Showing friends and family

2 minutes ago, Ribbleblue said:

Just curious to see if everyone shows their photos and autos to people back home. I have mixed feelings about this as sometimes they just don't get it and I wish I hadn't bothered:(

Yeah sometimes the yawns/glazed over looks come out :lol:.

• Haha 1

I always show friends and family. They enjoy seeing them. Even those that aren't interested in going to a con enjoy them. Just as I enjoy hearing about their experiences in something I'm not interested in. It's all about give and take. 

The only problem  - showing them to my Mum. She loves seeing them but I have to keep explaining who people are and what they've been in. She's more into books and documentaries rather than films and dramas.  :laugh:

• Like 2

Well my mum goes with me so... ;) My family are all interested (my sister and her husband go to a lot of conventions too) and my friends are all giant nerds like me so they usually all ask about how it all went :)

@ribbleblue share your pics and your stories of guest meets here, we all get it so you're in good company :)

• Like 7

As I have said when this was discussed somewhere else, I don’t bother. Most of my friends/family would be happy to have an autograph/photo with a famous person but would never pay for them. I don’t do this to show off to other people or do the “look what I have” thing. It’s just for me so I’m happy keeping them and looking at all my albums of over 10 years worth of stuff every now and then and smiling at the memories. There are exceptions of course as when we were wee boys my cousin and I were daft on The Six Million Dollar Man so I did send my cousin a copy of the Lee Majors photoshoot.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Broo said:

Well my mum goes with me so... ;) My family are all interested (my sister and her husband go to a lot of conventions too) and my friends are all giant nerds like me so they usually all ask about how it all went :)

@ribbleblue share your pics and your stories of guest meets here, we all get it so you're in good company :)

:smile:Thanks Broo. 

• Like 1

I usually scan all my autographs and photos, then put the originals away in a safe place, so not to get them damaged and put the copies on the wall in my little den.  I usually get nice comments from people when they see them.

Edited by Jon

I need a liile den! 

1 minute ago, Jon said:

I usually scan all my autographs and photos, then put the originals away in a safe place, so not to get them damaged and put the copies on the wall in my little den.  

• Like 1

My children love seeing the pics but my parents and sister think I'm stupid for wasting money on it so I don't talk much about it. My sister and bil can be particularly disparaging about cosplay and conventions so i just don't bring it up. Makes me feel sad but at the same time everyone has things they like that I don't so I try not to get too bothered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ribbleblue said:

Just curious to see if everyone shows their photos and autos to people back home. I have mixed feelings about this as sometimes they just don't get it and I wish I hadn't bothered:(

I have no choice. My mother pesters me and then sometimes doesn't recognise who it is which means I have to explain. I didn't end up showing them all this time so most she recognized.

• Like 1

I showed my photos and autos to my friends and family after my first con (LFCC 2016) because I was really excited. Now I mostly only do it if someone asks, because I feel like I'm rubbing it in their face (got one jealous friend that ruined the sharing experience). But I share all my excitement and joy of the con with you guys, which is really lovely!! 

• Like 7

I share mine on Facebook only dropping the odd photo if I am not happy with it, this year I shared them all. 

William Shatner was my main one that had the most appreciation I guess down to being the most recognisable. 

Some friends don’t get it but that’s their problem not mine as I will keep talking to them about it :D

• Like 1

I’ve shared my photos and autos on my FB page and Instagram - they’ve been very popular posts with my friends and work colleagues. Best comments were “Did they have to call security to get you off them?” (No, I was very good - hug, photo, leave) “Couldn’t you pack Ian Somerhalder in your overnight bag and bring him home?” (Kidnapping is a criminal offence but god, I was tempted)  :lol: 

Seeing actors at a convention feels similar to seeing famous singers/bands at a concert and people get just as excited over that so I’m not sure why some don’t get it. For concerts, you pay exorbitant prices and certainly don’t get as close as we do to the main stars. Concerts even have the cosplay equivalent as every one I’ve been too, there are people dressed up as the lead singer. It’s amusing though...you say to someone I went to see Coldplay in Cardiff “OMG, that’s brilliant.” You say I went to a film convention and hugged several well-known actors “You did what?!” So many have just never heard of it.

I like to think conventions are a growing phenomenon and it’s just the way actors and actresses can connect with their public, the same way singers and musicians connect with theirs at concerts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1