Showing friends and family

I share all my autographs on FB (I don't do photo ops usually). Some of my friends think it's cool and the rest just scroll past. In my family I'm lucky that my partner and I are equally obsessed with comic cons and will happily go and spend a grand over a comic con weekend. Our daughter and her boyfriend also enjoy joining us sometimes so it's a family thing for us. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ribbleblue said:

Just curious to see if everyone shows their photos and autos to people back home. I have mixed feelings about this as sometimes they just don't get it and I wish I hadn't bothered:(

Depend on who I’ve met, I have friends who usually attend these events with me and find anyone I usually meet cool, then I have family that watch some of the same shows I do so I show them those ones, but there’s some family members who do talk about me behind my back saying it’s all a load rubbish :lol: maybe to them but these items make me happy, just like that all inclusive cruise made them happy 

• Like 4

I can show my parents, my sister and one of my aunties and uncles my photos and autos, the rest of my family I can’t because they don’t get it and would secretly laugh and say things behind my back like I’m a weird person, sad but true :unsure:

I share with all my friends and family pretty much! They show a general interest in what I'm a fan of, TV shows, movies, actors etc and when I go on an adventure such as going to a concert or LFCC on my own, (which I'm fine with going on my own, if no one is able to come with, or isn't much interested in coming) they look forward to what I have to share. And although they may not reciprocate that interest the whole time, and the fact that I went to LFCC on my own twice now doesn't mean I may not go with one or two of them one day. They may not be into wanting to meet their favourite actors as much or be as much a fan of a show or film that some others are, but they can at least appreciate that I do. My mum in particular, has enjoyed meeting her favourite celebrities in the past, and knows of the love for particular actors, singers etc. so she understands my interests and supports me in them. Especially with my love for Tom Welling. I've been a fan of his for over 10 years and over those years she's watched all 10 seasons of Smallville with me, has given me Tom related merchandise as Christmas stocking presents and is actually generally interested in any updates I show her of what Tom's been up to in his career. We even went to the London premiere together of the film Parkland in 2013 which Tom was in (me hoping he would attend as he was at the Venice and Toronto ones previously, but sadly he didn't). Mum was generally interested in seeing the film anyways, and I was excited that I could see Tom on the big screen for the first time, especially after his long hiatus after Smallville. So when I finally got to meet him last year, of course she was going to be interested in seeing my photos with him and the autos he signed for me and all the stories I had to tell of my encounters with him. Because she's been there herself. Not to conventions, but met her celebs other ways, many years ago now, but she gets it. 

I also share on instagram because I have friends from various walks of life whom I met online and in person who are interested in seeing them and share similar interests. I am a member of another forum and co-moderate two boards there, (one is Tom Welling) so it's nice to also share with my fellow community there too. 

I guess I'm lucky. I'm sorry others of you whose family/friends don't get it. :sad:

Edited by Liv
  • Like 5

My mum is right by my side during the con (usually encouraging me to spend more money!)!

I haven't shared on FB, but that is more due to laziness than anything else!  I do have a couple of people at work who wanted stories and pics (one of which I was texting throughout the crazy back to back photoshoots on Sunday!) which was fun! Tbh the con life is slightly more mainstream than my other world (motorsports) so Con stories are usually more accepted! 

• Like 2

Usually my wife is with me but this year as she couldn't make it (very pregnant), I brought all my photos home and showed her. But as far as anyone else goes, I just uploaded a couple of the most well known people on Facebook and leave the rest - mainly because people don't really react if they don't know who they are. You'll always get people that don't know who "really famous" people are but it gets worse when the person isn't "current" or on TV all the time.

This year though my wife was super excited to see all the photos when I got back! Which was a nice change :lol:

• Like 4

I do show them my pictures, but 99% of the time I get "Nice photos... who are those people?":rolleyes:

I get that sth. like Star Trek is kind of "Special Interest" for normal people, but come on, how can you not have watched the Matrix at least once in the last 20 years??

Even if people watch the shows, they usually aren't really interested in the actors or anything beyond the series. I have a colleague who is a much bigger GoT Fan than I am, and he didn't recognize Lena Headey or Jack Gleeson when I showed him my pictures with them.:unsure:

My brother usually attends too, so enjoys seeing my stuff if he's not gone (like this year)

I have friends and family that also enjoy to see them , but I also have many people who think I'm mad for paying what I do and that it's terrible that "celeb a.b.c ",

would charge their fans so much for a photo / auto.

My reply is made up of...

1....Most (not all) of these Celebs would pretty much be ok giving you an auto and / or a photo if you met them in the street . But then , how likely are you to meet Martin or Charlie Sheen etc in the street ?

2...I'm not paying just for the auto / photo , I'm paying a premium to SM for the fact that they've arranged for all these people to travel over to one place, and all I have to do to meet them, is go there too.

3...some of our money doesn't just go to the Celebs, but ( I expect) it also covers things like air fares , hotels etc , as well as the staff costs and rental of the Halls etc.

• Like 4

I share mine with family and friends.  My parents recognize several guests I've met (my Dad in particular as he's a pretty big geek himself), and my other half and friends are mostly geeks too (a lot of them go to cons/signing events anyway, and others still get it, even if they wouldn't fork out for a guest themselves).   I've never had anyone disparage my collecting habits.

• Like 1

I show photos to my mother. Sometimes I have to explain who the guests are, and for some of my photoshoots when I'm in character for my cosplays, she says I should smile more.

I then upload them on my Facebook pages, and save them on my phone to show some of my work colleagues who aren't on Facebook.

Edited by Sebster118
  • Like 1

I love sharing my grrooovy photos, and its only been fairly recently I found out there are people who don't get it.  don't know y? so I just Strut, Strut, Strut awaaaay...

however, I've been chatting to a grroovy friend who's been doing Cons for years this morning, and this is what he had to say:

'The first time I did my first convention, I shared my photos online on Facebook online but very few took notice. My first LFCC event, there was a bit of interest (which was the 2014 event) when people started to react but it wasn't much but it suddenly shot with people really commenting and liking the LFCC 2015 album with me dressed as Doc Brown and posing with Michael Gambon and Christopher Lloyd. I enjoy doing these events with the people of the local group Geekfest and have opened a group of my own called Conqualifier to help new local people do them, (which some of them although interested are taking a lot of work to get them to come to a con). I thought everyone enjoyed seeing my photos but it wasn't until recently I found out there are people who 'don't get it' which appears to be possibly one of the primary reasons why I constantly struggle to get people to join me for various conventions-so I am now taking the liberty to literally explain what these events are and if applicable why guests charge £xxx. My friends/family do enjoy them but to me it is frustrating to get new people involved when I don't know how many of my friends don't get these events and how I can explain it to them in a way they can understand.' 

• Like 1

What I usually do first when I come back home is scanning the photos/autos. Then, it can sound crazy but I saved them on 3 different external hard disks which are then dispatched in 3 different locations (I always do that for my pictures, I am so afraid to lose them).

I upload some of them on FB and use one of the picture as profile picture :D Usually, I only show the actors people may know (the specific ones are sent directly to friends that I know is fan of Star Trek for example)

2 minutes ago, Faerie Tanith said:

I also get mixed reviews. Some people are quite interested and enjoy having a nose through mg autograph collection, others turn up their noses and ask who would ever spend money to meet these people. 

Ask them what they spend their money on. And sometimes it is just jealousy too..

Edited by Chris1970
  • Like 1

For years we've shown our autographs and had the "why do you bother" looks and comments, then you mention a particular guest and they become interested.   We've even converted a few into attendees because whoever/whatever they are interested in is covered.

We've also had "how do you know they're genuine" on more than one occasion, our answer to which is "I hope it wasn't a fake (name guest) in front of us or aren't we idiots."   Then we pull out the photo of the guest or a distance shot if it's no photos.   It's worth it for the looks you get from the unbeliever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faerie Tanith said:

I also get mixed reviews. Some people are quite interested and enjoy having a nose through mg autograph collection, others turn up their noses and ask who would ever spend money to meet these people. 

Grrrr.... 

I do gush about it to anyone who gives me an opening but I realised a while back that no-one wants to see more than 20-24 pics from your holiday or your event no matter what it is. So I print the best of my Con snaps for a mini album and just show those, usually a mix of guests and cosplay. If they ask for more than I am happy to go on but rare that it happens!

10 hours ago, Chris1970 said:

Ask them what they spend their money on. And sometimes it is just jealousy too..

Oh I do. They never like it when I do that! I have to say that while I don't earn much, this is really the only thing I do splurge on. I don't drink or smoke or go out, I don't have holidays, I don't have a car or my own home that I have to pour money into, so these events are the only things that I'll spend vast amounts on right now. Most of the people who act snotty about this are the ones who blow 200 quid in a single night at a club or a bar. Not much room left to judge me when you're basically paying for a hangover! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1