New terminator film!

CookieS

So how does everyone feel about the new terminator film? Im personally thrilled that we are getting sarah connor back in all her badass glory. But just hoping the storyline lives up to expectation, as apparently it ignores all the altered timelines that were created in the previous films.

So thoughts? Feelings? 

1 hour ago, Wrong Name said:

I didn't like the trailer. I'll give it a chance in the cinema, but by the looks of it, it's gonna be another disappointing sequel.

I haven't seen the trailer yet, but from what I've read online, I think you're right.

22 minutes ago, CookieS said:

Im really hoping that with linda Hamilton on board they will pull it out the bag. I liked genesys as as a sequal but 3 and4 were naff. I actually prefer 2 to the original !!

I think general opinion is that T2 is one of those rare sequels that is better than the original. I haven’t liked any of the sequels after that really. Except T2:3D at the Universal Studios parks (now all gone sadly :() but i’m Not sure that counts! 

Edited by Wrong Name

I'm looking forward to another expansion of the terminator world.

Although I'm not going to be too surprised if it doesn't do as well as hoped. Like a lot of sequels/reboots etc, people's expectations of how they think it "should be" generally dictate the reviews after. While genysis had a stinker of a "twist" (for some reason shown to everyone in the trailer), most of the films have varying degrees of merit to an extent. I do seem to recall tho that with every subsequent film James Cameron either being involved or commenting along the lines of "it's in the right hands". Then as soon as they don't perform as well as hoped by the studios, he washes his hands of it. 

The fact that the franchise is finally back in James Cameron’s hands means it deserves a chance. I’ll give it that. Cameron’s been thinking about this a long, long time and watched as lots of people have screwed “his” baby. Like Brasco says he’s talked a lot but that’s just courtesy before release followed by realism afterwards. I am looking forward to it with optimism which is rare for a cynical old fart like me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No one trusts James Cameron anymore after he told everyone Terminator: Genisys (2015) was good.

For the new film, Cameron co-wrote the story along with Davis S. Goyer - that's two screenwriters I really admire although Goyer has written (and directed) some duds in the past like Blade: Trinity (2004).

My main worry is that they'll do an Alien: Covenant (2017) or The Predator (2018) where the writers introduce this new idea that changes everything we thought about Terminator lore. Eg. they'll suddenly try telling us that John is not the future leader after all ( this might explain why he's not even mentioned in the trailer). The Alien, Predator and Terminator have always been the holy trinity for me so I'm almost certain I won't like Terminator: Dark Fate (2019).

• 2 months later...

4/5* (No spoilers)

TERMINATOR: DARK FATE was surprisingly great.

Although I enjoyed the film a lot, it wasn't without a few disappointments along the way. And a massive plot-hole (or two) that  I'll choose to ignore. But by far the biggest let-down for me was the opening scene where we see a direct continuation of T2 complete with a de-aged T-800, Sarah and John Connor. The scene was criminally short and didn't hold the weight it should have done to carry out Sarah's emotional arc of the rest of the film. But nevertheless Linda Hamilton back as Sarah was able to telegraph a lot of emotion in her performance to make up for it. I know a lot of fans will be annoyed at the direction they chose to take with this film but I think some of the decisions were necessary to give flavour to the relationship between Sarah and the T-800 aka "Carl" (Schwarzenegger) which I thought was probably the best part of the film. 

It's also quite repetitive of the first three films; again a soldier is sent back in time to protect someone of importance from a Terminator also from the future. But that's what the Terminator films are; chase films - TERMINATOR: SALVATION (2008) and TERMINATOR: GENISYS (2015) weren't chase films and they were easily the worst of the franchise. But I thought DARK FATE did a lot to make it fresh with the new set-up and characters and more importantly their relationship with each other which added so many new layers to what might have easily been another simple chase film (which is what T3 was). This is why DARK FATE easily surpasses the previous sequels after T2 in every way.

The action was great and the climax to the film was fantastic and managed to hit some real emotional beats as I was so invested in the characters. I won't say nostalgia had nothing to do with it because it did; it was a joy to see the T-800 and Sarah fight again and actually brought a tear to this geek's eye. And the ending was amazing, really heartfelt.

It's not a classic like the first two films, nothing will beat them, but it's a fun romp and in this day and age of disappointing sequels to films from decades ago. It could have been A LOT worse and I would consider ourselves lucky that this is what we got because DARK FATE is actually a decent enough and worthy continuation of T2 and Sarah Conner's story.

QUESTIONS: Spoilers: 

1) Why did the machines send back a T-800 CSM-101 that looks like Arnold again? Surly John and Sarah would immediately recognize him and be alerted to imminent danger. Hardly a smart tactic for an infiltration unit...and those T-shirt, shorts and shades weren't fooling anyone.

2) In T2 we learned that the T-800 has a chip in his head and a switch has to be reset in order for him to be able to learn more without Skynet's restrictions, right? So how has Carl now learned to adapt to human society and make his own decisions in the past 22 years? Who reset his switch???

3) In T1 and T2 we learned that dogs sniff out Terminators and don't like them so how is it that Carl now has a dog that loves him??

4) Carl has a girlfriend but their relationship is "not physical", so how did he get away with not having sex with her all those years together??? Did he tell her he had a headache every time??

5)  So Carl tips Sarah off and texts her the exact times and locations of each of the terminators that arrived after he did. How did he know when and where they'd be? Did I miss something? He can't be connected to Skynet cos it doesn't exist anymore and why would he have access to a mainframe in the future anyway?

6) Grace has Carl's location tattooed on her belly by her commander in the future. Was her commander Dani? And how did the commander know Carl even existed if there was no Skynet let alone his location or that he would even help (he's a Terminator!)???!!

7) So Sarah changed the future so Skynet no longer exists, right? So how does a T-800 who looks like Arnold CSM-101 come back through time to kill John after Sarah erased Skynet from the future?! He shouldn't exist let alone look like Arnold.  He (and Grace) even confirms Skynet never existed when he tells Rev-9, "I came from that future, it failed". This is the film's biggest plot-hole.

Edited by nicky

• 2 weeks later...