked for tickets, so I took him along. I didn't think he would be able to do all the standing around, but I ended up taking him to the next two up there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaveyMorgy said:

I do show my family who are interested... in fact I waxed lyrical so much after attending my first Con that when Showmasters announced their first Newcastle Con my Dad asked for tickets, so I took him along. I didn't think he would be able to do all the standing around, but I ended up taking him to the next two up there.

Ahhh them good old Newcastle cons, shame they are gone :-( I took a few family members and they loved it. Most people cannot get to London, so it was great having Newcastle on our door steps. Sadly no more it seems.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Ahhh them good old Newcastle cons, shame they are gone :-( I took a few family members and they loved it. Most people cannot get to London, so it was great having Newcastle on our door steps. Sadly no more it seems.

It's a shame about the Newcastle Cons... possibly one day they will be back. Luckily, I live down south, so I have the best of both worlds.

They did still seem to try to put them on, there was even one advertised for this September that just vanished for whatever reason like last year’s did. Hopefully they can get them going again as there has been some great cons and I have met many wonderful guests there, especially when it was a Collectormania and it had sports guests. A real shame.

• 2 weeks later...

I show my mother and father, but they usually come to the convention with me. My mother definitely understands. I only show my other relatives and friends if they ask, but I usually get asked how much it all cost. My friends understand that I love conventions, and adore meeting celebrities, so they come with me sometimes. They enjoy meeting celebrities, too, so we all share a love for that. My family and friends do take an interest in who I meet, so they usually ask what they're like. Sometimes, they both wonder how I can spend so much, but they just accept it. I enjoy it, and after meeting them, I'm incredibly happy. They're just grateful to see me happy, and hearing about so many lovely celebrities. :smile:

Me and my brother have attended for years at various uk conventions and now my teenage daughter also comes along. I have work colleagues who take the pee about my hobby, and I suppose it is a hobby to some of us. They laughed when I said how much I’d paid to meet MJF but unfortunately that’s the mentality of some people. 

The first couple of years I went, and with being a bit shy I found it difficult to kinda chat to the guests, but in the more recent years I’ve had no such problem and I find I’m enjoying the events more, although my bank balance doesn’t. 

In the end, everyone in life is different and we all have different likes and dislikes, if we didn’t then life would be pretty boring. 

• Like 2