First time attendee

HeartDT

13 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

VQs for autographs are pretty much the same. Where you thinking of a package or a 3 day ticket?

Possibly a package.. lieutenant but could be just 3 day entry depending budget.    We're in particular wanting Connor Trinneer, Alice Eve and Anson Mount..... possibly George Takei and Jonathan Frakes.   

Edited by HeartDT

2 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

3 Day Entry would be exactly the same, possibly minus the holding area. Packages would be quite similar to Diamond Pass pick up.

Thanks QS.... we are considering packages.  Only thing putting us off going with it is not know which autos will be included.

Yeah, I understand. If you have your heart set on three People on the guest list in particular the package may not be what works best for you.

Connor's lovely by the way, and I am Hearing good Things About Anson too from Friends. So great choices. ;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

Yeah, I understand. If you have your heart set on three People on the guest list in particular the package may not be what works best for you.

Connor's lovely by the way, and I am Hearing good Things About Anson too from Friends. So great choices. ;)

Thank you.   Ohhhh   brilliant to hear.  :)

Having been to both, the biggest difference is probably that DST is not as big as LFCC. Certainly in my experience, most of the queues are not as long, but my advice would be if you are going for all three days to get most of your autographs either Friday or Sunday and stick mainly to talks and other activities on Saturday, which is the busiest day. Personally I would say the NEC is a better venue, as the halls are just basically large hangers, there are not all these seperate spaces like at Olympia so its much easier to get around. Unlike LFCC, you need to buy 8 x 10s from a seperate table, though they are not expensive. Clearly best to work out what you want and go get them all when its not busy, maybe Friday.

Packages wise, it depends what you want to do really. I brought Commander last year and had no regrets. It is reasonably affordable and affords quite good priority - no VQs, decent seating for the talks. Certainly I did very little queueing. Downside is 2 autographs and which talks you get are random, and that's especially a consideration with autos if you already have a number of Trek guests. Just a weekend pass gives you more flexibility in a sense, but you will queue for longer and be right at the back for talks on the main stage.

• Like 1

The packages are good IMO and we have done Commander and Captain in the past and to be honest, there was very little difference compared to the hike in price. We usually stick to Commander these days. Like has been said the autos are random, however they can get away with that here are it is (for the most part) a one fandom event. I know this isn’t technically true and you can have people like one Trek show and dislike all the others, but to be honest the best part of the packages is the talks and the queueing perks. Lieutenant package just doesn’t give you enough as it is the only one that doesn’t have priority for the queueing ( a lot of people don’t note that, you keep seeing them arguing at queues) and if you have loads of cash the dream would be Admiral which is apparently just a phenomenal experience (ask @robmoriarty he’ll tell you all about last year). 

Yes the autographs are random but you will almost certainly get someone you were going to get anyway and if not, then you’re still getting the auto of someone you weren’t planning on and it can be fun to meet new guests you didn’t expect. We were pleasantly surprised by Mary Chieffo last year who was an absolute blast at her table and we wouldn’t have gone near her if it wasn’t in the package. 

It can all be done on VQ’s too though, but I disagree a bit with Captain Lucas as we have seen some mad queueing (George Takei at DST 2016 in particular springs to mind) but this is usually down to the usual mix of slow signing, chatty guest and inexperienced blue shirts managing the queues mixed with desperate fans trying to get to see their “big” guest. Jonathan Frakes this year will be insane as he has cancelled the last at least 3 (maybe 4) DST’s so everyone will be wanting him. Take a package and you could get lucky and get him on there. Equally in 2016 they had to announce over the tannoy that William Shatner was on an open queue one afternoon. William Shatner. At a dedicated Star Trek convention and the queue was dead, we just walked right up. It can happen. 

Connor you should get very easily as he has been there before and won’t be in such huge demand. As QS says he’s lovely (he was actually a bit drunk when I met him as him and Dominic Keating had been slipping vodka into their red bulls all afternoon). If you want only 3-5 people you will get them over the three days. We averaged about 8-10 a day last year and were all done by the Sunday so spent it at photo ops (which are the exact same as LFCC btw) and going to talks, something we never manage to do at LFCC. 

If you are a Trek fan then you HAVE to experience it. I don’t know nobody that has gone as a newbie that I haven’t met on the Sunday and have them tell me they aren’t coming back. Everyone can’t wait to book the next year. 

Now if only I could find a rich uncle/aunt or have the 6 little numbers come up so I can get that damned Admiral package......

Edited by Ravogd
  • Like 1

I went with the Commander Package last year, which honestly was really helpful. It allows you to join the back of any queue, which cuts time considerably. However that being said, as previously mentioned DST is a much smaller event than LFCC, and with only a few guests you want to meet, a 3 day pass would probably be fine, as the queues were never really bad when I've been. ^_^

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HeartDT said:

Thank you guys.    Definately lots to think about.  Will see hoe budget is... took a hit at LFCC with all the fab guests and it will also deoend on cost of hotel as travelling from Scotland. 

Check out Hotels in the City Center. It's quite easy to get to the Airport, just a straight shot down the Railway. That should help with Budget.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HeartDT said:

Thank you guys.    Definately lots to think about.  Will see hoe budget is... took a hit at LFCC with all the fab guests and it will also deoend on cost of hotel as travelling from Scotland. 

We use the Premier Inn hockey heath which is a village about 15 minute drive away along the M42. Considering how close it is to the con it’s usually very quiet and an Uber from  there is about £10-£12 each way but as Queen says there are many, many hotels with easy travel connections in Birmingham. The beauty of the NEC is that it is literally right beside the train station and airport so a short ride on the train to any nearish hotel is a doddle. We drive down and take the car to the con every day as parking at the NEC is plentiful and very reasonable too.

4 hours ago, Ravogd said:

The packages are good IMO and we have done Commander and Captain in the past and to be honest, there was very little difference compared to the hike in price. We usually stick to Commander these days. Like has been said the autos are random, however they can get away with that here are it is (for the most part) a one fandom event. I know this isn’t technically true and you can have people like one Trek show and dislike all the others, but to be honest the best part of the packages is the talks and the queueing perks. Lieutenant package just doesn’t give you enough as it is the only one that doesn’t have priority for the queueing ( a lot of people don’t note that, you keep seeing them arguing at queues) and if you have loads of cash the dream would be Admiral which is apparently just a phenomenal experience (ask @robmoriarty he’ll tell you all about last year). 

Yes the autographs are random but you will almost certainly get someone you were going to get anyway and if not, then you’re still getting the auto of someone you weren’t planning on and it can be fun to meet new guests you didn’t expect. We were pleasantly surprised by Mary Chieffo last year who was an absolute blast at her table and we wouldn’t have gone near her if it wasn’t in the package. 

It can all be done on VQ’s too though, but I disagree a bit with Captain Lucas as we have seen some mad queueing (George Takei at DST 2016 in particular springs to mind) but this is usually down to the usual mix of slow signing, chatty guest and inexperienced blue shirts managing the queues mixed with desperate fans trying to get to see their “big” guest. Jonathan Frakes this year will be insane as he has cancelled the last at least 3 (maybe 4) DST’s so everyone will be wanting him. Take a package and you could get lucky and get him on there. Equally in 2016 they had to announce over the tannoy that William Shatner was on an open queue one afternoon. William Shatner. At a dedicated Star Trek convention and the queue was dead, we just walked right up. It can happen. 

Connor you should get very easily as he has been there before and won’t be in such huge demand. As QS says he’s lovely (he was actually a bit drunk when I met him as him and Dominic Keating had been slipping vodka into their red bulls all afternoon). If you want only 3-5 people you will get them over the three days. We averaged about 8-10 a day last year and were all done by the Sunday so spent it at photo ops (which are the exact same as LFCC btw) and going to talks, something we never manage to do at LFCC. 

If you are a Trek fan then you HAVE to experience it. I don’t know nobody that has gone as a newbie that I haven’t met on the Sunday and have them tell me they aren’t coming back. Everyone can’t wait to book the next year. 

Now if only I could find a rich uncle/aunt or have the 6 little numbers come up so I can get that damned Admiral package......

As @Ravogd hinted at, I did review the admiral package last year, which I hope it’s okay to link to here(?).

Normally I've only ever gone with a pay-as-you-go approach. Wanting to meet 27 guests and in particular when the entire Discovery cast was announced late on was my tipping point in deciding to go for the top package. The bottom line with any you choose is to add up the things that you want to do as they’re announced, look at the perks that come with the packages, see which are most important to you and then which becomes economically viable. That’s all I did. You don’t have to decide right now, prob up until the end of September when the lineup is more formed is fine.

This year so far I’m up to around 11 guests so far. So I’m probably thinking Commander package at the absolute minimum, more likely Captain depending on any remaining announcements matching with my remaining wishlist.

Hope that helps you @HeartDT.

Edited by robmoriarty
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Queen_Sindel said:

Check out Hotels in the City Center. It's quite easy to get to the Airport, just a straight shot down the Railway. That should help with Budget.

This is what I did last year. There is a Premier Inn just south of the Cathedral Square, 5 mins walk to New Street Station from where its a 10 min train ride. Should be no more than £50-60 a night.

Edited by Captain Lucas

I'm toying with going to DST for the first time too this year (I love LFCC and it would be great to go to a Star Trek specific event!) so this is really helpful, thank you.

I noticed one of the differences mentioned above between DST and LFCC is that you have to buy the photos before getting an autograph. Is there one section where you go and all the photos are there for you to pick the ones you want, or are they near the queue for that particular guest, but the only difference is that you have to buy them first? And what sort of price are the photos to get signed? As obviously the cost of the autograph will depend on the guest, but I am assuming the cost of the prints will all roughly be the same price as they're mostly all 8x10s...? 

17 minutes ago, MagicalMimi said:

I'm toying with going to DST for the first time too this year (I love LFCC and it would be great to go to a Star Trek specific event!) so this is really helpful, thank you.

I noticed one of the differences mentioned above between DST and LFCC is that you have to buy the photos before getting an autograph. Is there one section where you go and all the photos are there for you to pick the ones you want, or are they near the queue for that particular guest, but the only difference is that you have to buy them first? And what sort of price are the photos to get signed? As obviously the cost of the autograph will depend on the guest, but I am assuming the cost of the prints will all roughly be the same price as they're mostly all 8x10s...? 

There is one big stall that sells all the pics for all the guests. It is usually quite near the auto area. The prices are very reasonable (about 3 8x10 for £5 if I remember correctly but don't quote me). They do sell other sizes too though and the price will vary for those. The dealers at the event are pretty savvy to this and there is usually quite a few offering "exclusive" prints and posters. You will be spoiled for choice  As you can imagine this does get very busy first thing on all 3 days as people rush to these stalls after collecting VQs. You can always take your own prints with yiu to avoid this though. That's what we do. 

Edited by Ravogd

8 hours ago, Ravogd said:

There is one big stall that sells all the pics for all the guests. It is usually quite near the auto area. The prices are very reasonable (about 3 8x10 for £5 if I remember correctly but don't quote me). They do sell other sizes too though and the price will vary for those. The dealers at the event are pretty savvy to this and there is usually quite a few offering "exclusive" prints and posters. You will be spoiled for choice  As you can imagine this does get very busy first thing on all 3 days as people rush to these stalls after collecting VQs. You can always take your own prints with yiu to avoid this though. That's what we do. 

Thanks! That's good to know. I think I prefer the LFCC way as you don't know who you might manage to get on a given day, whereas at LFCC if you're at the point where you can see the pictures and paying then you're getting that autograph. But I shall just have to think carefully about who I want and just hope to get them. If not, then I have a picture of them and can always take that with me if the guest ever returns. :D Or, as you say, bring my own prints. Not sure where to get good prints before the event though, as I do like the selection that is usually on offer at LFCC (I assume DST will be similar on that front!).:lol:

It's good to know I have to get a picture in advance, as otherwise I would have just assumed it's the same and would probably only have found out after I'd been in the queue for a bit - so this is really helpful, thank you!

1 hour ago, MagicalMimi said:

Thanks! That's good to know. I think I prefer the LFCC way as you don't know who you might manage to get on a given day, whereas at LFCC if you're at the point where you can see the pictures and paying then you're getting that autograph. But I shall just have to think carefully about who I want and just hope to get them. If not, then I have a picture of them and can always take that with me if the guest ever returns. :D Or, as you say, bring my own prints. Not sure where to get good prints before the event though, as I do like the selection that is usually on offer at LFCC (I assume DST will be similar on that front!).:lol:

It's good to know I have to get a picture in advance, as otherwise I would have just assumed it's the same and would probably only have found out after I'd been in the queue for a bit - so this is really helpful, thank you!

If you can find high enough resolution images it's very quick and easy and cheap to order them from somewhere like Boots Photo or you can buy them here https://www.statesidestills.com/

Yeah I prefer the LFCC way too but it’s not just Showmasters that run this con and different companies do things different ways. I can understand as the prints cost money and given how many people bring their own things for signing I can see how not having them for free would save on overheads. The prints are the same as you would expect if the guest was at LFCC so the selection will be fine. It does calm down after the morning rush so there is plenty of time to go back and forward if you decide to add a guest last minute. Just be aware that like LFCC the more popular prints can be sold out as the weekend goes on so don’t leave it too late to get them. Remember the dealer stalls too though.

It's worth noting as well, because some people don't like it, but the 8x10's on offer from the official stand will probably have the DST on them so if that's something you don't like you will need to source your own.

I don't have any DST 8x10's to show you an example of but I can show you the ones from Sherlocked that have the same type of show name on them.

20171030_124449

10 hours ago, Raylenth said:

It's worth noting as well, because some people don't like it, but the 8x10's on offer from the official stand will probably have the DST on them so if that's something you don't like you will need to source your own.

I don't have any DST 8x10's to show you an example of but I can show you the ones from Sherlocked that have the same type of show name on them.

Yes, the DST photos do have the logo on them. I have scanned a small selection from last year’s batch so you can see what they look like. Usually each guest has at least three or four different ones to choose from. 

ltbK6S8.png msXdCpD.png e0vYVig.png

Edited by robmoriarty
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

Yes, the DST photos do have the logo on them. I have scanned a small selection from last year’s batch so you can see what they look like. Usually each guest has at least three or four different ones to choose from. 

ltbK6S8.png msXdCpD.png e0vYVig.png

I don't even really notice the logo to be honest, one of my framed ones has it on, and I don't even see it any more.