Great day at LFCC but...

2 minutes ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

Comments like that should be keep to themselves becuase I have my hair covering my ears as I dont like to have them on show it gets abit annoying having to keep proving it to everyone by yanking my hair back, had to actually show memebers of the crew at one point becuase I couldnt hear him he ended up just tutting at me. As there is no loop feed and the venue gets noisy makes it even harder

DP passes have the right to go before you guys have paid for the priviledge of going in first I had batch one on Tom felton and waited quietly to one side untill they where called and joined the queue he thought that I was abusing the system but had been waiting like everyone else . I did give a smile I didnt want to shout out incase you thought I was a crazy lady lol but glad i got a glimpse nice to put faces to the forum :lol:

Yeah, at most someone could have the thought, but it's not their business about what someone's disability is, and it should therefore stay as that. Far as I'm concerned, if someone asks if an extra help can be fitted in in front of me, go for it!

Oh, don't you worry, I know everyone around me was crazy! :lol: Yeah, I've only put 2 and 2 together and thought it was you from your profile pic. At least it was another face from here I seen, even if I didn't realise it was you. lol

• Haha 1

Just now, wjbleming said:

Yeah, at most someone could have the thought, but it's not their business about what someone's disability is, and it should therefore stay as that. Far as I'm concerned, if someone asks if an extra help can be fitted in in front of me, go for it!

Oh, don't you worry, I know everyone around me was crazy! :lol: Yeah, I've only put 2 and 2 together and thought it was you from your profile pic. At least it was another face from here I seen, even if I didn't realise it was you. lol

Wjbleming, were you at the Jenna Coleman AM photoshoot on Sat, I think I spotted you?

12 minutes ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

Comments like that should be keep to themselves becuase I have my hair covering my ears as I dont like to have them on show it gets abit annoying having to keep proving it to everyone by yanking my hair back, had to actually show memebers of the crew at one point becuase I couldnt hear him he ended up just tutting at me. As there is no loop feed and the venue gets noisy makes it even harder

DP passes have the right to go before you guys have paid for the priviledge of going in first I had batch one on Tom felton and waited quietly to one side untill they where called and joined the queue he thought that I was abusing the system but had been waiting like everyone else . I did give a smile I didnt want to shout out incase you thought I was a crazy lady lol but glad i got a glimpse nice to put faces to the forum :lol:

I have always had the impression that in Photo Shoots, they put Extra Help in first, but in auto lines you are expedited to the extent possible (i.e. if you have a VQT, and the line is open for your number, you are put towards the front of the queue, usually behind the last DP person.

Certainly what is suggested in the accessibility page, and what I have experienced over the last few years, and when operated properly, seems to work. Its when people have no manners and consideration for others that it starts getting fractious. (And as per my previous post, when I have wanted to be absolutely sure of an auto, I have gone DP as well).

Edited by blueboy1894
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, blueboy1894 said:

I have always had the impression that in Photo Shoots, they put Extra Help in first, but in auto lines you are expedited to the extent possible (i.e. if you have a VQT, and the line is open for your number, you are put towards the front of the queue, usually behind the last DP person.

Certainly what is suggested in the accessibility page, and what I have experienced over the last few years, and when operated properly, seems to work. Its when people have no manners and consideration for others that it starts getting fractious. (And as per my previous post, when I have wanted to be absolutely sure of an auto, I have gone DP as well).

This was usually my experience that once I showed my wristband I was put usually at the door of the booth without many issues. 

6 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

There needs to be more people like you that have understanding , I am glad i caught a glimpse now next time i can actually say hello properly with out me awkwardly trying to stare you out lol;)

2 minutes ago, blueboy1894 said:

Certainly what is suggested in the accessibility page, and what I have experienced over the last few years, and when operated properly, seems to work. Its when people have no manners and consideration for others that it starts getting fractious.

See I thought it was after DP passes which I was happy to wait for I didnt go striaght till his queue I waited twenty minutes as I sat down and left it till late as possible and then went over in which I witnessed a pit boss shout at a lady with a walking stick to wait untill the end of the shoot if she couldnt handle walking, a few people complained about this crew memeber just as I got out of the shoot and what they had witnessed. I think both crew and general public reactions where just as bad and a lack of knowledge of knowing what the band means caused the confusion to. General public just think its a way to cheat the system even though you have to prove it before you get the band anyway

I had VQs for people and even when my number was called I was told to wait further back for twenty minutes I waited and other access walked up and was lead to the front I didnt even want to push to the front I just wanted to go in to the queue, when I showed her my band she just said your have to wait like everyone else you dont deserve your band. Same happened in the brenden frasier photo shoot I waited till DP passes had been called I had batch 2 was told I had to join the back of a queue ok I did and waitd 45 minutes in the mean time some access was pulled to the front and taken striaght though by crew i was told if they see you as capable then you have to join the back of the queue like everyone else.

1 minute ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

See I thought it was after DP passes which I was happy to wait for I didnt go striaght till his queue I waited twenty minutes as I sat down and left it till late as possible and then went over in which I witnessed a pit boss shout at a lady with a walking stick to wait untill the end of the shoot if she couldnt handle walking, a few people complained about this crew memeber just as I got out of the shoot and what they had witnessed. I think both crew and general public reactions where just as bad and a lack of knowledge of knowing what the band means caused the confusion to. General public just think its a way to cheat the system even though you have to prove it before you get the band anyway

I had VQs for people and even when my number was called I was told to wait further back for twenty minutes I waited and other access walked up and was lead to the front I didnt even want to push to the front I just wanted to go in to the queue, when I showed her my band she just said your have to wait like everyone else you dont deserve your band. Same happened in the brenden frasier photo shoot I waited till DP passes had been called I had batch 2 was told I had to join the back of a queue ok I did and waitd 45 minutes in the mean time some access was pulled to the front and taken striaght though by crew i was told if they see you as capable then you have to join the back of the queue like everyone else.

Yeap, there is quite clearly a thing with visible vs invisible disability training here. I get they cannot give every volunteer a full disability awareness course, but its fairly easy to at least raise that awareness in briefings and in what information is given to volunteers. Being told "You don't deserve your band" is absolutely unacceptable behaviour, it is not for them to judge your level of capability. Perhaps even lanyards or badges or different coloured bands to show that your disability isn't visible. Things can be done, but doing things cost money, and we are all asked to undertake our own risk assessments.

One can but suggest things, and hope they are taken up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blueboy1894 said:

Yeap, there is quite clearly a thing with visible vs invisible disability training here. I get they cannot give every volunteer a full disability awareness course, but its fairly easy to at least raise that awareness in briefings and in what information is given to volunteers. Being told "You don't deserve your band" is absolutely unacceptable behaviour, it is not for them to judge your level of capability. Perhaps even lanyards or badges or different coloured bands to show that your disability isn't visible. Things can be done, but doing things cost money, and we are all asked to undertake our own risk assessments.

One can but suggest things, and hope they are taken up.

this is no way a dig at showmasters and the comic con they run because the people they employ our volunteers at the end of the day, I think venue aspect has improved and the quailty of guests, and the overall way it was conducted was fantastic, its just the few that have let it down a combination of heat, long days and a rush of people wanting the same thing made everyone a bit cranky and miserable and a select few that may have not been briefed properly.

Can only have faith that this is something that can be addressed for next year and mayb in a briefing in the morning go though what the bands mean so crew understand a little more what each one is about may help for next time round

1 minute ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

this is no way a dig at showmasters and the comic con they run because the people they employ our volunteers at the end of the day, I think venue aspect has improved and the quailty of guests, and the overall way it was conducted was fantastic, its just the few that have let it down a combination of heat, long days and a rush of people wanting the same thing made everyone a bit cranky and miserable and a select few that may have not been briefed properly.

Can only have faith that this is something that can be addressed for next year and mayb in a briefing in the morning go though what the bands mean so crew understand a little more what each one is about may help for next time round

100% agree with all of the above.

• Like 3

I think they need to tell the crew at future cons and make it very clear that it is not their job to judge if a person is worthy of the extra help band they're wearing, this has already been done when the person recieved it, and be respectful and keep their thoughts to them selves.

Edited by VikingGrrrl
  • Like 8

Just now, VikingGrrrl said:

I think they need to tell the crew at future cons and make it very clear that it is not their job to judge if a person is worthy of the extra help band they're wearing, this has already been done when the person recieved it, and the be respectful and keep their thoughts to them selves.

exactly that they also shouldnt pick and choose who is more capable and who isnt it should be the same rule for all

• Like 3

A some occasions I saw a really nice gesture from the crew, at the photo ops, B and C and H. Some antendees were asked if they had been drinking enough water today and if they did not have a bottle they handed one over. Things like this makes me smile.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, blueboy1894 said:

My experience was mixed. Every single one of the Photoshoot pit bosses I spoke to over the weekend were incredibly nice, helpful and accommodating, I cannot fault them, and in the Carrie Ann Moss photoshoot, one crew member even found me a chair when it was clear she was going to be late to the shoot (Carrie Ann was incredibly nice when she did arrive however). All of them eased the stress of the day, and made us feel welcome and respected.

There are some negatives however. On Saturday, the Extra Help queue and the Main Queue were released together, when extra help are supposed to go five minutes before. If nothing else this allows us to get clear of the crazy runners for VQTs that seem to have become a feature of LFCC in recent years sadly, even if it doesn't allow us enough time to get upstairs for VQTs ourselves (I'm okay with that, I took the decision to stick to photos and enjoy the con without standing in the longest lines this year anyway, and I have waited downstairs whilst my carer went for them in previous years). The result was we had Extra Help coming from the left, crossing a throng of running con-goers from the right. I pointed this out to security that it was incredibly dangerous and could result in life-changing injury, and received an offensive gesture behind my back which I did not see, but which my Carer did as we moved off. I have 3 separate spine conditions, the only visible evidence of which is a stick and a limp. Someone knocks me off my feet at full tilt, I won't be getting up without a paramedic. We wisely went up the middle aisle towards the back as the runners went for the stairs.

In one photo queue we had a DP holder that very pointedly moved to sit cross-legged in front of the Extra Help queue that he had clearly seen the Pit Boss organise, and then acted like a petulant child when told to go stand behind us. I get he's paid a premium, but he was being asked to let a grand total of half a dozen people go first and clear the area before it got crazy. Sadly, there will always be a few ignorant people who believe money can excuse them from having manners. Even with extra help, I have invested in DPs in the past as well, but even then, there have been people with greater need than I (in my opinion) whom I have happily said "after you" to.

Seating, sadly, is a problem at most conventions, and what seating there is on fold up plastic chairs with no support, which is presumably what the venue can provide. There isn't an easy way round it, mostly for H&S reasons, but yes, it would be very nice to be able to have even just a normal conference chair with a full back to sit on every once in a while (we are considering bringing our own next year). We had to beg, borrow, and steal seats where we could, and once this met with some very terse words from a crewmember.

All that said, as above, I had lots of positive experiences with crew this weekend, I do believe the good very much outweighs the bad. 

I had a great time overall, but the security needs training properly, the VQT system definitely needs an overhaul, and pit bosses need the authority to deal with anyone being offensive in their line.

I agree.  I overheard the tannoy say that we were going in first.  Then as I was walking up the stairs, 2-3 people flew past me.  I said to my sister (who was my carer) that if there was an incident similar to Manchester, it would be a nightmare to get out and certainly unsafe (as I also saw people sitting on the stairs during the day).

17 minutes ago, blueboy1894 said:

100% agree with all of the above.

Same here! I agree with you.  Those in Blue T-Shirts need to be made aware what happens with people wearing the 'extra help' wristbands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy1894 said:

I did one photoshoot this year, I don't normally do any, but I had a DP and stupid to waste it heh, was buying mostly to ensure I got the autographs. DP were called first, then Extra Help and Gold pass together, then the regular batches.

There is definitely a lack of awareness about what constitutes a disability. People think if they can't see your disability then you must not be disabled. I had mobility problems for years that I could have been receiving benefits like a blue badge for but because they weren't visible I never did. It was only when I got stuck using my crutch I finally caved. Even now when I park in a disabled spot and get out of the car I see the looks from some people until I get my crutch from the back seat. It's ridiculous.

People who have received the extra help wristband have already had to provide proof which isn't easy to get if you don't legitimately have a problem. Showmasters is strict about it, as they should be to prevent people from abusing the system, and won't just hand over a band to someone who rocks up with a crutch or a wheelchair to get a head start on the queues. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

I did one photoshoot this year, I don't normally do any, but I had a DP and stupid to waste it heh, was buying mostly to ensure I got the autographs. DP were called first, then Extra Help and Gold pass together, then the regular batches.

I think the main reason they used to call extra help first was when it was largely wheelchairs. It is impossible to get wheelchairs to queue round the zig zag white lines they use so it makes sense to do that but since everyone with non visible disabilities now deservedly gets help too it is maybe easier to get some to queue behind the DP’s but for people with anxiety it must be hell so they should all just get through first and allow the area to be clear for non-disabled guests to queue up without fear of upsetting or worse, injuring a help requirer or themselves.

10 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

There is definitely a lack of awareness about what constitutes a disability. People think if they can't see your disability then you must not be disabled. I had mobility problems for years that I could have been receiving benefits like a blue badge for but because they weren't visible I never did. It was only when I got stuck using my crutch I finally caved. Even now when I park in a disabled spot and get out of the car I see the looks from some people until I get my crutch from the back seat. It's ridiculous.

People who have received the extra help wristband have already had to provide proof which isn't easy to get if you don't legitimately have a problem. Showmasters is strict about it, as they should be to prevent people from abusing the system, and won't just hand over a band to someone who rocks up with a crutch or a wheelchair to get a head start on the queues. 

Exactly Ella. Legitimate problems and you bet they are strict about it. If someone has a band THEY NEED THE HELP PERIOD. My partner always gets up out of her chair onto her crutches so she can stand with the guest even though it causes her vast pain to do so the looks she gets from some people thinking oh she just stood up so why all that fuss with the chair. We learned to shrug it all off years ago but some people find it harder to do that (see @DCGIRL1987‘s experiences for example). It’s not Showmasters with the problem (ok apart from a couple of blue shirts who need a bit more training) it’s still society’s I’m afraid.

Edited by Ravogd

5 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

I think the main reason they used to call extra help first was when it was largely wheelchairs. It is impossible to get wheelchairs to queue round the zig zag white lines they use so it makes sense to do that but since everyone with non visible disabilities now deservedly gets help too it is maybe easier to get some to queue behind the DP’s but for people with anxiety it must be hell so they should all just get through first and allow the area to be clear for non-disabled guests to queue up without fear of upsetting or worse, injuring a help requirer or themselves.

Exactly Ella. Legitimate problems and you bet they are strict about it. If someone has a band THEY NEED THE HELP PERIOD. My partner always gets up out of her chair onto her crutches so she can stand with the guest even though it causes her vast pain to do so the looks she gets from some people thinking oh she just stood up so why all that fuss with the chair. We learned to shrug it all off years ago but some people find it harder to do that (see @DCGIRL1987‘s experiences for example). It’s not Showmasters with the problem (ok apart from a couple of blue shirts who need a bit more training) it’s still society’s I’m afraid.

I usually hand my crutch off to the crew member standing at the side. They got to know me by the end of the weekend so they were reaching for it :lol:. But yeah it's only a few steps and a lot of the time the guest is happy to help me back to the crutch even though I don't really have a problem then since the shoot is only a few seconds. I'm sure it does raise a few eyebrows from the queue but no one has ever actually mentioned anything. I just don't want my ugly crutch in the photo with me.

• Like 1

I had quite an amusing experience on the Saturday. As I was wearing a blue t-shirt and a Jenna Coleman diamond pass round my neck, a load of people thought I was Showmasters crew and asked 101 questions. To begin with I actually had the answers and was happy to help but after about the tenth time I thought I'd better let them know I wasn't staff! I must of been asked around 20 times for advice/info hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, shodgson said:

I had quite an amusing experience on the Saturday. As I was wearing a blue t-shirt and a Jenna Coleman diamond pass round my neck, a load of people thought I was Showmasters crew and asked 101 questions. To begin with I actually had the answers and was happy to help but after about the tenth time I thought I'd better let them know I wasn't staff! I must of been asked around 20 times for advice/info hahaha

Everybody learns very quickly not to wear red or blue t-shirts at Showmasters events, especially if you are wearing DP laminates too :lol:

• Like 1

I don't get PIP, because it is nigh-on impossible to get, and because local councils decide who gets a blue badge, and Manchester doesn't hand them out for spinal cases, I don't get that either. What I do have is a series of letters from my spinal consultant which say "This gentleman cannot stand for long periods as his spine is fried, he needs your assistance."

My carer is themselves autistic and we support each other throughout the day. Showmasters' policy is less restrictive than some others which often specify PIP or Higher-Rate DLA, but you are checked to ensure you're not cheating the system, and its organised much better than most. Its a godsend for me, LFCC would flat-out not be possible for me without one.

And yes, I've handed my stick to crewmembers before, though luckily if they are torso shots, even if I keep it, it doesn't show in the picture. I can walk a short distance without it (Areas E and F this year were in carpeted rooms which was an absolute joy, cushioning for the feet makes a huge difference).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

Everybody learns very quickly not to wear red or blue t-shirts at Showmasters events, especially if you are wearing DP laminates too :lol:

Haha it was so funny. Most of the people were in stitches when they realised. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, blueboy1894 said:

I don't get PIP, because it is nigh-on impossible to get, and because local councils decide who gets a blue badge, and Manchester doesn't hand them out for spinal cases, I don't get that either. What I do have is a series of letters from my spinal consultant which say "This gentleman cannot stand for long periods as his spine is fried, he needs your assistance."

My carer is themselves autistic and we support each other throughout the day. Showmasters' policy is less restrictive than some others which often specify PIP or Higher-Rate DLA, but you are checked to ensure you're not cheating the system, and its organised much better than most. Its a godsend for me, LFCC would flat-out not be possible for me without one.

And yes, I've handed my stick to crewmembers before, though luckily if they are torso shots, even if I keep it, it doesn't show in the picture. I can walk a short distance without it (Areas E and F this year were in carpeted rooms which was an absolute joy, cushioning for the feet makes a huge difference).

I do get PIP but I'm lucky it is disgustingly impossible to get. DLA was already difficult and then they changed the requirements for PIP to make it be that you had to be even more disabled to qualify. I was terrified when it came to switching because I would lose my car but I got lucky. My mother got turned down from PIP when she was dying of cancer. The assessor turned up to our house and left after 10 minutes. She scored zero and died less than 6 months later. 

People (and certain newspapers who I won't name) who go on about people cheating the system are really unaware of how restrictive the system is.

• Like 2