Crew Appreciation

RobC

I can only echo the comments made about the crew.

There are always going to be questions and queries posed to the crew, and what makes the Comic Con more enjoyable is the crew being able to deal with those comments and queries, so you know what is going on or what to do.

It simply would not function without them. So, you have my full appreciation.

• Like 1

On the whole I had positive experiences with the crew.

Have to echo the praise someone else has already said to the person on photoshoot F who was holding up a small whiteboard with the guest name and current batch number. Why can something like this be done for all photoshoot areas, as it made it very clear what was going on?

My main issue occurred in photoshoot area B for Hayden Christensen. Initially there were insufficient staff for the number of people crowding around the area, and those staff that were there, were by the entrance to the shoot furthest away from the main stage. To compound the issue, the Main Stage had Rey Mysterio’s talk in progress with extremely loud music being played followed by loud talking over the speakers, meaning that it was virtually impossible for the staff to be heard, especially by people on the far side of the area. Maybe for another year, Showmasters can look at locating the main stage away from the photoshoot areas? Also, it is known well in advance which photoshoots are the most popular so there is no excuse for there not being extra staff moved into these areas in preparation to handle the crowds.

Props to the redhead lady on photo shoot F saturday (can’t remember her name apart from it starting with an E) walking up and down the queue holding the little white board with all the batches called, she must do some powerlifting as I don’t think I saw her lower it :p

also the guy on photo D for Robert Patrick, had a can of cherry coke and kept moaning it was horrible yet kept drinking it; and tried eating a boost bar but everytime he went for a bite someone would ask for help, must have took 20 mins to eat and made me laugh a bit 

1 hour ago, melliott1963 said:

On the whole I had positive experiences with the crew.

Have to echo the praise someone else has already said to the person on photoshoot F who was holding up a small whiteboard with the guest name and current batch number. Why can something like this be done for all photoshoot areas, as it made it very clear what was going on?

I've seen that board at H and E as well, but seems it was not done consistently. I will put this on my list of notes for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

I've seen that board at H and E as well, but seems it was not done consistently. I will put this on my list of notes for sure.

Yeah they were doing it at C for the Bernard Cribbens shoot too at least.

Many thanks to the crew member who introduced the Brendan Fraser talk on Sunday, she did an excellent job! Her positive energy came across very well and she led enthusiastic rounds of applause for Brendan at the start and end of the talk. She helped to create a fun and engaging atmosphere :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Queen_Sindel said:

Was being done at B IIRC on Friday, but wasn't being held up for all to see.

The crew managed to have some fun with it, though, for my last 2 photoshoots. For Kirk Acevedo, they had #NotShatner and with Robert Picardo, they had #NotPicard. :lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Was being done at B IIRC on Friday, but wasn't being held up for all to see.

The crew managed to have some fun with it, though, for my last 2 photoshoots. For Kirk Acevedo, they had #NotShatner and with Robert Picardo, they had #NotPicard. :lol:

Yeah, that sign had some fun text on Friday :lol:

Once again the crew were amazing. I love that you often see the same people year on year returning to crew the events and they are always fun, enthusiastic and really helpful (and often very complimentary of outfits!). Massive thanks to them for spending the weekend on their feet, dealing with hundred and hundreds of people with different queries and needs, often in very hot conditions too. I genuinely think you're awesome and do an amazing job. Unfortunately, I did encounter quite a few rude con=goers over the weekend who were either just rude, or were tired and frustrated and were taking it out on the crew. One woman next to me when getting the VQ ticket for Val Kilmer kept snapping at the poor woman giving out the tickets and then, when she got one, kept snarling at her saying "I need two tickets. I SAID I NEEDED TWO TICKETS". The poor woman had hundreds of hands all waving in front of her wanting VQ tickets and this woman just kept snapping and snarling until she was given a second VQ ticket, all the while other people were wanting tickets and asking questions. I know the urgency to get the VQ tickets, but things like 'please' and 'thank you' go a long way. Everyone is trying their best. And this is why I think the crew do such an incredible job.

• Like 3

*Emperor Palpatine voice* "Good, let the smile flow through you" is needed for the lovely lady in charge of Ian McDiarmid's queue. I did personally thank her after I got the autograph but I think she deserves praise on this forum. Ian's queue was a nightmare to be honest, though through no fault of Ian's it must be said. There were SO MANY Diamond pass guests in the morning, in addition to a photoshoot and then a private signing that it looked like VQ holders might not get a look in till very very late. Unlike a lot of others, I understood that there was nothing more she could do and she was genuinely trying her best to get as many people an autograph as she could. Some were losing their temper with her which was completely unfair. First batch of VQ's opened around 3pm, and a lot us had been waiting around for 6 hours at this point, including her. And yet, she still had a bounce in her step, smiling and making it a lot more enjoyable than it would have been with a crew member who might have mentally given up. She was, to put it simply, fantastic. And of course, once I got to the front and met the legend that is Ian McDiarmid, the queuing was completely worth it, as it always is. Polite, friendly and a joy to meet. 

• Like 4

I will always give praise to crew member Sarah Jane (Val Kilmer Saturday, Nicole De Boer Sunday) not just because she is a friend of my partner but because she is damned good at what she does!!

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:57 AM, LesserJowl said:

The tall guy organizing the queue on Photo A became my hero over the weekend. Extremely efficient under sometimes incredibly difficult circumstances.

You saved my bacon a couple of times, thank you!

If that was Fri and/or Sat, that would have been Phil.  He does do a marvellous job organizing the photoshoot queues, which is why he often ends up in those areas!

Just to add my own appreciation for all the crew.  My particular sympathies go to those who were working in the pits of hell (aka the main guest signing area - I was absolutely melting in there, but at least I could escape from time to time), but as usual, everyone I met was friendly and helpful.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bazza96 said:

*Emperor Palpatine voice* "Good, let the smile flow through you" is needed for the lovely lady in charge of Ian McDiarmid's queue. I did personally thank her after I got the autograph but I think she deserves praise on this forum. Ian's queue was a nightmare to be honest, though through no fault of Ian's it must be said. There were SO MANY Diamond pass guests in the morning, in addition to a photoshoot and then a private signing that it looked like VQ holders might not get a look in till very very late. Unlike a lot of others, I understood that there was nothing more she could do and she was genuinely trying her best to get as many people an autograph as she could. Some were losing their temper with her which was completely unfair. First batch of VQ's opened around 3pm, and a lot us had been waiting around for 6 hours at this point, including her. And yet, she still had a bounce in her step, smiling and making it a lot more enjoyable than it would have been with a crew member who might have mentally given up. She was, to put it simply, fantastic. And of course, once I got to the front and met the legend that is Ian McDiarmid, the queuing was completely worth it, as it always is. Polite, friendly and a joy to meet. 

I have to agree, one of the nicest members of staff I've encountered during my visits to LFCC, and especially as Ian was the first DP I ever got. She managed to squeeze me into the line before Ian went off for his throne photoshoot (which was a little fortunate as he got plenty of practice using paint pens with guests before me, right before I also handed him a thin nib paint pen to use on some cards!), had a good chat about how it was going, and I came back a couple times later on to see how she was doing and how the queue was (very slowly) progressing. The situation definitely made me realise buying a DP was a good idea, and she handled matters excellently.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 6:34 AM, andyfilm_1 said:

The crew were great for my photoshoots but will need to look into getting microphones or something so they don’t have to shout.

However, the red shirt guy managing Jason Momoa’s photo queue on Sat was great entertainment:

”BATCHES 1 to 8! COME ON DOWWWN!!”

One of the best organised photo areas hsd a whote board and they held that up displaying what was being called didnt habe to shout at all.   I found it avoided the srea getting ovrr-crowded too and people who hsd just arrived having to run up to blue or red shirt asking what was being called as it was easily visible.   It was the least manic photo area i was at all weekend.  Think it was c.

Another shout-out to the crew.

Sarah Jane at Val Kilmer's area was fantastic, as was "Mr Loud" (Andrew?) calling at Photo C on Saturday afternoon and the guy (sorry, no idea of the name) who was calling the Aimee and Tom photo shoot on Sunday in Photo A. I noticed these last 2 at my first con (last year) and it was great to see them doing a great job yet again.

Some grumbling around the mess experienced with the Sunday prop shoot with Martin Sheen (golds not even being considered), but this was a minor thing for me.

All in all, a good job done by the crew that allowed me to have a fantastic weekend.

• Like 1

All the crew we interacted with were really good and helpful. My daughter took small bags of haribo with her to hand out to the crew to say thanks and she had a great time passing them out and got some lovely responses. We only managed to get one crew member name at the Matthew lillard photos on sunday, Dave was lovely and chatted with lauren and shared his sweets :smile:

• Like 4