Val Kilmer Appreciation Thread

Met Val and got a diamond pass for him on Saturday and he was amazing, despite all the troubles with throat cancer and not really being able to speak he kept positive and I got a great picture with him!

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jamie hicks said:

Met Val and got a diamond pass for him on Saturday and he was amazing, despite all the troubles with throat cancer and not really being able to speak he kept positive and I got a great picture with him!

I absolutely loved meeting Val. He provided the best guest experience I have ever had:

When I went to get his autograph, I had all my diamond passes round my neck. He spotted Charlie Sheen's diamond pass and he grabbed it. I thought he was looking for his so I told him that his was here somewhere. He pulled my Charlie Sheen diamond pass towards him which pulled me across the table so I was face to face with him. He then picked up a sharpie and drew devil horns and a tail on my Charlie Sheen diamond pass. Everyone was laughing even the security who was with him. After that he then signed my Batman picture before giving me a thumbs up when I aid he was great as Batman.

• Like 7

He's been in so many things I've enjoyed over the years that meeting him was always going to be a big deal, but I have so much respect for him staying despite his recent health troubles. So thanks to him and to the Showmasters team who were clearly working hard yesterday. I've met a few exciting people over the last few years but this one's certainly had more of an emotional impact. All the best to him.

• Like 1

I was very impressed with Val Kilmer. He said so much through his mannerisms to convey his happiness to be at the show and meet people. He signed whatever people wanted; pen colour, character name, quote, personalisation.

Truly an exceptional guest. I was very, very impressed with his attitude and the time he took with fans. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know who the lady dressed as Wonder Woman was. She was filming the documentary they are making about Val kilmer.

I'm interested because she filmed my interaction with Val Kilmer as he doodled on my Charlie Sheen diamond pass.

He was such a trooper,

Despite having to take some breaks he was still signing up till 5:30ish on Sunday and he had no queue at that point  

happy to get one of his first ever signatures on a Jay & Silent Bob Reboot poster 

• Like 1

I loved loved loved meeting Val Kilmer <3 I wasn't sure what to expect (I say that with no negativity) but he was really wonderful and as said above, was conveying himself very well in his mannerisms and gestures. The two folks with him in the auto area were really friendly and chatty (the lady had the same name as me so we were joking about that and the gentleman sat next to him really liked the Willow print I was having signed, which Val indicated he also liked). There were smiles and eye contact and I came away from that on cloud 9.

For photographs he put his arm around me and I asked if it was okay to put my hand on his shoulder which he indicated was okay, he then held my arm with his other hand to bring me in for a lil hug which was AMAZING. After I said to him Thank you so much, and he said Thank you back and perhaps it doesn't sound much but to me was huge. Wonderful all round :wub:

IMG-20190728-WA0010.jpg

• Like 15

I didn't have much of an interaction with Val, but I'm very happy with what I did get. I was in his queue at around 3ish, I'd been waiting for well over an hour. I knew he was taken off ill, so respect to him for coming back and signing. I eventually managed to get to him, but it was a very brief hello and thank you, with no personalisation or character names etc. Despite this and how he was ill he still looked at everyone, said hello, thanks for coming, and so on, which was more than I had expected or hoped for. Well done to Val for staying and signing, and I'm so happy I've met him. :thumbup:

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I didn't have much of an interaction with Val, but I'm very happy with what I did get. I was in his queue at around 3ish, I'd been waiting for well over an hour. I knew he was taken off ill, so respect to him for coming back and signing. I eventually managed to get to him, but it was a very brief hello and thank you, with no personalisation or character names etc. Despite this and how he was ill he still looked at everyone, said hello, thanks for coming, and so on, which was more than I had expected or hoped for. Well done to Val for staying and signing, and I'm so happy I've met him. :thumbup:

I think he was personalising most of the weekend (he did mine and my friends) - Sunday was rough for him though so they probably stopped doing them to make it easier for him to get through people 

Edited by benweblight

I had Vals diamond pass for Saturday, as for the autograph I was very happy got it personalised and when it was my turn I said to him, “it’s amazing to meet, thank you so much for coming” he gave me a nod and smile and after signing my photo he extended his hand to give me a handshake, at the photoshoot he was on a chair, lucky for me the chair was high and I am considered to be short so we look pretty much level in the photo :lol: gotta give this man credit for doing the event, so glad I got to meet him 

• Like 2

He used one of my partner’s sharpie paint pens to sign my Batman Forever Blu-ray and her funko pop and he made gestures to say how much he loved using the pen (quite a few guests do) and when I tried to take it back he kept doing that jokey thing of pulling it back at the last minute. 3 times he did that then when he did leave it there he wouldn’t let it go and we had a wee tug-o-war back and forth with it for a bit. Very funny guy and I hope he is feeling so much better today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ravogd said:

He used one of my partner’s sharpie paint pens to sign my Batman Forever Blu-ray and her funko pop and he made gestures to say how much he loved using the pen (quite a few guests do) and when I tried to take it back he kept doing that jokey thing of pulling it back at the last minute. 3 times he did that then when he did leave it there he wouldn’t let it go and we had a wee tug-o-war back and forth with it for a bit. Very funny guy and I hope he is feeling so much better today.

Do you think my picture would lose all of its value if I bought one of those myself and traced over the signiture so I could see it xD

38 minutes ago, Jamie hicks said:

Do you think my picture would lose all of its value if I bought one of those myself and traced over the signiture so I could see it xD

It's a difficult thing to decide - my Hannibal poster has been signed by a few people now and I noticed at the weekend as I was getting it out for Gina to sign that one of the auto's is wearing away so I did wonder if I could go over it with one on my pens, but it'll ruin it I think, I won't get the same pen flow because the signature isn't mine so it won't be nice and smooth and I will look at it knowing I did it.  In my case it's better to leave it and try and protect it more.

Re value, that's a hard thing, it technically won't be his auto and if you were having it authenticated it'd probably certainly be rejected if you do it because they would see the second flow of ink - there's no way you can accurately go over it.

16 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

It's a difficult thing to decide - my Hannibal poster has been signed by a few people now and I noticed at the weekend as I was getting it out for Gina to sign that one of the auto's is wearing away so I did wonder if I could go over it with one on my pens, but it'll ruin it I think, I won't get the same pen flow because the signature isn't mine so it won't be nice and smooth and I will look at it knowing I did it.  In my case it's better to leave it and try and protect it more.

Re value, that's a hard thing, it technically won't be his auto and if you were having it authenticated it'd probably certainly be rejected if you do it because they would see the second flow of ink - there's no way you can accurately go over it.

Yes it is very difficult even if you were the one that originally wrote it. This is Julie Benz on my partner's Buffy box. She did it once, then decided it was too faint and she went over her own writing herself. It's not easy.

IMG_20190729_190856

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamie hicks said:

Re: value, was it personalised or not?

Personalised signatures normally have very little value anyway so not worth worrying about. 

I am a new Val Kilmer fan after Sunday and I will now always be super proud to be so...

What a wonderful, brave man. I know the term 'brave' is used a lot and sometimes the merit is hard to find, but for anyone who had the honour and privilege of seeing Val on Sunday I think we agree he showed true tenacity and a vulnerability I found endearing and somewhat touching...  . I truly hope he comes back to a signing event soon.

Does anyone have any insight into the documentary he was filming?

img021.jpg

Edited by Victoria
Editing to include pic
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, benweblight said:

Re: value, was it personalised or not?

Personalised signatures normally have very little value anyway so not worth worrying about. 

No it wasn't personalised. I wouldn't really trace over it because I know it would lose its value but I'd just like it to show up better

58 minutes ago, Victoria said:

Does anyone have any insight into the documentary he was filming?

This is something I am trying to find out as well, as they filmed my interaction with him. He has such a great sense of humor. As soon as he saw my Charlie Sheen diamond pass he grabbed it pulled it towards him and picked up a pen and drew devil horns and a tail on it.

Such a great man that made everyone laugh. He didn't speak much due to his health but everything else more than made up for it.

Hope I get to meet him again.

• Haha 1

I grabbed a high vq in the morning on Saturday, really high number. By 5.30 (i think, time had blurred by this point) it was a very small open queue. I got an auto. I dont think I've ever felt so emotional getting an auto, what a fantastic guy after what he has been through, to come over and meet us all. Full respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JokerJosh said:

This is something I am trying to find out as well, as they filmed my interaction with him. He has such a great sense of humor. As soon as he saw my Charlie Sheen diamond pass he grabbed it pulled it towards him and picked up a pen and drew devil horns and a tail on it.

Such a great man that made everyone laugh. He didn't speak much due to his health but everything else more than made up for it.

Hope I get to meet him again.

Such a great story, I read about your interaction with Val earlier today and I have been thinking about it a lot since, so pleased he was enjoying himself and clearly had a mischievous streak. I love it. 

I hope we find out more about the documentary in due course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spengler said:

I dont think I've ever felt so emotional getting an auto, what a fantastic guy after what he has been through, to come over and meet us all. Full respect.

I found it to be a very emotional experience too. Absolutely full respect to Val. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Victoria said:

Such a great story, I read about your interaction with Val earlier today and I have been thinking about it a lot since, so pleased he was enjoying himself and clearly had a mischievous streak. I love it. 

I hope we find out more about the documentary in due course. 

Thank you. He provided the best guest experience I have ever had. And the fact he made everyone laugh whilst doing it was even better. Even his security was laughing and asked me to show him the doodled diamond pass.

I really hope we find out about this documentary.

• Like 1