Queuing in the morning

3 minutes ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

along with being deaf I have oesteoporosis so standing for anything longer than a few hours can cause my joints to stiffen and occasionally pop out sitting down is the only option I have, sadly if I want to meet the guests and get VQ tickets I have to start queuing this early otherwise I wouldnt have a chance its the only way

May I ask: is it similar to Osteogenesis imperfecta? 

5 minutes ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

along with being deaf I have oesteoporosis so standing for anything longer than a few hours can cause my joints to stiffen and occasionally pop out sitting down is the only option I have, sadly if I want to meet the guests and get VQ tickets I have to start queuing this early otherwise I wouldnt have a chance its the only way

I'm sorry if my post sounded mean towards those who HAVE to sit, that wasn't my intention. I have had 2 knee ops & CAN'T sit, or I wouldn't get up again.

It's more the people that sit & refuse to move when the queue moves, so you have to step over them... totally unnecessary.

Edited by Starbuck73
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

It's not the sitting on the floor that's the problem. I've reached the age where getting up again in a dignified and ladylike fashion - that's the problem. :laugh:

Haha this. Might take me a bit longer to get up than a few years ago.

• Haha 1

Do you not qualify for the accessibility pass? That would certainly help. Standing for a long time with osteoperosis sounds terrible.

1 minute ago, EllaBlair said:

Do you not qualify for the accessibility pass? That would certainly help. Standing for a long time with osteoperosis sounds terrible.

Yes, last year they had seats at the front of the entry queue for those who had accessibility passes.

I was going to apply myself this year but missed the date. :(

1 minute ago, Starbuck73 said:

Yes, last year they had seats at the front of the entry queue for those who had accessibility passes.

I was going to apply myself this year but missed the date. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you bring your documents to the accessibility entrance they will still accomodate you on the day. 

2 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

May I ask: is it similar to Osteogenesis imperfecta? 

yes very similar except more in the case of brittle bones my joints click and crack all over the place, mainly around the joints if you ever speak to me I can let you hear my jaw and fingers they all crack terribly lol i normally do a lot aquafit and other exercise like gentle yoga but its something you have to keep up everyday

4 minutes ago, Starbuck73 said:

I'm sorry if my post sounded mean towards those who HAVE to sit, that wasn't my intention. I have had 2 knee ops & CAN'T sit, or I wouldn't get up again.

It's more the people that sit & refuse to move when the queue moves, so you have to step over them... totally unnecessary.

of course I get what you mean especially when the queue starts to move my bug bare to, you just want to get going its harder for others it must be hard for you to be on you legs all day with knee ops hope someone is there for this weekend

4 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

actually I do but I have never taken advance of it because theres people worse of than me and I come with friends, normally take some painkillers and slap a smile on and eat cake

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Starbuck73 said:

Trust me, it is so easy to get misunderstood at forums and social media, it is a negative side of it. I have learnt to ask before I judge but I understand it is a super rare thing to do. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, evilfairie said:

And for those who are cough more round in girth cough.  Getting up is not dignified.

1 minute ago, EllaBlair said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you bring your documents to the accessibility entrance they will still accomodate you on the day. 

I think you might be able to so it's worth bringing them and asking on the day - it obviously doesn't help much with early entry queuing but it's worth asking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

actually I do but I have never taken advance of it because theres people worse of than me and I come with friends, normally take some painkillers and slap a smile on and eat cake

And while you think there are people worse than you I can guarantee there are people who are in a better condition using the system too. If you qualify for it take it. Anything that makes the event easier in my opinion. It's there for a reason. I say this as someone who's using it for the 3rd time this year. It's a lifesaver when it comes to the queues honestly, I can't praise the extra help they give enough.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

There were certainly a couple of people I saw doing this last year yes.

2 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

And while you think there are people worse than you I can guarantee there are people who are in a better condition using the system too. If you qualify for it take it. Anything that makes the event easier in my opinion. It's there for a reason. I say this as someone who's using it for the 3rd time this year. It's a lifesaver when it comes to the queues honestly, I can't praise the extra help they give enough.

Hear hear. You should take it. I also cannot speak highly enough for the assistance my partner gets in her wheel chair. It's not easy going around at butt height all day!

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I think you might be able to so it's worth bringing them and asking on the day - it obviously doesn't help much with early entry queuing but it's worth asking.

I don't have any documentation for my knees on paper, that's the only problem. I also have chronic kidney disease (undocumented) which exhausts me.

My son also has ADHD & Autism, but I have no idea where his paperwork is, as we are trying to move house at the moment. :rolleyes:

Edited by Starbuck73
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DCGIRL1987 said:

You should not have to do that if there is help/support to get that you have all the right to get. Even if pills help you are entitled to have a great time without it and help you are entitled to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Starbuck73 said:

I don't have any documentation for my knees on paper, that's the only problem. I also have chronic kidney disease (undocumented) which exhausts me.

That's a shame. Unfortunately there's nothing they can do without "proof" (hate that way of saying it). In future though a letter from your doctor explaining your knee issue should be acceptable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

I think its because its not something you look at as obvious if you get what I mean people seem to judge you and think that your useing the system, becuase I am always smiling and cheery people just think your making it up this year I did get a hospital letter recommendation and applied due to over the years and how popular that con has now become queuing has become longer and showmasters does do really well at getting everyone though

2 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

You should not have to do that if there is help/support to get that you have all the right to get. Even if pills help you are entitled to have a great time without it and help you are entitled to.

This time I am going on my own so I applied usually I just line up with my friends really early I have a detailed letter now which is why I applied and hopefully people odnt look at me and think that im absuing it

• Like 1

@DCGIRL1987 if people think you're abusing the system ignore them. I have an obvious disability (I use a crutch) and still get looks when I used disabled parking until I retrieve my crutch from the back of the car. People are far too quick to judge and don't realise not all disabilities are visible. Since you applied for the pass use the extra help entrance it will make your life so much easier. Then you won't have to queue for hours.

• Like 1

I think its because its not something you look at as obvious if you get what I mean people seem to judge you and think that your useing the system, becuase I am always smiling and cheery people just think your making it up this year I did get a hospital letter recommendation and applied due to over the years and how popular that con has now become queuing has become longer and showmasters does do really well at getting everyone though

This time I am going on my own so I applied usually I just line up with my friends really early I have a detailed letter now which is why I applied and hopefully people odnt look at me and think that im absuing it

Sadly people will always think you are abusing it. My partner has had comments that we've heard when getting slotted into a queue even though hers is a visible disability. Everybody has to understand Showmasters don't just hand them out to anybody who asks. They've seen your documentation. Everyone who has it deserves it and needs it.

Edited by Ravogd

12 minutes ago, Raylenth said:
20 minutes ago, evilfairie said:

And for those who are cough more round in girth cough.  Getting up is not dignified.

I can sit down and stand up again without using my hands. It may not sound like much, but it's the one thing in my life that I'm proud of.

12 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

That's a shame. Unfortunately there's nothing they can do without "proof" (hate that way of saying it). In future though a letter from your doctor explaining your knee issue should be acceptable.

I have a doctors note for my kidneys, as I am restricted for my working hours at the moment. Close to transplant stage.

1 minute ago, Starbuck73 said:

I have a doctors note for my kidneys, as I am restricted for my working hours at the moment. Close to transplant stage.

Bring it to the extra help entrance and see if they will accept it without pre registering.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

Bring it to the extra help entrance and see if they will accept it without pre registering.

Found it & have packed it. Will see what they say. Arriving tomorrow but have tickets for Sat & Sun.

Would it be worth me going round tomorrow to enquire about it when I arrive? We are staying 10 mins from the venue.